20 Years of PULSTAR

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Pulstar MVS released 8/28/95
Pulstar AES released 9/29/95

20 Years of Pulstar yo!

Talk about anything you want about Pulstar here in commemoration of the legendary shmup that everyone (still) wants.

My first memory of Pulstar is being so pissed off that I no longer had an AES to play it when it was released.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Pulstar is so difficult that it isn't even playable for me. I may have to dive back into it again. I just always went back to Blazing Star to get some sense of accomplishment

Elder

NEST Puppet
My goodness time flies. Still haven't picked up a copy for myself even after all these years. Such a classic game :)

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Coincidentally, it's also the Shmup of the Month this month. ;)

I've always liked the game, but it can be pretty unforgiving at times. So until recently I haven't really gone at it seriously, but now after putting some time into it. I have to say that it's easily one of my favorite shmups on the system. The graphics are nice, there is a lot of animation in the environment, and it gives the stages a bit of life. The difficulty, while pretty tough, is fair and absolutely reliant on your ability to memorize and act quickly. Also another good thing is at least it doesn't constantly yell out BONUS!, like it's sequel Blazing Star. :p

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Pulstar is so difficult that it isn't even playable for me. I may have to dive back into it again. I just always went back to Blazing Star to get some sense of accomplishment

Pulstar is definitely more hardcore. But those graphics tho...

pulstar-3.png

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Playing Pulstar is akin to having sex with whiskey dick. Yeah she looks good but one wrong move and you lose your boner powerup, destined never to finish.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Just started playing it this week! It’s good, probably my favorite neo shmup.
Everyone should play it and the post some scores in that thread Beelzebub linked.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
And everyone keeps telling me it's ass. Told you guys. Blazing Star has nothing on Pulstar.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
We should get a team together to celebrate. NeoGeo14 - to break into the high security Panda vault and steal all the 2143 pulstar kits he owns.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Still haven't found myself a copy of this :( It's my most wanted MVS cart.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I own it on neo cd and played it for over 10 years and i have still never compleated the game, i find the game frustratingly difficult, It's the reason it's not my favourite shooter on the system, this game demands that you learn the levels inside out. It's definately the best looking shooter on the neo but a bitch to master. I still love the game though and keep coming back to have my ass spanked, i'm resigned to the fact that i'll only ever see the ending by watching somebody's youtube video lol...

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
I have it for Neo Geo CD and it's absolute love and joy. Controls, graphics and music are well refined. Difficult to make you go crazy. You just have to keep practicing to find the perfect run.

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I still love the game though and keep coming back to have my ass spanked, i'm resigned to the fact that i'll only ever see the ending by watching somebody's youtube video lol...

That's how I felt about Ikaruga too. When I finally beat the game, it was like a religious experience. Don't give up!

That part all ways reminded me of stage 3 for salamander.

I think Pulstar took all the best parts of R-Type, Salamander, In The Hunt and added a gallon of Holy Fuck.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm not big on shooters, but this one: good.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
And everyone keeps telling me it's ass. Told you guys. Blazing Star has nothing on Pulstar.

Sorry Panda but Blazing Star OST blows Pulstar out of the water any day of the week! ;)

cat

That's how I felt about Ikaruga too. When I finally beat the game, it was like a religious experience.

If you can beat Ikaruga, you're on a whole different skill level to me, that game is insanely hard and way beyond my puny shooter skills...

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I remember getting Pulstar second hand on the AES around late 97 and later traded it to a chinatown game store employee/friend for Blazing Star when it came out. I think I've never went back to Pulstar, Maybe it was too hard for me back when. Ill definitely have to give it another go. Cant be as hard as Last Resort .... can it?

cat

Last resort is no slouch but pulstar is hands down a much more difficult game, at least for me...

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I would love an MVS copy because on the home versions i will never see the ending. I'm not that big into shooters but i love Blazing Star so much that it has found a permanent spot in my 4-slot.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Played it on Neo-CD. Pulstar is definitely a tough game. I'm not sure if the slowdown in spots is better on the MVS or AES or not.

I like the game, but like R-Type I'm just awful at it.