Anyone getting an Xbox One S?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
sony's too far into the Neo development cycle to change HW without SIGNIFICANT delays. Like, year+. there's been no announcement saying otherwise so the plan to release an underwhelming HW revision is still on.

That's honestly a disappointment. I think it will be *just* powerful enough to handle the VR framerates & upscaling retail games. They should just release it now then. If the Scorpio plays native 4k it will definitely be the king of consoles if they can bribe Japanese devs again like they did in the 360 era.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I don't think I'll by an xbox one at all... at least not in the near future. When the new south park game comes out I'll probably buy a PS4.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Modified slightly for my own use.

Gran Turismo has always been rad. By any chance did you play project cars? That was one release that I was really looking forward to, but I really felt that it didn't deliver. Besides, GT always has a true dream variety of cars. :)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have, like, zero interest in an Xbox One

I have a minor interest in the fancier PS4 model, if I have a 4K TV by then

Nintendo's gonna have to wow me with the NX, otherwise the Wii U/3DS/Vita could be my last dedicated console purchases

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
That's honestly a disappointment. I think it will be *just* powerful enough to handle the VR framerates & upscaling retail games. They should just release it now then. If the Scorpio plays native 4k it will definitely be the king of consoles if they can bribe Japanese devs again like they did in the 360 era.

Japanese developers aren't going to fall for it again.

Current console install bases in Japan
3DS: 21,000,000
Vita: 5,100,000
Wii U: 3,210,000
PS4: 3,000,000
XB1: 67,000

Xbox is dead as fuck in Japan.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Gran Turismo has always been rad. By any chance did you play project cars? That was one release that I was really looking forward to, but I really felt that it didn't deliver. Besides, GT always has a true dream variety of cars. :)

I don't have a current-gen system or a PC, so I have not played Project Cars. Some of the YT videos I've seen make me think it isn't all that, though. Maybe Assetto Corsa will be better. The only real reason that I have a PS3 is for playing GT6, and I bought a Logitech G29 wheel set for playing it precisely because it is PS3 and PS4 compatible, so I'm definitely buying the PS4 over the XBone, even though I would love to have the latter for playing the new Forza games. But I am not going to drop another $300+ on a second racing wheel set on top of buying a next-gen system, so there you go.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I don't have a current-gen system or a PC, so I have not played Project Cars. Some of the YT videos I've seen make me think it isn't all that, though. Maybe Assetto Corsa will be better. The only real reason that I have a PS3 is for playing GT6, and I bought a Logitech G29 wheel set for playing it precisely because it is PS3 and PS4 compatible, so I'm definitely buying the PS4 over the XBone, even though I would love to have the latter for playing the new Forza games. But I am not going to drop another $300+ on a second racing wheel set on top of buying a next-gen system, so there you go.

Forza actually isn't so bad. But, I hear ya' about controller prices. I bought two Xbone Hori RAP Kuro edition joysticks that set me back a little, but they're Windows 10 compatible so if I ever build a 4k gaming rig they'll come in handy.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Nope, I have almost zero interest in the exclusive games Microsoft put out.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I dunno if the S has an SSD or not, but on the current bone I use a USB 3.0 external enclosure with a 2tb HDD. It loads faster then the internal drive.

Do you use an external power source for this external drive? I use this:
10323155.jpg

71jYkXvhzCL._SL1500_.jpg

You can use an extra power supply for this addon but it's not necessary.... the thing is that I never knew if you need an external power source in order to get it load faster or not (and I don't want to spend money on something that won't change anything lol).

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Do you use an external power source for this external drive? I use this:
10323155.jpg

71jYkXvhzCL._SL1500_.jpg

You can use an extra power supply for this addon but it's not necessary.... the thing is that I never knew if you need an external power source in order to get it load faster or not (and I don't want to spend money on something that won't change anything lol).

Nope. Just powered via USB. That enclosure is sexy though.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Nope. Just powered via USB. That enclosure is sexy though.

I see... I thought to get it load faster you needed some extra energy than the one provided by the system only.
Oh yeah, this attachment if really nice, you get extra USB ports and looks like a part of the own console :) just keep in mind it only accepts 2,5'' drives.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
No hype this close to release? Tbh all I ever see for sale anymore is 4k televisions so I must say that I'm a little surprised.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
To me the GoW limited edition looks like shit. It has gamer/manchild written all over it.

Just give us a normal 2 TB S model plz.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
lol didn't realize I already posted in this thread.

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
lol xbone

I wish people would stop supporting Microsoft in their quest to fuck gaming in the face.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've no interest in the new setup. Really, I don't at all like what it represents to the world of video game consoles. I'm actually going to just dump my system and be done with this crap. I think it's time to just get a good pc to game on.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Forza actually isn't so bad. But, I hear ya' about controller prices. I bought two Xbone Hori RAP Kuro edition joysticks that set me back a little, but they're Windows 10 compatible so if I ever build a 4k gaming rig they'll come in handy.

This weekend I found out that because of where I work, I can have a free copy of Windows 10. So I grabbed a hard drive, stuck it in an empty bay on my Mac Pro, and installed Windows 10 on it in a BootCamp setup. Installed and signed up for Steam, and downloaded Project Cars. Got my Logitech G29 setup going with it and drove around for about an hour. I've just been driving solo (which is how I usually play these games) and so far I'm loving it. I'm guessing that the PS3 can go down in the basement with the rest of my newer-gen shit. For the first time in a really long time I have a PC that I can play semi-new games on!

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Gonna wait it out until the project scorpion or whatever comes out. Got a regular Xbox One, no need to trade up right now.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Gonna wait it out until the project scorpion or whatever comes out. Got a regular Xbox One, no need to trade up right now.

I'm excited for the neo & Scorpio too, but that's a year off. I was in the market for a 4K UHD player anyway, and the 4k upscaling is very welcome.

Of course, I don't own any current gen consoles, I sold them off pre-E3 expecting announcements and thus lower resale on older models. I'm bummed that I sold the PS4 off and Sony got cold feet at E3 regarding the Neo, PS4 was my console of choice out of the two.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Initial impressions.

Thank goodness that I read the cnet review first, hooked up the console and it had no video output at all, syncing issue with my 4k set. Very strange, it should have displayed regardless if resolution. Hooked it up to another TV and downloaded the two day one updates via wifi, brought the console back in my room and working fine. Initially 4k upscaling was disabled. You MUST enable HDR on your 4k display to enable upscaling.

I hear the new controller feels like cheap plastic crap and the d-pad feels worse, so used my old xbox one controller. I'll probably sell the new Bluetooth controller as new without taking it out of the baggie after I read more reviews and decide if it's worth keeping.

Once all was said and done threw in DOA5 and plugged in my joystick. I will say that the 4k scaling looks great, and graphics aside, I'd cringe looking at an unscaled 1080p PS4 game after playing on the One S. For this same reason I always bought multiplat titles on 360 over PS3 for the 1080p upscaling. I have an 8core Samsung JS9000, and frankly the internal scaling isn't that amazing. I'd say if you own a 4k display and there's at least some games you'd play that are available, I'll give my seal of approval on this console.

As for the UltraHD Blu-Ray player, I'll pick up a title later today to check it out. For gearheads, this may NOT be the UHD player for you. Why you ask? Apparently the One S doesn't support Dolby Atmos. I don't have an audio setup at all right now, so I don't care. There's also the possibility that support could be easily added in the future via firmware I believe.

That about wraps it up. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. It upscales games wonderfully, has a built in UHD player and also upscales your TV channels should you wish to hook up your cable or satellite box (why not?).

More info later, I'm going back to enjoy my new toy. :)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Update, it appears that the HDMI-in doesn't support 4k pass through?? I do have a few 4K channels, but through the One S my DirecTv box says my "TV" doesn't support 4K. Really silly, I hope they patch this.