Does anyone have an arcade nearby that people hang out at?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So I was reading an article on SRK (http://shoryuken.com/2016/06/23/unc...up-and-importance-of-arcade-culture-in-japan/) that involved the thought that SFV may not last a year simply because there isn't an arcade version for it.

In this day and age it seems ridiculous that an arcade version could kill a game like this but the comments about it were interesting.

JIYUNA said:
If Capcom Pro Tour disappeared next year, do you think Japanese players would be playing #SFV like they do now? Money is keeping it alive. Arcades are incredibly important to Japanese scene. They're not just places you go once a week for a weekly tournament. Players go everyday.They go to hang out with friends. They go to meet new friends. They go because they have no friends. Escape from home. Forget about work.Of course the game is important, but the social aspect is just as important. Netplay can't capture that. Game bars are still too few/small.

So, my question is of the members here who have a good arcade nearby is it still a hangout for friends? Do people still want to go to arcades if there were good ones around?

I've gone to a few here and there of recent and even the best ones don't seem to attract people that want to make friends and hang out. Am I wrong?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This is the first I've heard of SFV not having an arcade version. Sad.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yeah, Round 1 at Eastridge Mall in San Jose, CA is pretty happening. My friends go there a lot and I'll show up sometimes to hang out. I've met a lot of people there as well.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
No, and that really sucks. I was just telling my wife last weekend how much I miss the Aladdin's Castle arcades in the malls. We have one bar/arcade that has a few cabs, but its a bar and I can't take my 7 year old there.

Silvergun7

n00b
Maybe they'll put out an arcade version of SFV when it's actually complete :lolz:

I have yet to go to a D&B but I really wanna go just to check out those Mario Kart cabs

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
None around me. Dave and Busters & Chuckie Cheese are the only options I know of.

Ann Arbor has Pinball Pete's which is like 1 1/2 to 2 hours away:(

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
There are a couple in portland that I feel kind of eh about. Wish someone would open one up on the west side...

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
No arcades around here sadly enough in the early 2000's they all closed up.Now there is a chuck'e'cheese but that doesn't count as a arcade to me.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I know of none in my area other than one spot sort of south in a semi-sketchy area, my understanding around 10-20 pinball machines, but not so much arcade. So for here, it's once a year, the Louisville Arcade Expo on the first weekend of the month of March. I pay for a days admission and play the crap out of quite a few arcade and pinball machines (more the pinball) since I can dick with handheld and console games whenever. We have no D&B or anything of the sort in any form of a reasonable distance from here. Closest is over an hour away up by the Ohio/KY border. Some years ago there was Gillian's which had a lot of fun stuff but it went under.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Only D&B...................that's it :(

I went in a D&B last week when i was in Panama to drink a few beers and maybe play a few games. Nothing but shitty racing games and light gun games i tried to enjoy it but was ready to leave. There was this other place by our condo that looked like an old skool arcade but it had pretty much the same shit as D&B. Guess it makes money so that all that counts. Jason / Dream TR member on here has the most amazing arcades i have ever seen. Wish i still lived near Nashville, TN any of you guys going that way you should pm him and get the addy for his arcades.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There are only two types of arcades around here: barcades and the places you exchange tickets for cheesy plastic shit. The barcades usually focus on retro games and the others are obviously more for kids.

So no, not really.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Only D&B...................that's it :(

Really this is the one type, but you can't even consider the types of games they have to be worthwhile to visit for. If you want to have a party with some kids or normal people then fine. I personally will not play a rail shooter and am too big for sit-down racing games. Those are the big ticket things normal arcades have. The one near me also has an emulated mame type cab you can play pac-man or Centipede.

The local pool hall is the best around but they also have the same shit games that Dave & Busters has. The exception is they have a ton of pinball tables. So pinball yes, arcade games, no.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I know of none in my area other than one spot sort of south in a semi-sketchy area, my understanding around 10-20 pinball machines, but not so much arcade. So for here, it's once a year, the Louisville Arcade Expo on the first weekend of the month of March. I pay for a days admission and play the crap out of quite a few arcade and pinball machines (more the pinball) since I can dick with handheld and console games whenever. We have no D&B or anything of the sort in any form of a reasonable distance from here. Closest is over an hour away up by the Ohio/KY border. Some years ago there was Gillian's which had a lot of fun stuff but it went under.

I hear from a friend on XBL that there was a good arcade in Cincinnati. Supposedly when the owner returns there are tourneys. You know anything of it or did it close down?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The whole barcade thing is pretty popular in Chicago, there's no shortage of them. The chain places have mostly dried up, last time I was at ESPN Zone (now gone) for a work event, half the shit didn't work or had a color out on the monitor.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i wish. i was in the arcade at least once a week when trocadero was around in london. even invited kernow to come along. but the arcade days of the uk are over.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Couple of middling barcades downtown. Closest serious bidness arcade is Lost Ark in Greensboro. Anyone within shouting distance should go.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
i wish. i was in the arcade at least once a week when trocadero was around in london. even invited kernow to come along. but the arcade days of the uk are over.
Troc is famous, I've heard of it and I'm not even British. At least it's immortalized in this music video that was filmed there:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
We have a barcade here in Sacramento. It's very well-stocked with both arcade cabs and pinball machines. I would imagine that they would probably want to buy a new Street Fighter cab if it came out, but I dunno.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
SFV probably wouldn't exists if it wasn't for Sony, but when it got announced, and we were told there would be no arcade version i was concerned. Right now the game is struggling because of the way in which it was released, but competitively the game is doing well. It has over 4k entrants at this years EVO, and most major tournaments through the year have seen record breaking numbers. Not having an arcade release i think really cripples the market. Not so much here, but in Japan i think thats huge. One of the reasons why the Japanese excel at fighting games is because the arcade environment. No amount of online play, or local play with friends will amount to the skill that can be learned in the arcade.

But as for your question, its hit or miss here in AZ. When SFIV first came out, or local game works was the only place that had it. So people (including myself) would spend hours there each day. Then once console came out, people would still show up. The main reason why people stopped going there is because game works is a POS. The buttons were always fucked up, and if you complained about it, rather than opening the candy cab, and re connecting the quick disconnects, they would say " either continue playing with broken stuff, or we have to shut the machine down for the rest of the night"

Also, since game works is one of those sports bars/arcades, they wouldn't allow people under 21 upstairs after 10 PM. SFIV, and all the other fighters were upstairs, so tons of people would get kicked out, even though you could be upstairs in the restaurant where they actually sold alcohol, but not on the other side of the room where the games were. I would actually hide behind arcade cabs when employees would come by and check IDs.

We also had a group of people who would go to a D&B out here because they had a Tekken 7 cab. But it was only there for testing, so once it got removed, people stopped going. We do have some barcades out here, that get some attention. I have yet to go to any of them yet though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I hear from a friend on XBL that there was a good arcade in Cincinnati. Supposedly when the owner returns there are tourneys. You know anything of it or did it close down?

I think the owner is/was a member here. I remember selling him Strider and a couple other PCBs and seeing some pics. of them on location.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
yeah, that whole area was full of arcades late as eight to ten years ago. made a lot of friends there who i would see on a weekly basis. and we still managed to keep the spirit of the arcades alive by having the capcom vs snk argument between players. which company is better? lol. trocadero played a big part in my love for 2d fighters. it was one of the only ways to play snk' new releases, because the dreamcast wasn't released yet, and anything past kof 97 wasn't released on consoles in pal region.i still remember going there to play all the newly released sf alpha and kof games when trocadero was sega world . too bad they shut it down. now it's turning into a hotel..... with no arcades lol.