Remember Project Reality???

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I sit down with my Wii U and have way more fun than my XBO, and that's because of the incredible first party games. I'm not sure how them being Nintendo titles somehow diminishes how good the games are, but they're fun, and that's all that matters. They feel like video games to me, whereas on the other consoles it feels like interactive movies.

:up: This right here. So much this statement. I share in this opinion 100%.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So much bullshit hating.

NES is King
SNES got us a taste of arcade at home closer than NES ever got.
The N64 is not the greatest thing ever but it had games that were fun. Mario 64 is a good game and it changed the game a lot but it was so much better than anything 3D at the time.

My favorite N64 titles

F-Zero X
Killer Instinct Gold
Wave Race
Mario Kart
Star Wars Pod Racer
Golden Eye
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
I do have more games but those come to mind instantly 'cause they are genuine good fun with great gameplay and the controller actually does the job for them well.

I also like Mischief Makers, Bangai-O and Sin & Punishment.

Gamecube is also a good system, lots of fun games worth playing.

Luigi's Mansion
Metroid Prime
Mario Sunshine
Mario Strikers*** AWESOME!!!
Mario Kart DD
F-Zero GX
Puyo Pop Fever
Bloody Roar Primal Fear
Just to name a few but the list is actually long.

Wii, another good system, did not like the gimmick much 'cause it turned into a shovelware parade, but hell whatever, there are still plenty of games worth playing. VC is awesome and hacking your wii is awesome for the 240p alone.

Sports & Resort
Castle Shikigami 3
Mario Strikers SUper Charged
House of the dead games
Resident Evil Gun games
The list goes on and on...

Funny how I know there are plenty of games that are great and yet people bash on this and bash on that. Lame.

WiiU, those new Super MArio Bros. games look insane, lots of awesome challeneges and what have you and the luigi game looks even more awesome! I gave a WiiU to my GF so I get to play it and not have to even consider getting it, I'm so done buying all the systems for each gen, I'm not doing it anymore, I may get a PS4 for Street Fighter V and Ridge Racer but maybe I'll get a XBOXOne way down the road.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
This is gonna be a good one... For what it's worth... back in the day (im still reading the thread)...

It was thanks to the N64 that I went multiplatform thereafter. I have not been a one console owner since then. There were a lot of really good projects with Nintendo then. I personally never found an appeal to the Playstation. Having coming from a heavy arcade background i just couldn't tolerate the PSX. I do however (to this day) want to get a PSX, the one that has extremely good quality CD. There is one model in particular that has that.

I did not like Mario 64 at the time. I think I have begun to like Mario64 mainly due to speedruns. To this day, I think that some of the most memorable games from Nintendo come from the NES, SNES, and N64. Who the fuck actually played Mario Sunshine, GTFO. and as much as they hyped it, it sounds like Skyward Sword was garbage (I dont know if anybody has played it please let me know) it looked good for a Zelda game, but the controllers, GTFO Nintendo.

And besides Project Reality i was looking forward to Nintendo Photoshop AKA Mario Artist on DD64.

IDK, the DD64 to this day and the numerous cancelled games for the N64 (Mother 3, Kimba the White Lion, Robotech Crystal Dreams to name a few) have been some of the most interesting cancelled games in my memory (besides the Highlander game on PS3, I was kinda looking forward to that one early on)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Jeff, I have the first model "audiophile" PSX if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Nintendo blew their load on Mario 64 and wouldn't release another large, premiere title until Zelda came out late 1998.

I've got to disagree with you there. Star Fox 64 and Goldeneye came out in 1997. Didn't Mario Kart 64 come out in 1997, too? And then there was Diddy Kong Racing...

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Uhhh no. Mario 64 came out when the system launched in September of '96. Goldeneye came out almost a full year later and is the most overrated game in the history of video games.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Uhhh no. Mario 64 came out when the system launched in September of '96. Goldeneye came out almost a full year later and is the most overrated game in the history of video games.

Whoops, I meant Star Fox 64.

As for Goldeneye, I'm not a fan either, but it was still huge.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've got to disagree with you there. Star Fox 64 and Goldeneye came out in 1997. Didn't Mario Kart 64 come out in 1997, too? And then there was Diddy Kong Racing...

Yes, all three of those came out in 1997...but if you consider those big name, premier titles like Mario 64, Zelda or Final Fantasy VII was...I guess you're easily pleased.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd also argue that there was tons of console hype back in the day. From the wars between Nintendo and Sega to the marketing juggernaut for the PS2 and it's DVD player and backwards compatibility and many systems in between those generations, I think the industry has done a good job making its customers well aware of brand recognition.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Most FPS on consoles are trash and Goldeneye is no exception.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Most FPS on consoles are trash and Goldeneye is no exception.
Golden eye was kinda fun but trying to cram 4 players on an old TV was rage inducing. That and everyone could just watch what each other was doing. So much horse shit.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Screen watchers were easy to dispose of. Our crew had a rule among us to not screen watch wasn't hard. I had all 3 back in the day. They all had their good games. As for the games from that period that I still go back to reside on the Saturn and N64.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'd also argue that there was tons of console hype back in the day. From the wars between Nintendo and Sega to the marketing juggernaut for the PS2 and it's DVD player and backwards compatibility and many systems in between those generations, I think the industry has done a good job making its customers well aware of brand recognition.

BLAST PROCESSING

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
That "Horseshit" is still one of the best 3D platformers ever, if not the best.

Still perfect for that game.

Apples and Oranges.

Had 'em both in the same era/time period.
Don't even try to put the fanboy tag on me on that one. If it wasn't for the Japanese Saturn Arcade imports and the big Zelda titles, that whole gen was utter garbage to me.

agreed 300%

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I don’t understand all this hate for the system. Mario 64 is still considered by critics and fans to be one of the greatest if not the greatest 3d plat-former of all time. Golden Eye being hated is funny too. There really wasn't a console shooter that beat it until the ambitious Perfect Dark came out in 2000 and then Halo in 2001. The N64 FPS library while not as good when compared to PC FPS of the time, it was still solid and better than the PS counterparts. The controller did feel cheap it worked well for many games.

I never owned a PlayStation so I really can’t say much about it. I did play Metal Gear and Tony Hawk and those were really fun. I never been a real big fan of jrpg’s and that was about the only big advantage the PS1 had over the N64. The lack of cd quality music really sucked, but the system still manage to produce some really good tunes for their games. While some FMVs are nice to have, it wasn’t too big of a deal breaker to me. And for all systems of that time, the 3d graphics have aged badly for the most part. I will admit that Zelda AlttP is a much nicer game to look at than Zelda Oot today.

Some games that I haven’t seen posted as fun N64 games

-WWF WrestleMania 2000 (All the THQ games)
-Perfect Dark
-Turok 2
-Zelda Oot/ MM
-Mario Party 1-3
-Super Smash Bros.
-NFL Blitz 99/00
-DK 64
-Conker’s Bad Fur Day
-Rayman 2
-Banjo Kazooie

I probably had most fun with the multiplayer offerings like Mario Party or SSB. I always had friends or family that would all hang out and we would all play on the 64. Not to say that their single player games or even playing solo with some of the more multiplayer focused games weren’t fun either. I’m just saying that aspect of gaming is what I remember most fondly about the system today.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Yes, all three of those came out in 1997...but if you consider those big name, premier titles like Mario 64, Zelda or Final Fantasy VII was...I guess you're easily pleased.

Yeah, they're pretty big. Especially Star Fox 64.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
...and here comes the N64 lovers...

Let me start over. It's painfully obvious that I do not care for the N64, but that doesn't mean I am attempting to be insulting to anyone who likes it (and there are plenty who do). This thread has actually made me rethink things a bit concerning the system (which I do own, BTW). I've actually been chewing on this and reading your opinion and memories of the thing.

I guess, to me, the N64 was simply promise -vs- payout, and to me the promise was so much more than what was delivered. I guess rather than say I hate the N64, I should say that I am deeply disappointed with it.

I'll give my take on it (as that is all I really can do) and leave it at that.

With the age that I was, and my time gaming at the time of the N64/PS1 era...I had general expectations with games and I will admit I was constantly "chasing the dragon" so to speak always looking for that new epic gaming experience. I demanded more and more epic games with more content, more advancement, more complicated gameplay, the N64 was never that system.

Nintendo basically lost full support from every major production house when they made the move to the N64, and with that, they lost the big name titles (on a related note, as a die hard RPG player at the time, the N64 was DOA automatically). In the end, I think this is the main reason why I didn't like the system.

But one game stands out to me. In my mind, one game changed the entire direction of US gaming in not only the 90's, but would influence games for years after that.
Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

This game set the standard when it was released. Sadly, the N64 would have nothing like this...ever. Once I played this title, I knew it was an evolution in gaming...it was unlike anything I had ever played before. It was sad to me this evolution didn't happen on the N64.

Lastly, I did have fun with the N64 at times. Mario kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis and most importantly, Paper Mario...which was a superb game. Sadly, it came out in 2001 WELL after the N64 had seen it's peak. To this day, I still have paper Mario, it really is a superb game.

In the end, because of your comments on this thread, I'm going to adjust my stance on the N64...I don't despise the thing (I do despise that fucking controller though), I'm just disappointed in it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Fuck that. The N64 was garbage.

I had a totally useless and pointless "soul search" last night...and had to really think of things.

I like the Game Cube and dislike the N64. Why is this? After chewing on it...I didn't have an answer. The Game Cube is a pretty simple machine. The few games I like for the thing are all pretty simple. In the end, I concluded it was expectation -vs- payout. I expected nothing from the GC, I got little. Little is more than nothing aka not a failure. I had massive hopes for the N64 given the hype and the success of the NES and SNES...it didn't even come close to delivering...so, failure.

In the end, I did have fun with the N64 from time to time...so it is false to say I hate it. I really think "grossly disappointed" is far more applicable.

Hey Smokehouse, what did you think of the Virtual Boy?

Spent very little time with it. I played a demo at Blockbuster when it came out and was immediately turned off to it (for obvious reasons). Haven't played once since.

I disagree...partially.

Pre console launch hype? With the Master System, NES, Turbo Grafx 16 and even the Genesis...there was zero "hype". You'd be lucky to hear of these upcoming system even if you dug deep into gaming magazines of the time. There would be occasional commercials after the system was out, but pre-hype? Next to none. I was a faithful EGM, Game Player's and Nintendo Power reader in the 80's...the launch of the TG-16 caught me off guard. One day, it just popped up in stores.

The SNES mildly turned this around...but just barely. You could find occasional articles in EGM or Nintendo Power but again...not much hype there. On the SNES was released, it simply appeared in stores in giant stacks. No lines, no buying wars...it was just there.

The N64 was the first "big deal" console with more hype than I had ever seen before that. years of articles, Nintendo generated hype and CES showings. Even the Saturn wasn't pushed that hard. The N64 was the first console in the US to be "hard to get" on launch. It was the must-have Christmas gift of 1996 and was in insane demand, I had never seen a US console launch go like that.

I really feel the hype-machine kicked in with the Dreamcast launch and then really hit full steam with the PS2. The PS2 launch was literally the first time I witnessed mass lines at midnight launches all over town, shortages, price wars, mass shortages. It was crazy (and much closer to what japan had experienced for years before that).

I think you're confusing the hype machine post launch, which during the Genesis/SNES era...was huge for the first time. Sega really attacked Nintendo and it set the stage for massive advertising campaigns of the 90's (which have really seemed to die down)

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Console hype and competition has existed since the days of Atari and Intellivision. It has been a thing for a long time and is still a thing now. The idea of creating brand loyalty has been a part of advertising in everything forever. But I don't really care about your opinion on the subject quite enough to try and change it. I'll just disagree with you.

I'm more pissed off about that toilet picture. Fucking disgusting man. How do you even sleep at night after posting that? I'd hate to see your tumblr.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Console hype and competition has existed since the days of Atari and Intellivision. It has been a thing for a long time and is still a thing now. The idea of creating brand loyalty has been a part of advertising in everything forever. But I don't really care about your opinion on the subject quite enough to try and change it. I'll just disagree with you.

I'm more pissed off about that toilet picture. Fucking disgusting man. How do you even sleep at night after posting that? I'd hate to see your tumblr.

I do not have a tumblr account…

I'm actually surprised that shocked you…I'll edit it but it was quoted so that may stay the same…

Yup…the quote is still the same. Sorry man, not much I can do about that part...

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
smokes ya done goofed big time

sure i posted a toilet with my pubes once

but shit? you crossed a line