So now, years later, can we all agree KOF98 was the best one?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
yeah, 98 is great.

I'll always like 96 best though...

this thread was unnecessary.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
All personal & subjective bullshit aside: yes, Dream Match delivers the most. Sports team is spot on, too, so maybe she meant '94? Well, while that still would suggest a strong lack of humor... ;).

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I'm sorry but, anyone who puts 2K2 above 98 has to have a great mental disorder. ;)

98 was true SNK in one of their finest moments. Anything Playmore did is mostly average at best.
2K2 UM on the other hand, is quite spectacular.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
yeah, 98 is great.

I'll always like 96 best though...

this thread was unnecessary.

We are talking about a old ass system that been out for decades, nothing is unnecessary as long as we can talk and remember when this platform was at its peak. lol

98 was true SNK in one of their finest moments. Anything Playmore did is mostly average at best.
While I agree 98 is better than 02, 02 isnt that far behind 98. 02 couldve been so much better but it always felt incomplete.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so people do read my posts :keke:

no, you're both right of course... but I feel like the topic on hand has been discussed to death - and I've only been here for a short time.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Anything Playmore did is mostly average at best.

Forgot to comment. KOF '02, KOF XI, KOF XIII, KOF '98UM, KOF '02UM, and Metal Slug Defense are all considered good games, not average. There are more that I believe are good as well, but just focusing on the ones the majority agrees with. SNK did not make many duds at all and, yes, Playmore has made some, but that doesn't mean Playmore is a company that makes majority average or crappy games. If that were the case why the fuck is Capcom so highly reguarded?

Sorry, but comments like this are getting old. We get it you hate Playmore move along. I'd rather hear about the TG shit any day then this crap all day.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
I agree that 98 is amazing but it's weird how a lot of the other entries get dismissed or outright hated on...I see a lot of ppl talking down on '99 but I kinda loved that one. Kof XI was pretty awesome too.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I agree that 98 is amazing but it's weird how a lot of the other entries get dismissed or outright hated on...I see a lot of ppl talking down on '99 but I kinda loved that one. Kof XI was pretty awesome too.

I liked KOF Evolution on the DC. I actually prefer that to the original.

98 is nice. It's no 95, but its great when people come over because of its accessibility.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Forgot to comment. KOF '02, KOF XI, KOF XIII, KOF '98UM, KOF '02UM, and Metal Slug Defense are all considered good games, not average. There are more that I believe are good as well, but just focusing on the ones the majority agrees with. SNK did not make many duds at all and, yes, Playmore has made some, but that doesn't mean Playmore is a company that makes majority average or crappy games. If that were the case why the fuck is Capcom so highly reguarded?

Sorry, but comments like this are getting old. We get it you hate Playmore move along. I'd rather hear about the TG shit any day then this crap all day.

KOF XI was OK. You simply just don't get back to that game.
KOF XIII was OK. You won't touch it again after KOF XIV.
KOF98 Failed miserably to be the "ultimate" KOF98. They just had to put the boss team and Eiji in there and leave the game as it was. The bugs are part of 98's charm.
And KOF2002 UM is what KOF2002 should have been from the very beginning.

As for post-SNK Metal Slugs, 5 is cool and 6 brought Ralf and Clark. That's about it.

Thankfuly I couldn't care less for Playmore. And no. I don't hate them. They're just not good enough to carry the legacy.Metal Slug 4 and KOF2001 prove that. Period.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy

Kof 99 has a special place in my heart, its the year that i was able to get my brother and good friend to pick up the series. Its got some good music and was pretty fun for them to get into. Introduced New hero team with K' and maxima. Not to mention my main nigga Krizalid is in there. I know hes not the best or coolest boss, but I think hes sick. The back roll blows balls in that game though. And the striker system just wasnt that great, they got it perfect in kof '00. I do remember using RYO as striker though, pretty good striker for iori and clark.
If i had the right ppl here, id have a weekly kof gathering and play a different year each meet.... but im all alone here

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
KOF99 was an amazing entry. But it was destroyed by 2K.
It still holds one of the best soundtracks in the series.

Too bad the backgrounds and soundtrack on 2001 were awful. That game had a lot of potential with its Ratio battle striker system. The gameplay is pretty good tho. And it packs the deadliest Heidern ever :buttrock:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member

I bought KOF 99 at launch as a new kit, at the time I thought it was epic and I still don't get the hate.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I bought KOF 99 at launch as a new kit, at the time I thought it was epic and I still don't get the hate.

I see no hate. Just that it was hard to keep up with 98 expectations.
Remember that it introduced the striker system. It wasn't well accepted by everyone ;)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
KOF00 certainly felt like KOF in the year 2000. that's all i can say about that

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
you won't be alone for long aj. eg should be back soon. and i really want to join you guys but work and other things stop me from hanging around for too long. it might take a while, but i'm definitely planning on going full blast on fightcade and hooking up with you guys on skype. i hope you're still here by then and still into fightcade. hopefully we'll have more people than you me and electricgrave lol.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
KOF99 was an amazing entry. But it was destroyed by 2K.
It still holds one of the best soundtracks in the series.

Too bad the backgrounds and soundtrack on 2001 were awful. That game had a lot of potential with its Ratio battle striker system. The gameplay is pretty good tho. And it packs the deadliest Heidern ever :buttrock:

Yeah, everything kof99 does, 00 does better.
As for 01, i never got to play it against alot of ppl but it was fun, ive seen videos and the lock down with 3 strikers is frkn real. Mai, Ralph,whip strikers on the screen you can do shit. Plus the infinite you can do off striker mais fan with benimaru is just sick. Im sad they scraped the striker system before they tried to make one similar to the mvc2 concept of strikers is one of your playable character. That couldve been epic.

I think biggest negatives of the game is comeback factor due to red health dm/sdm's, poor striker system(combo wise), the pause when calling striker kills the momentum and they Kyo clone dumbness

you won't be alone for long aj. eg should be back soon. and i really want to join you guys but work and other things stop me from hanging around for too long. it might take a while, but i'm definitely planning on going full blast on fightcade and hooking up with you guys on skype. i hope you're still here by then and still into fightcade. hopefully we'll have more people than you me and electricgrave lol.
For sure dude, im down, ill still be into fightcade, i havent even bought a ps4 yet since im not that much into sfv, but ill be picking one up once prices go down since i want to play the new tekken and kof. So I will def be around man.
When i said im alone i meant in the city lol, no neo geo heads/players really

Last edited:

Metlcub

n00b
Yes 98 is great, I like 95 a lot though. Im guess is because it's got more sentimental meaning for me. Was my First MVS cart back then, and it's also the year I graduated High school.

city41

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Objectively 98 is the best and it's the one I'd grab if I had a local competitive KOF scene.

But I never play it. I always grab 94, 95 or 97 if I want some KOF action.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I can agree that kof 98 is one of the best kof entry in the series but its only my 2nd favorite. My favorite has to be kof 94 since i have the most nostalgic memories playing it at the swap meet back in the day. Kof 2002 comes in 3rd for me cuz that game is badass!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
KOF98 Failed miserably to be the "ultimate" KOF98. They just had to put the boss team and Eiji in there and leave the game as it was. The bugs are part of 98's charm.

As for post-SNK Metal Slugs, 5 is cool and 6 brought Ralf and Clark. That's about it.

Thankfuly I couldn't care less for Playmore. And no. I don't hate them. They're just not good enough to carry the legacy.Metal Slug 4 and KOF2001 prove that. Period.

The games I mentioned are popular. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they aren't good. You can also add Samurai Shodown V Special in the mix as well. Personally I'm not a huge fan of KOF '02. I played a ton of it because friends wanted to play it, or online players wanted to, but to this day I still don't see why it's so popular. That being said I acknowledge that it's a good game because the masses like it.

Also Metal Slug 4 and KOF '01 weren't directly made by Playmore. They were outsourced to other companies while Playmore was rebuilding. Meaning those are poor examples of reasons why Playmore sucks. You might not like the direction Playmore took, but Playmore was SNK, or what was left of it. Just like now Lemay owned SNK is SNK. Maybe we'll all regret what they will do in the future, but it doesn't make them any less SNK. Same as I'm not a big fan with the direction Capcom has gone since post SFIV, but I'm not saying they're not Capcom.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I enjoyed XI, game was fun, the return of Eiji, my favorite ninja, that double kick. If I was to get atomiswave it would be for XI and rumble fish 2.

This is pretty true, XIII was a great game, but the netcode was the worst. If they had fixed that ppl would def still be playing it. Steam version is probably better, idk

98 imo was the ultimate kof at the time, and years later after 5 more kofs were released most ppl still think its the best. Ultimate due to cast and 2 modes.

Everyone will agree with that, but i dont think the MVS could handle a game similar to 02UM.
Just a personal problem with 02UM is watching some of the matches, everyone picking geese and other character and having fireball matches. Gets boring.

Speaking of the the atomiswave, what was the general opinion of KOF NeoWave? I had a pal version for ps2 for awhile, never really played it against human opponents so i never go a feel for it