CROSSED SWORDS 2 MVS high scores?

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Hey guys, hoping you can help me troubleshoot.

I recently had a coin battery installed on my mv-2f. (original board battery was losing its charge and starting to leak, it had a good run though.)

calendar/clock now working great; high scores are saving perfectly for all games except CS2. I have unibios 3.0 installed, with blazing star in slot 1, and Crossed Swords 2 in slot 2.

Here is where things get weird: Blazing Star high scores save normally and reappear after powering down; but with CS2, they will save for only a couple of hours, and then wipe. For example, I played CS2 a bit last night and put up some high scores. Then powered down for about 2 hours, ate dinner, then turned the cab back on. cool, CS2 scores are still there...continued playing...put up some more scores, then powered down for the night. I checked the scores on the cab this morning, and they are gone now, wtf.

fyi, I have reset backup RAM multiple times, and also reformatted my memory card last night for the hell of it.

Thanks guys, can anyone else running CS2 in a 2-slot confirm high scores are saving normally?

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Many NeoGeo games reset the high score tables on a daily basis. I will need to check crossed swords 2 but it is very possible this is what is happening. Other games reset scores on a monthly basis. Are your softdip settings still remembered?

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Many NeoGeo games reset the high score tables on a daily basis. I will need to check crossed swords 2 but it is very possible this is what is happening. Other games reset scores on a monthly basis. Are your softdip settings still remembered?

oh interesting, I was not considering a daily reset... my CS2 softdips are set to default, so I'll change them up and report back... thanks man.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
I know Art of fighting series "today's ranking" that resets on power down. Are there other examples?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
magician load resets daily windjammers resets monthly.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
magician load resets daily windjammers resets monthly.

I put up a new high score tonight and then ticked the calendar forward 1 day...and the score wiped. So that was it. Thanks Raz.

So, if I updated my unibios, would the memory card high score save function allow me to circumvent the cart's 24hr wipe behavior?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, I believe so.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza

Very interesting, had no idea this was incorporated.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
When using unibios save on memory card function can you copy/delete each game hiscore?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
When using unibios save on memory card function can you copy/delete each game hiscore?

Yes you can.

I have looked into the daily highscore wipe situation a little more now and it appears all the ADK games do it and some other games have 2 tables, one that wipes and one that does not. This does bring a issue with the ADK games on MVS hardware only under a set situation. The scores on the memory card will be wiped if you start and end a game without letting attract mode cycle once after the scores are deleted on a date change. On the 2nd cycle the scores will be pulled from the card ok.

This means that until I fix this one should make sure memory card saved highscores for ADK games are showing in the highscore table before starting a game.

Last edited:

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Yes you can.

I have looked into the daily highscore wipe situation a little more now and it appears all the ADK games do it and some other games have 2 tables, one that wipes and one that does not. This does bring a issue with the ADK games on MVS hardware only under a set situation. The scores on the memory card will be wiped if you start and end a game without letting attract mode cycle once after the scores are deleted on a date change. On the 2nd cycle the scores will be pulled from the card ok.

This means that until I fix this one should make sure memory card saved highscores for ADK games are showing in the highscore table before starting a game.

nice, thanks for looking into that. btw, have you ever done any testing with Knight's Chance? I seem to remember that cart wiping scores pretty frequently too...

p.s. regarding Knight's Chance, I had a wishlist item for a future unibios release if it would be at all possible...

for whatever reason when that cart is in a multi-slot, once the board cycles to Knights Chance it will never cycle off to another cart. It will just endlessly loop the KC attract mode...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
noted but I dont think that cycle issue is easily fixable at the bios level.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
How about games that don't use memory card: can you still save their hiscore on the memory card? Silly question: for games that periodically wipe scores, do they also wipe softdips? Also i remember in PS2 SNK AC vol.1 that ADK games save hiscore permanently, AOF wipes today's ranking and Samurai Shodown wipes round clear time.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, no, no idea about ps2 ports. Not sure about sansho, Are you talking about all versions or one version in particuler?

Last edited:

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Still a question: for games that periodically wipe scores, does the countdown start when you get a hiscore?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The date on the calander. If you set a score a 5minutes to midnight it will be deleted the next time the game cycles attract mode after midnight.