So how do you guys feel about teachers pushing their own gender agendas on children?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Of course, she could have bought some of those girl-themed legos, but then she isn't being gender-inclusive. This political-correctness bent that society is on right now is really over the line.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Am I missing something?

The teacher kept the boys from hogging the legos. What's the big deal?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My niece just asked me for a Roku for Christmas. She ain't worried about any gender equality nonsense. First grader by the way.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I agree, more legos.

As for the topic question: Problem is, almost everyone is going to push their gender agenda on children. Boys and girls are often treated differently, and rewarded differently. The woman that takes 2 hours to get dressed annoying? Blame her parents and teachers for praising her more for how she dressed and looked, rather than praising her for what she did, or what cool thing she found in her pocket.

The most disturbing thing I ever saw was a parent of two kids, boy and girl. They ran up some stairs and fell into a heap. The father first went to the girl, and consoled her as she began to cry. The boy started crying and the father just turned to him and told him to "stop crying or he'd give him a reason to cry". WTF...

So in answer: It depends on if they are applying the correct agenda, which is to treat the boys and girls without regard to their gender.

(Hell I believe if a school imposes uniforms, they should be exactly the same for both girls and boys.)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yes. this stinks of Ebonics. Remember when people taught that in school?

there was a time when home-schooling was for the creepy families.... i dunno what i would do if I had kids now. Private school prolly.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I think its bullshit.
Teachers should follow a code of objectivity. Present all sides, let the children learn for themselves.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I teach a variety of grades here and divide the class into two teams when playing games - boys and girls

Also bought toy guns in a few times for the kids to play with

China, land of the free

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Whilst I think things like this are interesting social experiments, I don't think it's the role of the teacher to be carrying the experiments out off her own back.

That said, I can't imagine being that bothered if I found out my kids teacher had done this.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I agree, more legos.

As for the topic question: Problem is, almost everyone is going to push their gender agenda on children. Boys and girls are often treated differently, and rewarded differently. The woman that takes 2 hours to get dressed annoying? Blame her parents and teachers for praising her more for how she dressed and looked, rather than praising her for what she did, or what cool thing she found in her pocket.

The most disturbing thing I ever saw was a parent of two kids, boy and girl. They ran up some stairs and fell into a heap. The father first went to the girl, and consoled her as she began to cry. The boy started crying and the father just turned to him and told him to "stop crying or he'd give him a reason to cry". WTF...

So in answer: It depends on if they are applying the correct agenda, which is to treat the boys and girls without regard to their gender.

(Hell I believe if a school imposes uniforms, they should be exactly the same for both girls and boys.)
That's real life dude, we treat males and females differently. Should we? I guess that can be discussed.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I don't care. It's a clickbait article designed to piss people off. Move along...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Did you really read the article? This was some absurd

Yes I Did read the article. The only substantive part of it read:

Keller claimed that she instituted such action only for the first month of school and not over a significant period. She also insisted that every student in her class, either girls or boys, have the free will to choose whether they want to play with Lego blocks or not.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yes I Did read the article. The only substantive part of it read:

You really like to pick through stuff, don't you. How about this quote:

"I just feel like we are still so far behind in promoting gender equity," Keller said.

Happen to miss that part?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You really like to pick through stuff, don't you. How about this quote:

"I just feel like we are still so far behind in promoting gender equity," Keller said.

Happen to miss that part?

No, I caught it. I don't see a problem with keeping the boys from hogging Legos in order to give girls a chance to develop their spatial skills.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
No, I caught it. I don't see a problem with keeping the boys from hogging Legos in order to give girls a chance to develop their spatial skills.

I still think you're missing her entire point…but I'll humor you and go in your direction.

So...

Kid A wants something.

Kid B is hogging that something.

Do you actually think that removing Kid B from the equation to give A easy and free access is the right idea? How does this apply to life outside of a school/controlled environment? The fact is, its doesn't.

You council Kid A to learn to deal with B…and then let the chips fall on their own. Either Kid A will learn to deal with it…or go without. Such is life, this is how things work.

Sometimes I like you…sometimes I really think you have your head so far up into you colon…its a good thing you don't call the shots. In this case, your approach is the most unrealistic, absurd and damaging thing you can do to a young person. It in no way will set them up for how the world really works…which is aggressive people taking what they want unless you learn to deal with them.

Conditioning the young to be completely dependent on outside intervention to resolve even the most simplistic and basic of person-to-person problems is a horrible thing to do…and is setting them up for a lifetime of failure.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i wanna know how this became a news story i.e. how people knew boys weren't allowed to play with legos

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I still think you're missing her entire point…but I'll humor you and go in your direction.

So...

Kid A wants something.

Do you actually think that removing Kid B from the equation to give A easy and free access is the right idea? How does this apply to life outside of a school/controlled environment? The fact is, its doesn't.

You council Kid A to learn to deal with B…and then let the chips fall on their own. Either Kid A will learn to deal with it…or go without. Such is life, this is how things work.

Sometimes I like you…sometimes I really think you have your head so far up into you colon…its a good thing you don't call the shots. In this case, your approach is the most unrealistic, absurd and damaging thing you can do to a young person. It in no way will set them up for how the world really works…which is aggressive people taking what they want unless you learn to deal with them.

Conditioning the young to be completely dependent on outside intervention to resolve even the most simplistic and basic of person-to-person problems is a horrible thing to do…and is setting them up for a lifetime of failure.

Completely ridiculous.

I will go into more detail when I get back.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Sci-fi has it right. Co-ed locker rooms would be a great gender equalizer.

Spoiler:
starship-troopers-shower.gif

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
norton's brain is absolutely immune to any truth coming from something that could even remotely be construed as being conservative

it just won't register - it's like directive 4 in Robocop, his brain just seizes up

you people should really just stop trying

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
i wanna know how this became a news story i.e. how people knew boys weren't allowed to play with legos

The boys themselves probably had some objections and told their parents about it. Anyway, the Golden Raspberry Award for Ridiculousness goes to that woman. What comes next? Girls barred from playing with dolls, so that boy students could benefit and learn to promote the stereotype of a beautiful woman: tall, anorexic, busty, and blonde? Dollars to doughnuts...

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

So...

Kid A wants something.

Kid A just learns they are powerless, because:

They cannot punch Kid B, or use physical force.... that's against both school policy and society.
They cannot ask for help under your scenario.
Kid B has no reason to listen to Kid A. If outside intervention won't happen, guess what... he can hog all he wants, there's no consequence for doing so.

So, the choice they have is either break the rules, or go without. And honestly the only thing they really could do if Kid B. was stronger is to destroy the thing Kid B. is hogging.

I suppose that is a good lesson; but at the same time part of me thinks the world would be a better place if Kid B was curb stomped early since hogging is a horrible behavior.

Could just prioritize what kids could pick for free time based off class performance. The illusion of meritocracy is very useful for children.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
norton's brain is absolutely immune to any truth coming from something that could even remotely be construed as being conservative

it just won't register - it's like directive 4 in Robocop, his brain just seizes up

you people should really just stop trying

Hahahahaha, truth.

By the way, in case nobody noticed... males and females ARE different. So should they be treated differently? YES.

Is that wrong? NO.

Fight against it as much as you want, but men and women are built differently and think differently. There's a reason for that and you shouldn't try and fuck with it.