Pets: any advice?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I know some of you guys have pets, and I would like to know, how do you manage your classic games with them? specifically, cats. They leave hair everywhere, and seem to like the warm places to be on top (like electronic devices) and sometimes bite the cables. I have never had any pet, but my girlfriend has one cat and she would rather leave me than the cat so since the relationship is serious, I'd like to be prepared for the cat to coexist with my games.

Thanks for any tips.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Step 1: Open window, preferrably on 2nd floor or above.

2: give cat no choice but to step outside window.

3: close window

4: when gf asks where the cat is, shrug silently and walk away.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Hi

I know some of you guys have pets, and I would like to know, how do you manage your classic games with them? specifically, cats. They leave hair everywhere, and seem to like the warm places to be on top (like electronic devices) and sometimes bite the cables. I have never had any pet, but my girlfriend has one cat and she would rather leave me than the cat so since the relationship is serious, I'd like to be prepared for the cat to coexist with my games.

Thanks for any tips.

Give me games or give me death

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Step 1: Open window, preferrably on 2nd floor or above.

2: give cat no choice but to step outside window.

3: close window

4: when gf asks where the cat is, shrug silently and walk away.

oh no!
get some furniture? like shelves and an entertainment center.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Keep the game stuff in a room the cats can't get to and leave the door shut.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've had a cat for a very long time...never caused me any problems. Sure, there's cat hair...but that's no more troublesome than dust. Just have to clean your stuff. The only thing about cats is them chewing on wires...I do not leave controllers sitting out when not in use.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Keep the game stuff in a room the cats can't get to and leave the door shut.

pretty much this. my dogs are not allowed in my game room or home studio.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I got one cat that refuses to die, must be at least 18 now. She doesn't mess with too much anymore, but if I leave a controller on the floor it will seek it out to throw up a hair ball on it. If there are no controllers then it will just throw up on anything else. I wouldn't sweat it too much *most* cats don't chew on things like a puppy would. I also got a couple dogs but they are more prone to knocking things off the coffee table with their tails. So yeah, cat should be fine but if it gets crippling old like mine it won't be able to groom itself very well and will inevitably spit up hair balls a fair amount. Good luck.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Pets? lol I have human friends. sort of.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
My cat and dog ignore my cabs, consoles, cords and controllers. Like smokehouse mentioned when wiping off the dust, I'll wipe off a stray hair here and there.

I've never considered it an issue.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My cat and dog ignore my cabs, consoles, cords and controllers. Like smokehouse mentioned when wiping off the dust, I'll wipe off a stray hair here and there.

I've never considered it an issue.

Yup...no issues. My last cat wasn't even a nibbler...my current one is. They're all different but in the end, he doesn't wreck anything and my stuff is clean.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I never had any issues with my cat and my collection, other then the hair buildup, but that's not too big of a deal.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
When I had a cat years ago, she was totally chill and although liked sitting on the entertainment center, we still had those back then, she didn't really mess with anything. Save, for, maybe paw the screen if something was racing across it from time to time. Guess I was lucky. My dogs have never been a problem. It's easy enough to keep things up and out of sight. The only thing my dog has even touched that was gaming related were knocking over a few Amiibos with his tail when he was too excited. He freaked out of there and went running... He doesn't like messing with my stuff. Oh, and he'll nose the Wii U controller sometimes when it's on the charging cradle, simple cause... "Hey, what the hell is this thing, it's not supposed to be here..."

I've never really had an issue with the pets doing any sort of damage to stuff of any value. Chew up a cheap Target or Ikea rug, sure, but not really anything serious. And, as for the hair... Well... I vacuum. It's not that hard to run the vacuum every few days.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My cats are more interested in bugging me than messing with my hardware or cabling. If I'm on the computer one cat will sit on the keyboard, and if I'm doing anything else (using a controller, reading a book or comic, playing a handheld, etc) the other cat jumps into my lap and inserts her face in between me and whatever I'm doing.

My dog is so old right now that he doesn't really do a lot of anything. He's 20 years old and mostly he just sleeps, bumps into things, and begs for food. When he was young he liked to jump up next to me on the couch and sleep while I played, and he would often get tangled in controller cords and knock shit over. My Saturn probably hit the floor 50 times because of that dog, but it still works like a champ.

Last time my aunt stayed at my house one of her dogs peed on a stack of Wii games I had on the floor though. One of my shelves had recently broken and I didn't get around to dealing with it before she stayed over. The inserts are all nasty (only like 6-10 games, but it's still gross and annoying) and discolored.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
its called a game room for a reason. i keep my game room door closed for all reasons above. keeps dust to a minimum, keeps the dog out, and keeps the cat out. that being said, ive owned pets my entire life, and never had one of our cats chew up a piece of electronics. its always the dogs that do. but either way, keep your stuff that isnt in your game room tidy, and dont leave wires streaming all across the floor and then you likely will not have any issues.

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
I got my cat when she was a kitten, so I was able to teach her from the start to stay away from wires. She likes to chew on boxes, but I usually give her any shipping boxes I get, and keep them in a different room from my games. So far she hasn't destroyed anything.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I may only have 11 cats, but I've learned my lesson about where to put my "games". You need to get those wall shelves & put em high enough so the lil' precious darlings can't jump up to them.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
My cat is pretty much laid back. She's an outside cat half the time but she usually comes in to eat, play with me sometimes or just straight up sleep. She doesn't even bother my game stuff.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
cover your consoles. Those dust covers classic computers used to have.....use them.

I keep towels or vinyl covers over my rarely used electronics. They look shiny and new when i want to use them. No dusting necessary.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The cat takes higher priority it seems, very weird. I'm not into pet ownership, the best thing for me is a cactus. I nearly forget that thing exists, I have a feeling a pet of mine would starve and probably run off (to a better person).

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
We've had cats for decades. If you've got a cat, cat hair, hairballs/vomit, etc. are just things that you have to deal with. As far as gaming goes, other than putting dust covers on them to keep the hair off and out of the vents, the only problem I've had is that they sometimes gnaw on my cords, especially controllers and mice, if I leave them on the floor (probably because they associate them with string toys), but, provided they're picked up (which they should be anyway), the felines don't cause any other problems with my consoles.