Pandora Box 3 Multi-Game 520-1 PCB

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the one on the 161 is the proto rom. The one in the 120 is the correct one.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
that is really cool! i might have to look into this! with all those games installed, its worth the price!

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah sorry to clarify I installed a DPDT switch in my supergun that switched between ground and kick 3 and that allowed it to work properly without an adapter.

Which switch is that? Does it have multiple Jamma ports, how many, and how does this solve the PB3 problem? I struggle to see how these switches would handle this problem.

EDIT: Oh, found your post, you meant a little switch? I thought you were talking about a multi-jamma-switcher which also deals with the PB3 Jamma connection issues. I was pretty sure nothing like that came up in the thread, so was confused by your post... but if it existed, I'd buy it :D.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Getting a nice piece of kit with my Pandora's box 3 - a JNX Atlas! Will post my impressions of the box.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
There's a seller with it for $58 today with a $2 coupon. I just picked up two.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/520-...ard-games-multigame-card-VGA/32413833968.html

Careful, the picture displayed for that board appears to be different than the version I posted. That one has the VGA connector on the same side as the test switch and volume nob. I have no idea if there are different Pandora 3 revisions but that seller seems to carefully not show the top of the board. Also the case on that one seems to have curved edges, the one I posted has all straight lines and looks like a mini PS4. Buyer beware.

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Careful, the picture displayed for that board appears to be different than the version I posted. That one has the VGA connector on the same side as the test switch and volume nob. I have no idea if there are different Pandora 3 revisions but that seller seems to carefully not show the top of the board. Also the case on that one seems to have curved edges, the one I posted has all straight lines and looks like a mini PS4. Buyer beware.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll see when they come. The standard price is in line with what everyone else is charging, so I'd like to think that means it's legit. When I was looking at it yesterday it was still $72 and happened to drop today.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Well damnit.

What kind of world is it when you have to worry about getting a bootleg of a bootleg.

:angry:

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well damnit.

What kind of world is it when you have to worry about getting a bootleg of a bootleg.

:angry:

We're in this together now! I still have the option to cancel it, but I'm just going to see how it all plays out.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
We're in this together now! I still have the option to cancel it, but I'm just going to see how it all plays out.

Yeah, same. Less than $60 at risk, so not a big deal.

Can always dump it on eBay.

:keke:

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll see when they come. The standard price is in line with what everyone else is charging, so I'd like to think that means it's legit. When I was looking at it yesterday it was still $72 and happened to drop today.
Can you post whatever you find, I'd be interested in knowing what the differences are, other than the external shape. Given the VGA connector's position, it definitely seems to have a different PCB layout.

kruuth

n00b
Hi guys. You can probably tell from my name who I am, and if not, feel free to hit the klov forum for what I did with the "other" multiboards.

I'm getting my hands on one of these shortly and plan to see what is on there and what can be done. A little info from what I can gather on there now:

Looks to be running FBA. This in and of itself is not that bad. Problem is that different versions support different games. Need to see about that.
As far as TATE versions go for shooters...this is a maybe. Need to see on in action and see what can be done with the command line switches. If someone can post clear pics of both sides of the board that'd be fantastic. If I can find a JTAG port on one of these things that's even better. If they're running linux then that will change what can be done. If they're running minios then that's a different story. Need to see though. What probably is happening on these is a faster pandora 2 with a different FBA but I need to see it and look into the SD to see what is really happening. As far as resolution goes, changing the res on these is probably not going to happen because in most cases they're running something hardwired for a specific resolution in all cases(640x480) and stepping it down for the CGA portion. Again, need to see it to check.

Adding games? Depends on the kind of checking and type of EMU, and believe me this is all emulation. If it's FBA then it's a function of seeing what's been compiled in. Ditto if it's mame. I'm still leaning to FBA because of the games list. If they had something odd in there like Cannon Dancer or Shinobi or something on other random hardware then I'd lean to MAME.

Will post what I find on the klov site.

Best case scenario...it's running something like retroarch with a later version of ARM MAME and no protection.
Worst case scenario...it's running minios with a custom FBA version.

*EDIT-When I mean maybe on the tate shooters, that means that the entire thing would have to go vertical, menus, emulators, etc.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

they almost look like repurposed Blue Elf 2's?

I stupidly bought one as well - we'll see.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Hi guys. You can probably tell from my name who I am, and if not, feel free to hit the klov forum for what I did with the "other" multiboards.

I'm getting my hands on one of these shortly and plan to see what is on there and what can be done. A little info from what I can gather on there now:

Looks to be running FBA. This in and of itself is not that bad. Problem is that different versions support different games. Need to see about that.
As far as TATE versions go for shooters...this is a maybe. Need to see on in action and see what can be done with the command line switches. If someone can post clear pics of both sides of the board that'd be fantastic. If I can find a JTAG port on one of these things that's even better. If they're running linux then that will change what can be done. If they're running minios then that's a different story. Need to see though. What probably is happening on these is a faster pandora 2 with a different FBA but I need to see it and look into the SD to see what is really happening. As far as resolution goes, changing the res on these is probably not going to happen because in most cases they're running something hardwired for a specific resolution in all cases(640x480) and stepping it down for the CGA portion. Again, need to see it to check.

Adding games? Depends on the kind of checking and type of EMU, and believe me this is all emulation. If it's FBA then it's a function of seeing what's been compiled in. Ditto if it's mame. I'm still leaning to FBA because of the games list. If they had something odd in there like Cannon Dancer or Shinobi or something on other random hardware then I'd lean to MAME.

Will post what I find on the klov site.

Best case scenario...it's running something like retroarch with a later version of ARM MAME and no protection.
Worst case scenario...it's running minios with a custom FBA version.

*EDIT-When I mean maybe on the tate shooters, that means that the entire thing would have to go vertical, menus, emulators, etc.

This is awesome, looking forward with what you can do with this thing, kruuth!

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
they almost look like repurposed Blue Elf 2's?

I stupidly bought one as well - we'll see.

Exactly.... Honestly sometimes I don't understand why people really need to save an extra $5 and take the chance on something that obviously doesn't match what was posted on PAGE 1. Hope you don't get burned.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does anybody know if there's any way to get into softdip settings or test menus on the various games? Metal Slug Milk Mode sucks.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Does anybody know if there's any way to get into softdip settings or test menus on the various games? Metal Slug Milk Mode sucks.

Yes it does. Luckily the 161-1 has the test menu.

mmmonkey

Quiz Detective

On the main menu, press the small button that's next to the volume dial, then go into game settings I think.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On the main menu, press the small button that's next to the volume dial, then go into game settings I think.

It gives you options for difficulty and lives, but not all of the normal settings.

Yes it does. Luckily the 161-1 has the test menu.

I mean on the Pandora. For those times I'm too lazy to hook up real hardware.

On another note, I discovered TiT was broken on this. I played up to the Neon Night Riders stage, and on that stage all sprites are invisible, making it impossible to really play.

It gives you options for difficulty and lives, but not all of the normal settings.
Unfortunately no, it's one of the things that really suck about the Pandora... I would have loved being able to set whether I want the demo sounds on a lot of games, and you just can't set those kinds of options. Ideally, for me, I'd love if it had a global option to set whether we want demo sounds or not.