Gamestop to start selling classic games and consoles

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
- Buy below market, sell for over ebay prices.
- Employee theft will increase.

Any valuable game that comes in, a typical GS employee will:
"You only get $4 trade in for that, if you want cash back its 50% of that."
"Meet me outside in the parking lot and I'll buy it from you for $10"

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
They're not gonna go below market, they're just gonna try to buy below market. This isn't going to help much.

Yeah that is true. I guess maybe they are hoping people still have the old stuff packed up in their closest and will trade it in for the newest COD without bothering to check out how much any of it is worth. Curious to see how they will price everything.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ya. They wouldn't even bother getting back into it but they see dollar signs with the ridiculous amounts people are paying now.

I still remember getting my copy of Earthbound in a gamestop bin back in 2005 for $15 though. Good times then.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

this is about right.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,

Agreed. This whole mess is not good for gaming in general, not just "retro" gaming.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This will not end well.....for Gamestop.

I mean, really think hard about this. This isn't 1998-2002 we're talking about here, no one is going to walk through their door with a giant box of NES stuff and want to sell it for pennies on the dollar. This means they're going to have to find this shit...there has to be a source. At this point, most people who still have NES/SNES/Genesis/etc games/systems know what they are and own them for a reason. Who is going to walk into a Gamestop with a V1 Genesis and be ok with trading it in for a $15 store credit...

This will go over like Burger King's Dinner Baskets or Wendy's Super Bar...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I got a LOT of stuff for little or no money when I worked at GS - A free Jaguar, cheap Lynx with a bunch of CIB games, a free Game Gear, free NES's... A friend of mine scooped an AES from someone who turned out to be a member here. Things got more scarce as the "retro craze" went into full-swing.

Emo-fags/hipsters would rifle through the SNES bins looking for anything Mario and Zelda, passing up games like Super EDF and Phalanx.

The Genesis bins would be untouched 'cause people are fucking savages and don't appreciate superior quality games ;-)

GS didn't even do any clearance sales on any of it. IIRC, we had to box it up and ship it to another store... Gawd only knows what happened after that.

Being familiar with their so-called "sales tactics", it would be interesting to see what they price these things at. I'm sure it will be right in line with what the gamerz are willing to shell out. If anything, it could be a great bargaining point for people like us:

"How much you want for this? (holds up something like "Spy Hunter" for the NES - easily a $5 or less game)"

"$20"

"LOL @ YOU RETRO FAYG! GayStop wont even give you $3 for that game! I'll give you $2 and you can listen to me verbally bash you because your ironic t-shirt and boat shoes don't match your skinny jeans."

"Fine."

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Woah, say what you will about Burger King but lets leave the Super Bar out of this.

no-hippos-in-wendys.gif

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Since most of the stuff is going digital i can see why Gamestop would try to gather as many physical copies as possible. They can rule the used gaming merchandise & dont bother with the newer games.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
GS didn't even do any clearance sales on any of it. IIRC, we had to box it up and ship it to another store... Gawd only knows what happened after that.

What they did with everything. Palletize and sell off to the highest bidder.

Except PS2, now they completely gut them into sleeves and toss all the cases, inserts, and manuals.

Can you imagine how many original Xboxes they had? I was paid to rebuild all the shelves at Broadbrook cause 60 xboxes collapsed on an employee. One store, 60 OG Xboxes.

Last edited:

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
well all classic game stores here in San diego (we have a few) sell Games at least at ebay price (some higher). when you sell to them they'll go - 60/70% ebay price for store credit. They are making some decent money if gamestop can beat that i may start shopping at them again

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
What they did with everything. Palletize and sell off to the highest bidder.

Except PS2, now they completely gut them into sleeves and toss all the cases, inserts, and manuals.

Can you imagine how many original Xboxes they had? I was paid to rebuild all the shelves at Broadbrook cause 60 xboxes collapsed on an employee. One store, 60 OG Xboxes.

The STACKS and STACKS of shit that we could never get rid of. PS2s were great to stack but when it came to the XB1, that slight curve on the top meant that you now had to put them in plain cardboard boxes which made the real estate that it took up get even more ridiculous, and I can TOTALLY understand the sheer immensity that 60 of them would take up.

My last inventory with that company we counted 837 copies of different COD games for XB360 up to and including MW3. Imagine the slightly smaller, but equally sickening numbers for the PS3 and Wii.

That job really kinda soured me for the whole industry. None of it is fun anymore. New games are all the same and old games have become a business. Why should someone have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a game that came out 20+ years ago?! Why should technology get any better and advance when the average lifespan of a console before failure is 6 months?

Fuck that.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
An act of desperation as the industry moves away from storage media. The anguished flatulence of a dying business model.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
The STACKS and STACKS of shit that we could never get rid of. PS2s were great to stack but when it came to the XB1, that slight curve on the top meant that you now had to put them in plain cardboard boxes which made the real estate that it took up get even more ridiculous, and I can TOTALLY understand the sheer immensity that 60 of them would take up.

My last inventory with that company we counted 837 copies of different COD games for XB360 up to and including MW3. Imagine the slightly smaller, but equally sickening numbers for the PS3 and Wii.

That job really kinda soured me for the whole industry. None of it is fun anymore. New games are all the same and old games have become a business. Why should someone have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a game that came out 20+ years ago?! Why should technology get any better and advance when the average lifespan of a console before failure is 6 months?

Fuck that.

Don't forget the 100,000+ copies of Assassin's Creed for 360.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well, a part of me hopes this will destroy the local ass rape game shop here in town.

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
However, you won't be inundated with the sights and sounds of your favorite retro games when you walk into your local store. Purchases can be made on GameStop's website or through its web-in-store system.

So you'll only really be able to get stuff shipped to you. Huh.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
They shouldn't have been cheapasses and got rid of their older stuff years ago... bet they wished they would have sat on that stock.