N64 controller options

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Typical story:
- got a N64 with controllers that had clapped out analog sticks.
- had a look at some used controllers available locally for sale - all had analog sticks that to varying extent were fcuked.
- could not locate and NOS OEM controllers (do these at all exist?)
- went ahead and bought two new replacement analog sticks ('Repair Box' brand). Opened up my controllers, gave them a thorough clean, installed the sticks - yes they are now stiffer but that does not make them necesserily better for gameplay. To be honest I was finding playing with the busted OEM sticks a lot easier - these lack any real progression - huge dead zone when you begin moving the stick where nothing happens and then all of a sudden the stick engages without any real precision or controlability.
- now thinking of fiddling with the worn out OEM sticks I repalced - moding them with tape etc. but this kind of seems like perfecting the art of sculture in fecal matter :D

So what real options are out there? NOS official N64 controllers seem non existant, I've seen that there are adapters to connect Gamecube controllers - worth pursuing? Or maybe there are some new third party controllers still floating about which are worth snapping up?

Any ideas?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I tried the newer control sticks that resemble GameCube sticks, they work fine for everything except GoldenEye

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I tried the newer control sticks that resemble GameCube sticks, they work fine for everything except GoldenEye

I got the 'original N64' flavour ones - the ones which apparently wear out just like the OEM sticks but offer greater precision than the Gamecube variety - as mentioned IMHO they are pretty crappy. Maybe they have to settle in and will become bette rover time but somehow doubt that.

serge85

n00b
Well, those replacement sticks are crap, the "gamecube" ones are very sensitive, making things like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, almost impossible to play (turok to osme extent, because the game has an option to adjust sensitivity).

I've heard good things about the HORI ones, but they are a bit expensive, anyway if you find OEM ones with good joysticks you could apply some ceramic grease to lube the inner plastics and delay the wear.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Hunt down first party controllers in decent condition. In my opinion, that's really the only good option. I can't play with anything else.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Man, I really don't know how people wreck these sticks (other than Mario Party games). My sticks I got in college in the 90s and played the hell out of are still in great shape. I've picked up a few original controllers along the way for backups. The Hori sticks...eh. I'm 6'4" so I have large hands, they're not the most comfortable sticks in the world for me but the build quality is top notch. I've found the OEM controllers with ugly colors go for cheaper than the good colors, so you can always buy one just for the stick.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The sticks break from use or more commonly having shit put on them or from being crammed in a box (storage) carelessly.

I prefer a hori 64 controller on the rare occasions I'm in the mood to hook my 64 up.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
you can buy replacement gears for OEM N64 sticks http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears, haven't tried it because I prefer the gamecube style replacements. Never noticed it being too sensitive in Goldeneye, that games autoaim pretty much aims for you.

The GC-style replacements suck though. Sure, they're a good idea in practice, but they're fatally flawed too. For one thing, the ADC encoder used in them is garbage, very choppy and its deadzone is uneven. What's worse, they can and will prematurely die. That's what happened to the one I bought. Works for like 5 seconds then starts holding in random directions on its own, every time the controller is plugged in.

There was an ASSembler thread documenting the various N64 stick replacements, with charts and everything.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
One other thing I noticed is that after installation the feeling of the Z button trigger changed - its now less clicky and has a shorter travel. Not necessarily a downside but thought I'd mention it.
Another thing was that while installation was plug and play in one pad i another I had to shave some plastic tabs otherwise the stick would not fit. These tabs were not in the other pad. Tabs cone of easily with a pair of pliers or a file.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hm, I've bought some Gamecube style replacements and they work ok... I played Goldeneye a lot with the same controller before and after replacing and with some getting used to I'm OK with it. Maybe I was just lucky or my brain is wired wrong... I still prefer an OEM controller. There are some "Super Pad" named third party controllers that are supposed to be good (haven't tried one yet, the layout is weird).

I guess next to picking up a used controller with a still good stick the best way would be to either
(1) build a GC to N64 converter or
(2) mod your N64 controller with a GC or PSX stick (or even a GC style replacement) + attiny24
...the attiny24 solution sounds promising to me, I haven't got the parts to try it though :(

Last edited:

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
GC style sticks work amazing with a board made by Micro. Ask him for another batch, I wouldn't mind ordering more, I might do a video review on it. You order those cheap GC style sticks, throw awAy the board and micro controller that comes with it and use Micros parts. It's amazing, works with Goldeneye no problem. Works better than a brand new N64 stick. If they ever get one in I might be able to even mod it for you if you aren't good with solder iron, but it really isn't that hard.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just pulled the trigger on a BNIB OEM N64 pad on ebay UK. Damage = 48 gbp / 75 usd incl p&p. More than I ever wanted to pay but there's little point in having a rgb modded n64, everdrive, expansion pak etc if at the end of the day you cant play any games on it due to shitty controllers.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just as a sidepoint, what do you guys think of the NES emulation on the N64 via the everdrive? Tried only a few games so far but was pleasently surprised - cant see any obvious shortcomings.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I honestly haven't bothered with that. All the N64 games I never played takes priority on my everdrive. I also have NES everdrive so that could have something to do with it.

Just as a sidepoint, what do you guys think of the NES emulation on the N64 via the everdrive? Tried only a few games so far but was pleasently surprised - cant see any obvious shortcomings.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Opened up and had a look at one of the loose OEM sticks I took out of one of the pads. The internals of the mechanism were covered with some white paste like plaster - I guess a sign that somebody was trying a homebrew way of fixing / tightening up the movement. Washed all that shit out and went for the sticky tape fi as per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkAv07lRdhM

Impressions - yes the stick has tightened up, however its rather lumpy in its movement and slow to return to centre. Maybe need to experiment with the amount of tape. In any case it is better than it was but still way short of a solution one would be truly satisfied with.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I'm glad that I bought tons of N64 controller from Movie & Trade place. Always test it out and they are in mint condition.
I know N64 controller is very fragile so I always buy extras just in case.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I tried one of the fixes of the N64 controllers, but it never worked out good for me. Eventually the sticks wear out. When those controller boards come out from Micro make sure you pick up some as spares - such an amazing upgrade to a stock N64 controller.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
GC style sticks work amazing with a board made by Micro. Ask him for another batch, I wouldn't mind ordering more, I might do a video review on it. You order those cheap GC style sticks, throw awAy the board and micro controller that comes with it and use Micros parts. It's amazing, works with Goldeneye no problem. Works better than a brand new N64 stick. If they ever get one in I might be able to even mod it for you if you aren't good with solder iron, but it really isn't that hard.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5803.0

I love how he had to "increase" the price for the letovers he had. Supply and demand I see.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I remember reading about some people messing around with new encoder boards, didn't realize it was a finished product. I'll definitely pick some up next time around.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I completely missed out on the last round so didn't really follow any of that. Interesting. But hopefully a better price on the next round if he does it.

I love how he had to "increase" the price for the letovers he had. Supply and demand I see.