Axl Rose confirmed as AC/DC frontman

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I guess we can put the rumours to bed.

It's now official. Not sure how I feel about this...

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-17/acdc-announces-guns-n'-roses'-axl-rose-as-new-singer/7333008

Australian hard rockers AC/DC have announced Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose as their new singer, after news that Brian Johnson is unable to tour because he is suffering from hearing loss.

AC/DC confirmed the move hours before Rose was to take the stage with Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash at the Coachella festival in California as part of a long-awaited Guns N' Roses reunion.

AC/DC, who broke off a North American tour last month saying Johnson was at risk of permanent hearing loss, said Rose would make his debut with the band on a 12-show European leg starting on May 7 in Lisbon.

Rose known for his soaring range and raw emotion will then return to North America for the arena tour of the reformed Guns N' Roses, with the 10 postponed AC/DC dates in the United States to be rescheduled later.

"AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years," the band said in a statement.

"We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures. As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian's decision to stop touring and save his hearing."

Johnson has been quiet in public and has reportedly voiced dismay at his swift exit.

US comedian and radio host Jim Breuer said he spoke to Johnson, who felt "kicked to the kerb" by his band-mates and did not believe his hearing problems were as serious as announced by the group.

Johnson, 68, known for his punishing vocal style, is not an original member of AC/DC.

The Englishman joined in 1980 after the death of original singer Bon Scott, and made his debut on the Back In Black album, which has sold more than 50 million copies.

Rose's entrance into AC/DC was first reported by radio station WNNX in Atlanta after the singer was spotted with the band in the city.

PHOTO Brian Johnson (left) and Angus Young of AC/DC

AFP
The loss of Johnson is the latest major change for AC/DC. Malcolm Young, the rhythm guitarist and brother of co-founder Angus, retired before the Rock or Bust tour as he suffers dementia.

Drummer Phil Rudd was pushed out after he was arrested on charges of ordering a murder in New Zealand, where he lives.

Guns N' Roses became global sensations with 1987's Appetite For Destruction, which remains the best-selling debut album ever.

But friction was rarely far from the surface and the original line-up called it quits after closing a tour in 1993 in Buenos Aires.

A reunion had long been thought impossible, with Rose a few years ago calling Slash "a cancer." But the band had long enjoyed offers reported to be in the millions of dollars to reunite.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
WTF is happening here?!?!? Here is hoping AC/DC does not get ruined by Axl and his whining.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
On the one hand this is sad news indeed, but on the other I really want to see this show!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
''
The loss of Johnson is the latest major change for AC/DC. Malcolm Young, the rhythm guitarist and brother of co-founder Angus, retired before the Rock or Bust tour as he suffers dementia.

''

the guy with the shorts right.? angus? when did he stop? whats megadeth doing?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They should have just quit when Malcolm couldn't perform anymore. They're not AC/DC without both of the Youngs.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Wow, all this shit happening. So much shit I didn't know...

AXL might look like a tool lately but that album Chinese Democracy, I actually liked it...a lot.

Last AC/DC albums...not so hot, I mean, they are good AC/DC albums and if you spin them you won't be upset, or disappointed but you won't be getting any thrills.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
the guy with the shorts right.? angus? when did he stop?

That's Angus, the lead guitarist. His brother Malcolm had to quit...not Angus.

Jon

PS: Watch me get a PM from him now.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm going to see GNR on JUL 31. Super stoked.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
They should have just quit when Malcolm couldn't perform anymore. They're not AC/DC without both of the Youngs.

That's what I thought, but I saw them last summer and they killed it. Now with Brian gone, there's just no point. I'm glad I got to see the full line up w/Phil Rudd a few times, but the last time was just as good. It's unfortunate, but life moves on.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Guns & Roses had their Coachella reunion last night and apparently Angus joined them at some point:

It is rough watching your heroes get old. Axl, man.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Guns & Roses had their Coachella reunion last night and apparently Angus joined them at some point:

It is rough watching your heroes get old. Axl, man.

Yeah, or when they pass away. I really want to go to Oregon once and meat with Ursula Le Guin before she passes away.

OTOH: Clapton is old as fuck but he's still looking good.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
You know, after watching that Coachella clip, Axl looks like he's lost quite a bit of weight (and thank goodness he got rid of that ridiculous facial hair) and sounded great; he hit all the notes, his voice was consistent, he had that high pitched growl he's known for without his voice cracking. Perhaps this is a return to form, minus that old school GnR tantrum shit he used to pull I hope.