Greece’s Debt Crisis

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33307263 said:
Greek banks are closed and will stay shut for the week, after the country's debt crisis took a dramatic turn.

But cash machines are due to reopen in the afternoon and there are reports of fresh queues.

Greece decided on Sunday to shut banks and restrict cash withdrawals after the European Central Bank resolved not to extend emergency funding.

It followed the failure on Friday of talks with Greek creditors on continuing with the bailout programme.

Greece crisis - live coverage

A critical deadline looms on Tuesday, when Greece is due to pay back €1.6bn to the International Monetary Fund - the same day the bailout expires. There are fears of a default and a possible exit from euro.

The French cabinet met on Monday in emergency session. President Francois Hollande said afterwards that a deal was still possible if the Greeks wanted it.

"There are a few hours before the negotiation is definitively closed, in particular for the prolongation of the Greek aid programme."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman said that she was "ready for further talks" with the Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras "if he actually wants to".

In its decree bringing in the bank restrictions, the Greek government cited the "extremely urgent" need to protect the financial system due to the lack of liquidity.

The main points are:

---> Banks closed till 6 July
---> Cash withdrawals limited to €60 (£42; $66) a day for this period
---> Cash machine withdrawals with foreign bank cards permitted
---> Pension payments not part of capital controls
---> Banking transactions within Greece allowed

The crisis came to a head on Saturday after Greece and eurozone countries failed to reach agreement on payment of the last tranche of bailout money.

Discuss....

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
They are FUCKED!

xROTx

PS. It's FAR too early for me to go into why I feel it's gone down like this... but it would start off with the Phrase... "The Greeks are DUMBASS...."

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I see greeks in the russian friendzone soon.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
People that insist on cash beyond a few thousand dollars are tax cheats or dodgy in some way that I don't want to be a part of.

I usually have less than 20 bucks on me at any given time. If I want to buy something from craigslist or whatever I stop at the ATM on the way to pick it up. Anything over a few hundred bucks gets a bank cashier's check.

You guys stashin' cash are fools.

Bet the Greeks who've been sewing their Euros into their mattresses for the past 8 years feel pretty smug right now.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's a fantastic time to invest in the Euro thanks to Greece. They did this to themselves with no signs of changing; I expect them to get the boot. Their debtors may be fighting to keep them in the union.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Its a fantastic time to dig into a Greek Salad.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
According to GregN and Lithy the only greeks who keep their cash out of the bank are felons, drug dealers, tax cheats etc.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Default is inevitable. They should just get it over with now because the longer they wait, the worse it will be.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
halloumi2.jpg

Hope this doesn't hurt the supply of Fage yogurt. Damn that's some good stuff... Even if bobby flay is a douche.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
THey should just default. It will be much better in the long run.

StevenK

10 Year Member
THey should just default. It will be much better in the long run.

How long run and for who?

Bear in mind you're talking about the most violent continent in history that has somehow held itself together for an unprecedented amount of time due in large part to the European Union.

Sorry to be blunt, but bullshit post.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I have a few friends in Athens, I believe they are doing OK considering the situation; none none of whom are dumb or lazy.

Hope Greece can find a reasonable solution without resorting to borrowing from the lender of last resort - Putin

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
How long run and for who?

Bear in mind you're talking about the most violent continent in history that has somehow held itself together for an unprecedented amount of time due in large part to the European Union.

Sorry to be blunt, but bullshit post.

Do they have to leave the EU entirely or just the single currency?

StevenK

10 Year Member
Do they have to leave the EU entirely or just the single currency?

The Greek people have been given a referendum on leaving the single currency, as the party in control at the moment want, but the EU has made it quite clear that if they leave the currency they leave the EU.

It's all totally fucked.