Worst NES game you ever played?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I forgot to mention the Action 52 cart. 52 turds packed into one cart. Shit flies not included.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Rocket Ranger is the worst NES game I ever played. One of my best friends had this as a kid, and we tortured ourselves with it once in a while. Most of our games were good, so it was hard for us to accept that this was as shitty as it was. We kept thinking we were doing something wrong.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't get all the Deadly Towers hate.

Other than it's one big maze, it's pretty fun to play. Especially when you finally figure out where to go next.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I'm going to go with X-Men as well.

Honestly, it may not have been the actual worst game on the system that I had played, but because of the subject matter I had such high hopes for it. When I actually got my hands on it the disappointment was so bad that it felt like the worst game ever to me at least. It was just such a mockery of something that had so much potential.

Beyond that I think the next one I hated was that shitty Conan game. Much for the same reason as before. I never got past the first stage in that one. That was a weekend rental and I played and played.. and still couldn't get anywhere.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I don't get all the Deadly Towers hate.

Other than it's one big maze, it's pretty fun to play. Especially when you finally figure out where to go next.

I think that's why most people hate it, it's stupid easy to walk into a dungeon that is overpowered near the start of the game. A buddy of mine and I years ago sat down and figure most of the game out, we never could beat it and I asked him several years later if he ever did. He actually did after the internet hit and he was able to plot out all the dungeon layouts. Neat game for what it is.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Worst I've played? Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Worst I played extensively, multiple times? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
3x3 Eyes. Could never get past the first level

If you're referring to "8 Eyes" which was published by Taxan, it's because you're running it solo instead of co-op, the proper way it was designed to be played. I still maintain it was a terrific game for its time period. Talk about a clever riff on the Castlevania format & mechanics.

3x3 Eyes is a mega-successful late 1980s Japanese comic book & animation franchise.

Last edited:

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
I read through this whole thread expecting to see any of the following:

Gyromite
Gumshoe
Kung-Fu
Golf

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Gumshoe was a really neat idea controlling the character with the Zapper.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
There's always stuff like Taboo the Sixth Sense, that while not terrible at what it's trying to be, if I were a kid and got this for Christmas I'd be disappointed as hell.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
If you're referring to "8 Eyes" which was published by Taxan, it's because you're running it solo instead of co-op, the proper way it was designed to be played. I still maintain it was a terrific game for its time period. Talk about a clever riff on the Castlevania format & mechanics.

3x3 Eyes is a mega-successful late 1980s Japanese comic book & animation franchise.

That is what I meant. Never knew it was meant for co-op play.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
There's always stuff like Taboo the Sixth Sense, that while not terrible at what it's trying to be, if I were a kid and got this for Christmas I'd be disappointed as hell.

Lol, I had that as a kid.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

latest

When I was a kid my grandmother bought us all these religious comic books. Thanks grandma, this is way better than Batman or Spider-Man!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It was one of those simpson games. Might have been bartman.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner

Yeah, Taboo or Color a Dinosaur are the kinds of odd things that aren't actually games. Just "software" on the NES.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Golf is great. Just played through a round yesterday. If you like Mario golf this is where the swing system comes from and was perfected in NES Open.

I was thinking about awful games I had when I was a kid and two more came to mind. Silent Service and Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. I don't know if these games were just over my head as a kid or what, but I hated these damn games.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Paperboy,don't care what any one says still a awful port.
Robocop
X-Men
Top Gun,if i understood how to land the damn plane maybe i would have enjoyed the game.
Back To The Future

I was gonna mention rambo but i've seen some defend it most i remember using a cheat to complete it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Paperboy,don't care what any one says still a awful port.
Robocop
X-Men
Top Gun,if i understood how to land the damn plane maybe i would have enjoyed the game.
Back To The Future

I was gonna mention rambo but i've seen some defend it most i remember using a cheat to complete it.

I tried so damn hard at Top Gun...I really did. I can probably count on one hand how many times I successfully landed that damn plane.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I remember beating Superman NES and thinking how bad the game was but that's the only "new" game to play I had at the time, I guess the game isn't all that bad but Supes was nerfed to the max...

Top Gun and Donkey Kong Classics were my first 2 games I got to play at home other then SMB so...I got really good at cheating in Top Gun, landing was not the problem once you get the hang of it, the second stage is a nightmare for boats so I just fly high and kept beating all the stages with little warfare, then just land and land and beat the game. The game does suck, I remember the ads for Nichiman at the time, it was a famicom clone with Afterburner installed in it, the game looked so awesome back then and I really wanted to play afterburner in the cab and have it at home like Tom Hanks in Big, I think that's what started the want of having arcades at home for me...

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
After seeing a lot of the responses I can honestly say that I enjoy a lot of the games on the NES that other people think are shit.

My friend hates Castlevania II, but I fucking LOVE that game. I like Zelda II over the first game. Platoon was good once you figured out the jungle maze. Jaws and Friday the 13th were both enjoyable once you figured out what the fuck was going on, and Back to the Future was a game that I have a lot of fond memories of.

When we all die and these games are a distant memory, none of this will matter.