KENJU FOR ATOMISWAVE! UNRELEASED GAME RECOVERED!

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
The part that boggles the mind is that these hacker guys take the time to figure out how to get these games (like recently with Sushi Bar) to run on hacked up Naomi carts, but don't bother to get them onto the fucking platform they were made for and intended to be for; the Atomiswave. I mean, what gives? I agree, fuck $150, I'd pay $300+ for an actual physical cartridge that plays where it was intended to play, on the Atomiswave.

Same! Can we please get a boot for atomiswave! The system it's actually for!

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I can appreciate what your saying. And no, I wouldn't tease about this.
I gave Chicago 1929 longer then it even commanded (time wise) for it to try and conjure up a trade opportunity. I'm throwing in the towel. It was absolutely worth a shot, and that's that, but I'm ready to move on. I'm ready & willing to release the rom to the community. Only one obstacle remains.

What I require as a stipulation is to have the system in place for which the process can be achieved & the objective be fulfilled of the game being made available as a 100% fully functioning & normal plug in cartridge, available for all to build and/or buy for the system. (and the same applied to the other 4 protos).

So yes, I am all in, 100% available and ready to move forward once we get the others involved here to agree to this as well. (I don't see any reason why they wouldn't)

Rather than just wait, how about you give back to the community, like Brian did? If the other owners of the prototypes see that you're doing something, perhaps they'd be willing to do the same?

Shou-sama has had ridiculous stipulations before he releases something (such as recovering half of the money he spent). Don't be that guy. I mean, Chicago 1929, probably, sees the light of day twice a year: Once when you're really bored, and once when you attend that arcade show down in Florida.

Jon

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
Rather than just wait, how about you give back to the community, like Brian did? If the other owners of the prototypes see that you're doing something, perhaps they'd be willing to do the same?

Shou-sama has had ridiculous stipulations before he releases something (such as recovering half of the money he spent). Don't be that guy. I mean, Chicago 1929, probably, sees the light of day twice a year: Once when you're really bored, and once when you attend that arcade show down in Florida.

Jon

There's a reason for what I do. I have recovered over 50 protos here in Japan that would have never seen the light of day without my connections and leverage. I spent $13,000 on 2 protos to prevent hoarders from acquiring them. The donations raised didn't even come close to what I spent (maybe 15%) but we are releasing them (1 is already out which cost $8300). Most of my releases are done without donations whatsoever.

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
There's a reason for what I do. I have recovered over 50 protos here in Japan that would have never seen the light of day without my connections and leverage. I spent $13,000 on 2 protos to prevent hoarders from acquiring them. The donations raised didn't even come close what I spent (maybe 15%). Most of my releases are done without donations whatsoever.

I get it: It's expensive. But, to sit on a game and hoard it until my virtual Kickstarter hits a goal is infuriating.

My brother is friends with one of the MAME devs. The dude drops THOUSANDS of dollars on games all the time. They're all released for free, PCB's sold AFTER they're dumped...end of story. If you want to collect protos, that's one thing but, don't expect to get paid back for it.

Jon

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I am ShouTime. I have 3 of the 5 AW protos.

Billy, I know you have Chicago 1929. Let's all share and work together. It's taken me 4 years to get Kenju to the masses. I have tons of arcade protos that I have acquired for preservation and more are coming including a couple of Neo games that aren't out there. Take a look at my tumblr to see the stuff I have already uncovered.

The reason why AW carts aren't used to make repros is that there is security on the carts that people outside of the bootleggers haven't figured out yet.

Understood. So then the biggest impediment here is that having the protos (and even the roms dumped from them) is, in essence, useless. Of no consequence whatsoever.

As an example, Sushi Bar has been dumped. For awhile now in fact. I've had the rom set sitting on my computer for weeks. But playing Sushi Bar on some computer emulator program, or on some absolute piece of garbage frankensteined Naomi cartridge, is WORTHLESS! That is NOT what I want. And that is NOT what the real Atomiswave gamers & collectors want either. So until we figure out how to put these Proto romsets onto normal plug & play Atomiswave cartridges, there is no point to it. So let's focus on that. Let's figure that out, and then we can finally come full circle here.

Again, they did it with the Ironclad roms on the Wii. And the Crossed Swords 2 roms on the NEO-CD. So same thing here. Put these games in the proper place so they can be played the way they were intended to be played!

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Didn't Sushi Bar have some unique control panel, too? I was under the impression it had WAY more than 5 buttons...

On topic: I'd probably take your (SuperGun and Shou-time) discussion to PM, if you're really serious.

Jon

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
For the love of GOD! Get in touch with someone to make some KENJU boots! We need em shou! please!

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
I get it: It's expensive. But, to sit on a game and hoard it until my virtual Kickstarter hits a goal is infuriating.

My brother is friends with one of the MAME devs. The dude drops THOUSANDS of dollars on games all the time. They're all released for free, PCB's sold AFTER they're dumped...end of story. If you want to collect protos, that's one thing but, don't expect to get paid back for it.

Jon

I'll give you a number - how about over $100k spent on acquiring games for dumping out of my own pocket? How much have i received in donations? single digit %. The average proto is costing me about $3000 now. Mooglyguy has donated much to the cause and deserves props for his contributions.

The point is that acquiring rare games especially protos at this stage is not cheap, not easy, requires connections and time. Do you think anyone can walk into Sega, Taito etc and grab their protos? I have but it requires resources to get there. When I acquire protos, I also have conditions placed upon me. The Japanese collectors and devs do not like sharing but I have penetrated their inner circles. It is so extreme that I have received death threats in Japan for what I do and had to involve the cops to restrain some of these guys. When I do retro talk shows, I walk around with security to ensure the safety of protos due to companies like Konami using the yakuza on collectors to retrieve protos by force.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
On topic: I'd probably take your (SuperGun and Shou-time) discussion to PM, if you're really serious.

Why? There are missing pieces - if there is a chance to have these games put onto carts and played on Atomiswave motherboards - there are many of us who would like to see that pursued. The missing pieces won't see this if it's in PM.

Shou - talk more about the security on AW carts - so there are obviously some folks who've cracked it. Are there others working on it, or would one of them (in China, I presume) need to be contacted?

Shou-sama

Armored Scrum,
I've contacted Billy, waiting for his reply.

I have already looked into repros. If someone knows who the original bootlegger in China is, then PM me.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Looks cool. Like Jet Grind Radio and Rival Schools got mashed up. Hopefully someone can put it on Naomi/Cartridge eventually.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Sigh....

I already see where this is going to blow up.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Darksoft could probably put them on carts no problem.

Mosque

Super Sidekicks 2
I've contacted Billy, waiting for his reply.

I have already looked into repros. If someone knows who the original bootlegger in China is, then PM me.

Supasaru said:
I actually sent a TRF2 off to get copied quite a while ago.... I got it back, so I assumed they didn't copy it.

TRF2 is a great game that is just too rare/expensive. It's good to see there may be boots now.

contact Supasaru. I think he knows the guy

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Looking at the game, its cool to see stuff that couldve been, but at the end of the day this game wouldnt have made much impact to ppl that play fighting games. Rumble Fish 2 is a better game than this looks like it wouldve been and that didnt even get a console release.
Cool to have a boot of it though, just for the sake of having it. If i have to play a turd i prefer it to be polished.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Man i remember right after Sammy vs Capcom was announced, rumor had it that this game and Rival Schools would be prominently featured in the game. I remember vigorously looking for updates on Gamefaqs and SNK-Capcom forums for any news and videos I could on this. Ahhhh the pre Youtube days....

Really nice to see it resurface after all these years.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I'll give you a number - how about over $100k spent on acquiring games for dumping out of my own pocket? How much have i received in donations? single digit %. The average proto is costing me about $3000 now. Mooglyguy has donated much to the cause and deserves props for his contributions.
... I walk around with security to ensure the safety of protos due to companies like Konami using the yakuza on collectors to retrieve protos by force.

Heh...

If you want to digitally preserve rare prototype games, that's fine. If you want collect them, that's also fine. But please don't pretend to be doing a public service by sharing your toys when you are bored with them... worst still expect others to pay for them. I won't be paying you a penny.

Oh that shit about Konami hiring the Yakuza to steal your rare carts? Please...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
this thread is good old vintage ng.com -
should be sponsored by some popcorn company

Yakuza, protos, and $$$
lovely jubly