President Obama signed executive order curbing gun sales

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Actually, it was a question.

Maybe I'll be able to formulate one once I know the non-criminal purpose of one.

You're being a troll man...come on now. Asking "what purpose does that item have outside of crime?" is really a non, or ignorant question.

Comparing a NFA registered SBS to some $200 pawn shop pick up that someone cut the barrel off of is silly, and apples and oranges.

Registering NFA items is a lengthy process and a huge pain in the ass...these are not steps most criminals take.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Such is required to be NFA registered right? otherwise it is a crime correct?

Yes...a big time crime. But...Joe Criminal probably doesn't give a shit and you're only one hacksaw away from making any smooth bore, cheapo shotgun into an illegal short barrel shotgun.

I'm willing to say that plenty of hack-sawed grandpa john shotguns are used in crimes. A registered SBS? Not so much.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Which is why the are supposed to be registered, or treated as criminal contraband.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You're being a troll man...come on now. Asking "what purpose does that item have outside of crime?" is really a non, or ignorant question.

Comparing a NFA registered SBS to some $200 pawn shop pick up that someone cut the barrel off of is silly, and apples and oranges.

Registering NFA items is a lengthy process and a huge pain in the ass...these are not steps most criminals take.

Norton... well... is Norton...

... WE ALL know what to expect...

I have nothing against him... except for the fact that sometimes he quotes dumb shit from books and comics...

xROTx

PS. On Topic... as an outsider... i have no set views on 'murikan gun policy...

HOWEVER, I do have views on how a President and Politician should conduct themselves.... Obama is being an ass atm.... It's like me bulldozing my views on the forum... JUST BECAUSE...

EDIT: SURE I can sometimes be weird on decision making... but in all reality... MOST of it makes sense...

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I reckon Obama should try some reverse psychology.

If your an ex-felon, you (in most cases) can't own a gun right? - (Despite the fact that you've done your time etc).

Anyway, he should say, Ex-felons are now allowed to own guns.

Then everyone would freak out and demand that this crazy idea be reversed, then he can quickly sneak in a clause in some unrelated bill while they are not looking, that makes the owning of ammuition illegal.

POW checkmate !

There are so many guns over there, maybe the only solution is to arm everyone and just let it carry on like the wild west.

I think the idea where all black males in the US joined the NRA would be much more effective.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
If your an ex-felon, you (in most cases) can't own a gun right? - (Despite the fact that you've done your time etc). Anyway, he should say, Ex-felons are now allowed to own guns.

post #12 http://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/f...ck_Facts_Felon_in_Possession_of_a_Firearm.pdf
so uh yeah thats sort of being done.Hooray!

proper purpose of registered sbs, the short barrel gives nothing for an invader to grab on the end? real purpose a fun toy used and cared for by a responsible adult(the legal ones anyhow- nobodies registering an sbs that they're going to use to defend their drug den_ they wouldn't want 'the heat' checking them out as much as it would cause 'them' too)
my .22 looks like an mp5 if I was an ffl I could make it full auto
I can't afford it and don't have the time if I could but the only difference it would make is it'd cost more faster for me to go shoot...well unless you came in and I couldn't get to my shotty that is?

...rational people that want to kill folks wouldn't even want to use a gun anyhow, they're super loud and relatively hard to hide:loco:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The non-criminal purpose of a SBS is shooting high-speed skeet, waterfowl, birds, varmints, or stationary targets for shits and giggles.

Shorter barrels allow for faster tracking of skeet, birds, and other fast moving targets because the barrel is shorter.

There's a great episode of Lock 'n Load with R. Emery Lee that's all about shotguns and their history, and he challenges a female olympic skeet shooter, who beats him soundly because the barrel of her shotgun is about 5 inches shorter than his personal shotgun, allowing for faster tracking.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Barrel lengths less than 16" are legal in Canada.

They're not in Illinois (if you're talking about rifles)…nor are any Class III items. We can't even have silencers.

Well…I guess there is one loophole to get a SBR, but it is a horrible pain in the ass to do it.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Barrel lengths less than 16" are legal in Canada.

Please don't bring us into this. Maple syrup kills more people than guns here and we're OK with it. Guns are for faggots who can't hold a chainsaw anyway.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The non-criminal purpose of a SBS is shooting high-speed skeet, waterfowl, birds, varmints, or stationary targets for shits and giggles.

This is the first time I've ever witnessed the word 'varmints' being used other than by Yosemite Sam. I enjoyed it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They're not in Illinois (if you're talking about rifles)…nor are any Class III items. We can't even have silencers.

Well…I guess there is one loophole to get a SBR, but it is a horrible pain in the ass to do it.

IL, much like CA, is fucked.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Shorter barrels allow for faster tracking of skeet, birds, and other fast moving targets because the barrel is shorter.

There's a great episode of Lock 'n Load with R. Emery Lee that's all about shotguns and their history, and he challenges a female olympic skeet shooter, who beats him soundly because the barrel of her shotgun is about 5 inches shorter than his personal shotgun, allowing for faster tracking.

How short was the gun?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is the first time I've ever witnessed the word 'varmints' being used other than by Yosemite Sam. I enjoyed it.

In the hunting world, it's super common.

p_105201300_1.jpg

10274273.jpg

How short was the gun?

Well…either it has a 16" barrel…or its a SBR/SBS.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
shotguns need to have 2 more inches than the 16 for rifles...right?

overall length needs to be 26''+ too right? I mean before pita forms approvals and extra taxes.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
How short was the gun?

It's been like 3 months since I saw that episode, but I THINK it was like high 20s, and REL's was 32".

Not a SBS, but it illustrates the point of having a shorter barrel resulting in easier tracking due to a less exaggerated swing of the barrel.

Shorter barrels will also have slightly wider spreads when shooting with birdshot, which can result in better results when shooting flying waterfowl.

I've tried to shoot quail before. It's not easy. They're fast little fuckers.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Shorter barrels will also have slightly wider spreads when shooting with birdshot, which can result in better results when shooting flying waterfowl.

But as short as 18"?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-firearms-are-regulated-under-nfa

Now...to have one of these, any of these, you have to have it federally registered and titled to either you or your "trust". It must be inscribed with the trust number and a $200 tax stamp must be paid as well. A "trust" is a family. AKA; if I have a class III firearm and I die, it doesn't get turned over to the state, it stays in the family trust.

Figuring none of these items have been used in crimes or any of these shootings as of late...why would it be that Obama directly addressed a NFA trust? (We're talking about registered, often insanely expensive pre ban items here...)

Easy...if the trust falls apart for any legal reason, and the head of the trust dies, those firearms become property of the state. Once they are...there's no going back. Figuring that items like machineguns (pre 1986 manf) can no longer be made and sold to the public...this is a lovely way of eroding them to the point of nonexistence.

See...little sneaky shit like this goes right over the heads of nearly every American...because they have no clue of existing laws or how they work.

I've made it abundantly clear that I am pretty dead center on much of this...but I'm not stupid either. If you do not feel these politicians have an endgame agenda, you are drinking too much of the kool aid. Many of them are smart enough to know they can't just come out and ban things...but they will "regulate" things, and slowly ban features, or transfers, or whatever and in enough time, they will get their way. One tiny piece at a time. The proof is right there...our president proposing reform to an abstract program that had nothing to do with any of the issues as of late is proof enough. Politicians like him have long said that they despise the fact that things like NFA firearm items are legal.

Finally, when in the history of this nation have politicians proven they they are "one and done" with laws?

So...let's say they pass sweeping background check reforms. Where do they go next when the next mass shooting happens? (If there's one thing I'm sure of its that humans will always murder each other and there are too many guns on this planet to keep them from getting one to accomplish it.)

Easy...even more restrictions...this is never-ending...

SO let me get this straight, you seem to imply that if fully automatic weapons were widely available, they would not be used in mass shootings..

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
SO let me get this straight, you seem to imply that if fully automatic weapons were widely available, they would not be used in mass shootings..

pshaw. nothing of the sort. just said what mine would do differently, which is zilch. let me postulate for a sec though? if FA was more accessible to average dudes, it wouldn't impact their go on a murder spree stats...I suppose you'd get like one more loonie every year and a half or so because they thought they'd have that much more power(really they'd probably just waste more ammo? ).

they're already available to gangs and such as they can get illegal non pre 86 ones from the black market, as per above joke of why not let felons... they hand them out to cartels, do you think syndicates only distribute drugs?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

How did I imply that?

I was educating you on what a NFA trust is. I was then pointing out that Obama was directly addressing them, even though a NFA trust or class III firearm had zip to do with any of these shootings, as a matter of fact, they haven't had a thing to do with a single mass shooting since he has been president.

My overall point?

Mass shootings happen.
President wants new laws to attempt to prevent them.
In his executive actions is the tightening of a system completely unrelated to mass shootings...but something that falls into his anti gun agenda and his long and publicly stated dislike for NFA items.

In other words, the paranoid is founded. He used this recent event to address something that had nothing to do with it. Most people just didn't pick up on it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Now I see what you were saying regarding the executive order and the NFA trust. I thought that you were ranting at the NFA requirement at large.

I still don't know if the paranoid is founded by making the NFA trusts abide by the same standards as individuals.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Now I see what you were saying regarding the executive order and the NFA trust. I thought that you were ranting at the NFA requirement at large.

I still don't know if the paranoid is founded by making the NFA trusts abide by the same standards as individuals.

Yeah...NFA items are NFA items, I'm not bitching because the laws exist. I do wish I lived in a state that allowed them, I'd love a full auto Uzi, they are a blast to shoot.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
The big problem with Obama is that he doesn't take tough stances. It makes him look weak. W Bush I feel was way worse then Obama.