Places that are accepting chipped credit cards

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Can someone please tell me who thought the "went through" sound of chipped credit cards should sound like an alarm going off signifying a declined credit card? I mean I've talked to a few people and 2 loud BZZZ sounds does not sound like an accepted sound.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I've found it aggravating as well.

#firstworldproblemz

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I haven't come across this yet. Mostly the card works the same as the old one. Only 1 store I stopped going to because you have to do an extra thing to use it. Instead of just swiping and choose credit like usual, then you have to put the card in a slot and it makes a click before it works. I stopped going to that store.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I haven't come across this yet. Mostly the card works the same as the old one. Only 1 store I stopped going to because you have to do an extra thing to use it. Instead of just swiping and choose credit like usual, then you have to put the card in a slot and it makes a click before it works. I stopped going to that store.

That sounded petty to me until I remembered I don't shop at gas stations that only list the price of regular gas or have different prices for cash vs credit or have a fucking stupid name (Wawa). It's the little things...

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Ever since they gave me the new chipped card, I can't simply swipe my card at an ATM anymore(have to insert it and leave it in until the transaction is finished). It takes more then double the time to do an ATM transaction now. As far as swiping it other places goes.... it's still been the same old "swipe" everywhere(except Target). At Target you also have to leave it in the reader & it makes a weird beep sound. That and it also takes longer to process.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
All the stores pretty much adopted this new system in my area. I'm guessing it's to help combat the kiddies running around everywhere copying mag strips. It was way out of control, they would take throw cards like prepaid visas and just preload real visa info on the cards and go nuts all over town. Just get your buddy working at the mall, restaurant etc to collect numbers for you, sit on them for a few months to make it harder to detect where they got stolen from, and then free Hot N Ready for everyone...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Get used to it, all US stores are going to have to accept the chip starting sometime next year (I've heard April and October, so I'm not sure when).

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
That sounded petty to me until I remembered I don't shop at gas stations that only list the price of regular gas or have different prices for cash vs credit or have a fucking stupid name (Wawa). It's the little things...

Wawa is awesome.

Its name comes from the town where it began as a dairy, Wawa, Pennsylvania.

more-you-know.jpg

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Get used to it, all US stores are going to have to accept the chip starting sometime next year (I've heard April and October, so I'm not sure when).

I thought it was October two months ago.
If fraud happens after that Visa/Mastercard no longer have to cover it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It is annoying, truth be told.

You have to insert the card, wait on it to read (which actually takes a bit), remove it, then swipe it. I've only been to two places that had them...but both were like this for some reason. Seems like a goofy step backwards for me...

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
It is annoying, truth be told.

You have to insert the card, wait on it to read (which actually takes a bit), remove it, then swipe it. I've only been to two places that had them...but both were like this for some reason. Seems like a goofy step backwards for me...

You dont swipe at all now.... You're doing it wrong :-)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You dont swipe at all now.... You're doing it wrong :-)

The few times I've had to do it...they request both. I remember the very first time I had to use one, I had it read the card. It told me to remove it, which I did. I just stood there for a second then the girl had me swipe it...it made no sense. This was at a local Target...

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
The few times I've had to do it...they request both. I remember the very first time I had to use one, I had it read the card. It told me to remove it, which I did. I just stood there for a second then the girl had me swipe it...it made no sense. This was at a local Target...

Odd. I've used mine a few times at local Targets and never had to swipe after it read the chip. No swipe after chip read at Best Buy or any other place I've had to have it chip read.

But yeah, I do find it more annoying as it takes longer to read than to swipe. And at Macys the chip reader was being picky as fuck and it took at least 10x longer to read the chip than a swipe as it wasn't liking the card just being inserted. I had to keep it pressed up into the reader and w/no added angle to it. Luckily I've only run into that problem at Macys and no where else. But they were using cheap ass off-brand card readers.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Wawa is awesome.

View attachment 31065

Maybe it's different there but the ones here only list the price for regular gas on the sign. This is useless to me since both my cars take premium and prices vary wildly. For example, you might have 2 stations with regular at $2 but one place will have premium at $2.30, the other $2.80.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
wawa is incredible. no one should ever speak ill of them.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
All the stores are forcing it because we face fines for card present breaches if emv isn't implemented. My job is sys admin with a focus on pci compliance keeping users cards secure so this has been a huge ordeal over the last half year.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
All the stores are forcing it because we face fines for card present breaches if emv isn't implemented. My job is sys admin with a focus on pci compliance keeping users cards secure so this has been a huge ordeal over the last half year.

its funny it is for security because even if you have to run the chip, smaller purchases dont require a signature. i could be anybody with my card buying milk at the grocery store.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
its funny it is for security because even if you have to run the chip, smaller purchases dont require a signature. i could be anybody with my card buying milk at the grocery store.

Yeh that's kind of store specific though, like I could turn on signature verification with emv but then people would complain. The idea is to stop the duplicate cards being sold more so than using a stolen card, you could fake a signature too.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Oh I remember the reason why I won't use my card at that one store. It isn't because the transaction takes longer or I have to add more insertion marks to my card. Its that the machine runs the card as debit even if you choose credit. So their system basically forces you to use the personal info on the chip to make the purchase. Rather than if you run the card as credit, then it goes through the credit card company. If the store were to be hacked, then the credit card portion of the card being compromised isn't a big deal. What is on that chip that is read by the machine?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Wawa is awesome.

View attachment 31065

Yeah it's the next town over from me, Wawa is awesome.
Wawa the name is the Lenni Lenape (Indian Tribe around the Delaware River) word for Canadian Goose, That is why they have Canadian Geese in their logo.

Here is the old logo but the sun was yellow orange
image.jpeg

Last edited: