Remember Project Reality???

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
But still fun.

The cart format really hurt the N64. You still would have had the fog issues that plagued most games, but the audio and movies would have matched what ps1/sat was throwing out. In the end, I find more of the n64 games playable today than ps1 games. But that's my preference.

The 32bit era was caught between ambition and reality of what the hardware could muster. It really should have been more of a push for the advancement of 2D from the consoles. 3D was better left to the PC world during those years.

Nintendo fucked themselves. Their absolute refusal to adopt CD ROM as a media was absolutely absurd and their obsession with jaggies led to the over use of anti-aliasing made most games look like blurry shit. Being a big audio fan...the N64 never came close to what damn near every PS1 game could do. Some PS1 soundtracks were just awesome...

Games like Castlevania SotN or Mega Man 8 showed just how awesome the 32-bit era could have been for 2D gaming...

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Unlike many other people on this site, I actually really liked the N64 back years ago. Of course, it helped that I got into it back in around 2000 or so, when most games for it were already released. Too bad most of the games aren't enjoyable to me anymore, especially the FPS games w/ that single analog stick. At least there're some pretty good racers & a few other games that are still fun today.

On-topic: The video was pretty interesting. I want to see Super Mario 64 remade with that engine. Too bad it'll never happen though.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I want to see Super Mario 64 remade with that engine.

Why would you want to see this game remade again? Didn't they do this for the DS as a launch title? Doesn't Nintendo sell this on every version of the eShop? You seriously want to re-buy this game again? You deserve to throw away your money.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
-I buy it on launch along side Mario 64 and when I finally fire it up, I'm greeted with this horse shit:
Mario64.jpg

That "Horseshit" is still one of the best 3D platformers ever, if not the best.

...and I'm forced to use this pile of shit:
n64-controller.jpg

Still perfect for that game.

...then see this shortly thereafter:

FFVII_zps0wyhqfbi.jpg

Apples and Oranges.

Had 'em both in the same era/time period.
Don't even try to put the fanboy tag on me on that one. If it wasn't for the Japanese Saturn Arcade imports and the big Zelda titles, that whole gen was utter garbage to me.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm glad I was able to play all this shit when it was brand new.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I know. Played the cab. Looked quite alot shittier on the N64.

Oh yeah, it was awful and it played awful too. :(

Oh...it was shitty...

What's funny is that my buddy had a N64 and in the early life of the system (1997), he would ravenously rent any new games that would poop out for that system. He rented Crusin' USA and called me over. A super bitter N64 hater at the time...I laughed my ass off when he fired it up (we were both mild fans of the arcade title). LULZ@him while he sat there attempting to scrape any good from that turd made my heart grow three sizes larger that day. We spent the rest of the time playing Wipeout XL on my PS1 (which back then, I would take to my friend's houses on game nights)...it was so much better...

I will say, I did mildly enjoy Star Wars SotE on the N64 when it was new...which he had at the time...

Hahaha, so he rented all 5 games that came out that first year? :lolz:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Unlike many other people on this site, I actually really liked the N64 back years ago. Of course, it helped that I got into it back in around 2000 or so, when most games for it were already released. Too bad most of the games aren't enjoyable to me anymore, especially the FPS games w/ that single analog stick. At least there're some pretty good racers & a few other games that are still fun today.

On-topic: The video was pretty interesting. I want to see Super Mario 64 remade with that engine. Too bad it'll never happen though.

For the people that I know that dislike the N64 like I do...they were there for the entire process.

The NES was the undisputed king of the hill for most people. Sure, the Genesis did provide a distraction (and for some trumped the SNES) but for the Nintendo faithful, the SNES was everything the NES was, just improved. Everything we loved about the NES was there...just far better. Combine the hype Nintendo generated with our expectations as well as out devotion to Nintendo and its easy to see what the N64 was such a let down for so many of us.

In spirit...the Playstation was the "SNES +1"...if you removed Sony and Nintendo from the PS1, NES, and SNES and sat them all in a row. If you then showed it to someone who is unaware of them...I'm sure they'd think the PS1 was the evolution of the SNES. Hell, the controller even follows an evolutionary scale...look at this:

NES%20controller%20fix_zpseciovjvu.jpg

SNES_Controller%20clean_zpsvsvtzxaq.jpg

PS1%20controller%20clean_zpsh4mozd7h.jpg

A bit of a photo hack job on my part...but you get the point. Each controller felt like an evolution of the previous.

The N64 controller was just a mess...as was the system...

The PS1 trumped the SNES in graphics and sound just as the SNES had done over the NES. It was just missing a "nintendo" logo on the outside.

Oh yeah, it was awful and it played awful too. :(

Hahaha, so he rented all 5 games that came out that first year? :lolz:

Pretty much. He did like Mario 64 (...somewhat) and did give Star Wars a good run, but that was about it. I remember him being all butt-hurt when I bought FFVII on release back in 1997. Then there was other games like Jet Moto, Twisted Metal, Resident Evil games, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania SotN, etc, etc, etc....

He bought a Game Cube back then too...I remember that he got Metroid Prime on release and sat in my living room trying to defend it while he and I took turns playing it.

After busting his balls about it that night that it was just a damn FPS with a Metroid theme and that it couldn't hold a candle to Super Metroid, he agreed with me...

He finally gave up his Nintendo fanboy status once he bought a Wii...he gave in and bought a PS3. He now refuses to get a Wii U.

Gotta give it to him...he held out FAR longer than I ever did...

Last edited:

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Why would you want to see this game remade again? Didn't they do this for the DS as a launch title? Doesn't Nintendo sell this on every version of the eShop? You seriously want to re-buy this game again? You deserve to throw away your money.

Well I didn't say I wanted an official release. A fan-remake in particular would be fine. I just said it would never happen because it'll get taken down too just like the Mario 64 Unity remake.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Pretty much. He did like Mario 64 (...somewhat) and did give Star Wars a good run, but that was about it. I remember him being all butt-hurt when I bought FFVII on release back in 1997. Then there was other games like Jet Moto, Twisted Metal, Resident Evil games, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania SotN, etc, etc, etc....

He bought a Game Cube back then too...I remember that he got Metroid Prime on release and sat in my living room trying to defend it while he and I took turns playing it.

After busting his balls about it that night that it was just a damn FPS with a Metroid theme and that it couldn't hold a candle to Super Metroid, he agreed with me...

He finally gave up his Nintendo fanboy status once he bought a Wii...he gave in and bought a PS3. He now refuses to get a Wii U.

Gotta give it to him...he held out FAR longer than I ever did...

Oh man, the Gamecube was really bad. Worse than the N64. The only good game I can remember was Skies of Arcadia, and that was a port from the Dreamcast. I hated everything because it was just a rehash.

I used the GC as a gameboy advance player primarily. Fuck I wish I would have held onto it, because I had the component cable that's selling for damn near $300 now... :scratch:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Oh man, the Gamecube was really bad. Worse than the N64. The only good game I can remember was Skies of Arcadia, and that was a port from the Dreamcast. I hated everything because it was just a rehash.

Get out. I'm taking you off my friend list.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Get out. I'm taking you off my friend list.

:lolz:

I don't know, maybe I missed something, but there weren't many titles that held my interest. I did like what Crapcom did with the Resident Evils, and I guess Tales of Symphonia was alright (although I never finished it). Metroid Prime got old fast. Didn't even want to play the second one when it came out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I used the GC as a gameboy advance player primarily. Fuck I wish I would have held onto it, because I had the component cable that's selling for damn near $300 now... :scratch:

I actually have the component cable...LOL...maybe I should sell the thing...

In retrospect, I actually like the GC...odd little thing that it was. I have the Resident Evil titles, the Midway Arcade collection titles, the Mega Man Collection (ugg, controller layout), Paper Mario 2 and the GBA player...I still use mine from time to time.

Which is a shame, because the Wii U is the best console of this generation.

Honestly...I don't think this will be the case when the smoke clears.

I don't give out titles when it is current gen. The Wii seemed strong at first as well, but honestly, I doubt few would rate it above the PS3 or 360 now that all three are pretty much dead and gone. I have a feeling the best of what the PS4 and XBone has under their belts is yet to come...unlike the once again under powered WiiU which, like the Wii, will begin to look dated in no time...

To add to that...I can never award "best of class" status to a console where it's primary strength is in house titles. Nintendo really needs to get back in bed with top tier developers if they ever want to be a contender.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is really ridiculous to pay more than $40 for the GC component cable.

You can buy a wii for $40.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That "Horseshit" is still one of the best 3D platformers ever, if not the best.

...and I'm glad you loved it. Many did not. There's a reason why Super Mario World is thought of by many as the top of the top of Mario titles. Mario was a sparse, often vacant and detail-less world where you spent most of your time trying not to fall off of shit while fighting the camera. Hell...as goofy as it was, Crash bandicoot had better play mechanics than Mario 64. Fighting the camera does not make a 3D game a "best of"...sorry...Mario 64 was clumsy at best more often than not.

Still perfect for that game.

No, no it was not perfect for anything besides cramming your knuckles together in a small space. (Oh...and that shit analog stick, it was perfect at being cheap feeling with too long of a throw) if you could take a Dual shock controller and tie it to a N64, I'm guessing more would chose it to play Mario 64 than the shitty N64 controller. If that had been some hit design, they would have stuck with it rather than scrap the thing when the Game Cube came out.

Apples and Oranges.

Had 'em both in the same era/time period.
Don't even try to put the fanboy tag on me on that one. If it wasn't for the Japanese Saturn Arcade imports and the big Zelda titles, that whole gen was utter garbage to me.

Yes and no. Genera? Yes, you are 100% right. 3D platform title -vs- a RPG. Big gun -vs- big gun? 100% applicable and a HUGE deal for the time.

Nintendo blew their load on Mario 64 and wouldn't release another large, premiere title until Zelda came out late 1998. That ad was Sony's KO to Nintendo and entrance into the big boy's club.

FFVII being swapped from the N64 to the PS1 wasn't just a game...it was a shift in the industry. At the time, what that ad screamed to me was "hey fellas, there's a new top dog in town." and that is exactly what happened. The Saturn flopped and the N64 took a very distant back seat to the PS1 if you were a US gamer. If there was a high budget, adult oriented, premier game to be made after the Square move to the Sony...it was going to be on the Playstation and not the N64. I posted that exact picture for a reason...that wasn't just a game "FYI", it was a message. "If you want FF titles, it will only be on the Playstation"...many other companies followed suit after that deal.

(on a side note, I have to say...I highly enjoyed the mid/late 90's gaming era...sorry you didn't.)

Why would you give out titles at all? Do you work in the industry?

Meh...you know what I mean. Everybody likes to declare favorites, I'm no exception.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I will never unseen that toilet image

Spoiler, man. We aren't all hardcore.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
N64 was a great controller... Especially for games that were designed for it.

Playstation 1,2,3,4 controller is souless and borring. Maybe a good design for its time, but not anymore.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I did like Rogue Squadron, Mischief Makers, and Paper Mario. Not much after that, maybe a strong once playthrough. Looking back I can't figure out why I bought a Jp 64 when it came out, it really was pretty much a failed attempt and most likely a shoehorn product to salvage piss poor customer interaction. Gamers were ready for the SNES CD, but they screwed it up by rolling two of the main companies that supplied the CD format. Bad move, It's most likely why they didn't hit an optical format till the Gamecube, when they went with Panasonic and chose the Mini DVD format.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Once they figured out how to not fuck up Anti Aliasing, N64 games looked quite good. I guess you could argue that PS1 finally figured out how to correctly smooth Jaggies a bit by the end as well.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Honestly...I don't think this will be the case when the smoke clears.

I don't give out titles when it is current gen. The Wii seemed strong at first as well, but honestly, I doubt few would rate it above the PS3 or 360 now that all three are pretty much dead and gone. I have a feeling the best of what the PS4 and XBone has under their belts is yet to come...unlike the once again under powered WiiU which, like the Wii, will begin to look dated in no time...

To add to that...I can never award "best of class" status to a console where it's primary strength is in house titles. Nintendo really needs to get back in bed with top tier developers if they ever want to be a contender.

What are you specifically using to gauge success? I'm not talking about giving out titles. I'm talking about sitting down with a console and enjoying games. I'm not talking about which has the better specs, which developers are working on what console, or if they're "contenders" (they are). I sit down with my Wii U and have way more fun than my XBO, and that's because of the incredible first party games. I'm not sure how them being Nintendo titles somehow diminishes how good the games are, but they're fun, and that's all that matters. They feel like video games to me, whereas on the other consoles it feels like interactive movies.

I agree that the N64 is garbage with terrible first and 3rd party titles, and a complete shit controller. You'll never get an argument out of me concerning that.