KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Growing up I always wished American players picked up more on kof. Barely anyone at my school touched the game

I don't know how it was for you, but nearly ALL of my friends were Capcom fans and looked at SNK as the red headed step child. Whenever I would prove to them that SNK had, by and large, substantially better fighting games, they'd always fall back on the 'six button' argument. When I told them that SNK only needed four buttons to do it better, which ultimately meant the extra two buttons weren't necessary to make great fighters, they had nothing and just stopped talking about it.

That six button argument was all they had, but man did they cling to it like it was driftwood in the ocean.

Better fighting.

Cooler characters.

Superior aesthetics.

The end.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The major knock I always saw with KOF was accessibility. Very few of the games made it to the states when it really mattered (94-98). Not everybody imports or has a Neo Geo lying around. Hell at least Fatal Fury (1,2,Special) had ports early on. That coupled with the anime everybody seemed to see made Terry Bogard the character everybody plays in the U.S. on KOF. If SNK was more aggressive and ported '96, and '97 to the U.S. when the fighting game craze was at it's height it might have made a difference.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I don't know how it was for you, but nearly ALL of my friends were Capcom fans and looked at SNK as the red headed step child. Whenever I would prove to them that SNK had, by and large, substantially better fighting games, they'd always fall back on the 'six button' argument. When I told them that SNK only needed four buttons to do it better, which ultimately meant the extra two buttons weren't necessary to make great fighters, they had nothing and just stopped talking about it.

That six button argument was all they had, but man did they cling to it like it was driftwood in the ocean.

Better fighting.

Cooler characters.

Superior aesthetics.

The end.

there really was no convincing capcom fanboys of SNK being as good if not better. i eventually gave up, it was pointless to try. as soon as they would start losing in a KOF, it was "lets go play street fighter instead."

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
there really was no convincing capcom fanboys of SNK being as good if not better. i eventually gave up, it was pointless to try. as soon as they would start losing in a KOF, it was "lets go play street fighter instead."

Happened to me all the time too. I never saw any of them even try a SF character on CvS 2. It was always Ken, Ryu and Sagat or Guile.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Taiso- yeah I tried to tell ppl how much cooler snk charters were and how better character design was compared to cspcom. I loved both snk and Capcom , but let's face it sf had such a big impact on everyone. Most ppl complain about the graphics of the snk games then there's the 6 vs 4 button argument. Not to mention Button layout was different. When I did get ppl to play snk fighters they would have alot of fun.
Man cvs2 is a awsome game, but the snk characters got dicked. Especially benimaru, so disappointed with how he turned out

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ I'm not dead yet and that made me roll over in my grave. Fuck Mortal Kombat. Fuck dial a combo. If the fighting games were all like that I wouldn't touch them ever.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Barely anyone I knew played fighters growing up. Not even Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or Tekken let alone KOF or any other Neo fighters.

When I was in middle school it started getting bigger. Super Smash Bros Melee, SoulCalibur II, Dragon Ball Z Budokai, and Tekken Tag Tournament were the popular ones. Meanwhile I was trying to convince people to play VF4E or KOF 2002, with very little luck.

famicommander

15 Year Member
^ I'm not dead yet and that made me roll over in my grave. Fuck Mortal Kombat. Fuck dial a combo. If the fighting games were all like that I wouldn't touch them ever.

I hated MK 4-9 but not all dial-a-combo fighters are bad, and sometimes it's nice to have a little variety. I actually dig most Tekken games as well as MKX, Injustice, and the Dimps-DBZ games.

I agree that a KOF dial-a-combo game would be an abomination, though. Fuck that noise.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm not knocking their existence. However the thought everything needs to be that way makes my stomach churn. Worst part it I think some FG producers think that's the case. UMVC3 combos are stupidly simple, SFV dumbed their shit down some more, even though they weren't that bad in SFIV (though not saying the game is bad, but facts are facts). I want variety it's the spice of life.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I didn't like any version of MVC3, SFIV, or SFxT. The only original Capcom fighter I liked was Tatsunoko vs Capcom, which was developed by Eighting and not Capcom.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
New potential leak via MMCafe.

Basic summary is there will be a Chinese hero team that will serve as the new main team to the story (no big surprise their since the Ledo acquisition), and that the final boss can travel through time, which will be their explanation on how characters from other time periods will be appearing (i.e. Samurai Shodown).

http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10109.html

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Man, Billy looks really good in this game, hes so freakin fast. Kula looks good to. Feel like I wont be able to play chang the same way as in previous games. He looks slowwwwww

And if SNK catered to american audiences, KoF would have mortal kombat dial-a-kombo gameplay.

I said I wished american players picked up on Kof more, not snk cater to the americans. That would be fkn horrible!!! lol

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Some new screenshots from the official twitter account (no new content):

Cc7Cef1UMAAwUVm.jpg

CcnYpkGUAAAD30B.jpg

CcYo6ejUcAAV2QF.jpg

CcdQqZ9UcAAaeUd.jpg

CcIp-4pUcAAE093.jpg

Cb-IQhXXIAAqiHa.jpg

Cb4wLulUUAAIFt_.jpg

CbzuBmZUcAAOPYZ.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wish Kyo and Iori would go back to their classic outfits. I did like '99 Kyo as well though.