AES with screwed up sound.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Hi there!

A friend of mine came to my place yesterday with his AES saying it had cracking sounds.

I thought it could be capacitor issues, but they're all great and shinny.

Turns out that PSG sounds are OK. You can listen perfectly the intro and credits/misc little sounds.

When it comes to PCM sampling and stuff, all you hear are very loud corrupt sounds.
It seems that something is not communicating well, but there are absolutely no broken traces on the audio circuit.

I've found 6 cut traces in the RGB area ( 3 in, 3 out ) which I just patched now and it's now ok.

I'm really not in the mood to desolder the YM2610 and swap it, but it may be the only solution. Any other ideas to rule this out? I'd like to gave his AES back with a crisp sound.

PS: I had to turn down the volume at first, it was unbearable. But the boot sound is crystal clear.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you check continuity from the cart slot to the YM2610? If it's 100% make sure the slot has been cleaned, it's way too common of a fix now days.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Did you check continuity from the cart slot to the YM2610? If it's 100% make sure the slot has been cleaned, it's way too common of a fix now days.

Yeah, did both.

I really don't want to go by the desoldering gun route. Seems that I have no choice :/