Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
This game is definitely SUPER close to metal slug...it actually reminds me of Metal Slug 6 the most. If this game made any serious money i could definitely see Playmore suing these guys, i know i would.

That being said it does look pretty sweet but not $500 sweet. If they released a dreamcast version or Steam version id be all over it.

I really doubt they will make the big bucks. Plus, there have been other Slug style "clones" over the last few years.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I really doubt they will make the big bucks. Plus, there have been other Slug style "clones" over the last few years.

Ya definitely not, with purely a neo geo release they definitely will not. If they made $10 Steam release they would make some decent coin..not GTA V bank but it would be decent. That wont happen though and apparently Neo dev isnt porting games to DC anymore. And as others have noted for the Neo geo release, the supply is far less than the demand. I guess this company hates money or something.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
... the supply is far less than the demand. I guess this company hates money or something.

I think what they do is to keep their games collectible, hence the low numbers. I think this because when they decided to make more carts of the CE edition, they stated that if somebody wanted to return the game because of having increased the quantity, that was OK. IMO, only a collector would do that, so they seem to prefer to have limited quantities instead of making many and flooding the market.

Regards.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Ya definitely not, with purely a neo geo release they definitely will not. If they made $10 Steam release they would make some decent coin..not GTA V bank but it would be decent. That wont happen though and apparently Neo dev isnt porting games to DC anymore. And as others have noted for the Neo geo release, the supply is far less than the demand. I guess this company hates money or something.

They aren't porting to DC anymore? Crap ! is this why I couldn't find Razion anywhere?
Is that an official statement they made?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
They're keeping it "legit" the fuckers know there's a very niche market and they're gonna milk those cows for all they're worth. They could make small limited releases from here on out and still bank due to all the douchebag collectors. How is it that they don't wanna make any more DC releases, doesn't make any sense, they're cheaper to make but the thing is the Neo is sought after by people willing to spend 700 EUR and then milk the extra limited dragon turds edition with a bunch of prints and what have you, it's just garbage on top of garbage, they know this, they know it's bullshit but they know some people here eat bullshit like it's fillet mignon.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
They're keeping it "legit" the fuckers know there's a very niche market and they're gonna milk those cows for all they're worth. They could make small limited releases from here on out and still bank due to all the douchebag collectors. How is it that they don't wanna make any more DC releases, doesn't make any sense, they're cheaper to make but the thing is the Neo is sought after by people willing to spend 700 EUR and then milk the extra limited dragon turds edition with a bunch of prints and what have you, it's just garbage on top of garbage, they know this, they know it's bullshit but they know some people here eat bullshit like it's fillet mignon.

Yup. It's unfortunate because I'd be buying the DC versions of their new games, but I can't stomach the price tag for their MVS carts.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,

I believe the main reason to not consider a Dreamcast port for Razion were the poor sales of Neo XYX for Dreamcast, at least that's what NGDEV says.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
It's a damn shame that they are abandoning the Dreamcast market. It truly is the perfect console for homebrews. Paying Dreamcast prices were the exact value I was getting for the quality of these games. A game has to be a 10 in my book to justify what NGDEV is charging for their Neo carts...and none of them are even close to that number.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
No more DC releases? Well it's safe to say I will never buy their shit again, especially if they are all gonna look like this Kraut Buster trash.

Caplet

Cheng's Errand Boy
That's a real shame. I have most of their stuff on the Dreamcast and was looking forward to Razion at some point.

Oh well, there's plenty else to play.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I think what they do is to keep their games collectible, hence the low numbers. I think this because when they decided to make more carts of the CE edition, they stated that if somebody wanted to return the game because of having increased the quantity, that was OK. IMO, only a collector would do that, so they seem to prefer to have limited quantities instead of making many and flooding the market.

Regards.

Ya that makes sense, they seem to be shelf queens. Pretty much all the Neo Dev releases ive seen for sale are unplayed. Its definitely a different business strategy ...most companies tend to want to sell as much as possible, most really rare games tend to be shit. Theres a reason why theres so few around usually...Neo AES games tend to be an exception to this because of the MVS/Aes thing.

I would be curious what kind of margins theyre making off these games, cant be $50 per cart ..its gotta be pretty high. Making games of AES or MVS carts cant be cheap but i doubt its anywhere near $600. Even with inflation most neo geo games didnt cost $600 on release.

Damn shame about the lack of DC support now...especially for Kraut Buster. Most homebrew releases for the DC are shoot em ups so at least it would be something different.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Actually, guys, they said the REASON they are not making games on the Dreamcast anymore, even though it made them a bit more money than making them for the Neo-Geo, was due to:

1. Recently, more and more of their games are getting torrented, rather than being purchased, and this is happening more and more with each new release, which pisses them off, and quite frankly it would you too.
2. Neo XYX sold like pure fucking shit on the Dreamcast, even though they tried hard to make it as complete as possible.
3. They have a buggy ass dev kit for the Dreamcast, which is why the Neo XYX had so many bugs, and once the games are out on that system, it's a done deal, no updates, unlike the MVS.
4. They have found a new Japanese Publisher to port their games beginning in 2016, to a different Arcade Platform, so the games can stay true to their Neo-Geo quality, and it stops the fucking torrents as well.

The sad part about this is, they also said from this point forward, they will still make great games on Neo-Geo, and build upon what they have so far, as SNK themselves did not begin with games like Garou Mark of the Wolves or Metal Slug 3, so they can make better and better games as time goes on, but, this will come at a cost. That cost is, no more time will be wasted on porting to Dreamcast, and no more reprints will be made after 2015 on the Neo-Geo. So, get the games when they come out on MVS or AES, the first time around, or get ready to buy the ports on another full blown arcade system which will cost just as much, (or more), than the Neo-Geo.

Time to drink a can of man the fuck up juice, and just deal with it, or it's time for you to watch their games on youtube being played by someone else. Face it, fucking torrents killed SNK from wanting to make shit on the Neo-Geo anymore, and the same shit happened with NGDevTeam. Anyone that puts their time and effort into making a game as beautiful as the ones on the Neo-Geo, just to see them get stolen constantly by torrent users would really put the hurt on you as well, and anyone that is realistic would admit this is true. I, myself, would fucking HATE to see my games that I make go to the torrent sites, and watch as all my hard work, time spent, and money spent into making all these games, goes right out the window due to thieves.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, Razion is a Neo-Geo Exclusive!

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Face it, fucking torrents killed SNK from wanting to make shit on the Neo-Geo anymore, and the same shit happened with NGDevTeam. Anyone that puts their time and effort into making a game as beautiful as the ones on the Neo-Geo, just to see them get stolen constantly by torrent users would really put the hurt on you as well, and anyone that is realistic would admit this is true. I, myself, would fucking HATE to see my games that I make go to the torrent sites, and watch as all my hard work, time spent, and money spent into making all these games, goes right out the window due to thieves.

While I agree that piracy was a big problem for SNK back in the day (just look how many bootlegs of their games exist) I also think some countermeasures were possible. Think of it this way: the CPS2 hardware is similar in horsepower to the Neo, maybe even less powerful, and it also has great games, but due to the encryption no boots were made AFAIK. Even to this day, some parts of it (QSound) are not 100% understood, proof is that MAME does say tha sound in CPS2 is not complete. So if SNK had come with something similar, they would have been able to stop piracy. To be fair, they tried with later games, but it was too little, too late, IMO.

Regards.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
While I agree that piracy was a big problem for SNK back in the day (just look how many bootlegs of their games exist) I also think some countermeasures were possible. Think of it this way: the CPS2 hardware is similar in horsepower to the Neo, maybe even less powerful, and it also has great games, but due to the encryption no boots were made AFAIK. Even to this day, some parts of it (QSound) are not 100% understood, proof is that MAME does say tha sound in CPS2 is not complete. So if SNK had come with something similar, they would have been able to stop piracy. To be fair, they tried with later games, but it was too little, too late, IMO.

Regards.

The main problem concerning piracy protection on the Neo Geo is the base system itself lacks any form of protection. Any attempts to thwart piracy were using tacked on encryption inside each cartridge. As evident from history, this method was easily circumvented. Perhaps in 1990, SNK/ADK didn't think the Neo Geo would go on for as long as it did.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor

Regards.

All of what Fakk2 & Aha2940 makes sense to me about NG Dev not wanting the amount of piracy they are seeing on the DC ports but as you pointed out there are tons of MVS bootlegs out there so aren't the NG Dev MVS titles subject to Bootlegs as well? Im new to the MVS owning so bare with me if I'm totally wrong.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
All of what Fakk2 & Aha2940 makes sense to me about NG Dev not wanting the amount of piracy they are seeing on the DC ports but as you pointed out there are tons of MVS bootlegs out there so aren't the NG Dev MVS titles subject to Bootlegs as well? Im new to the MVS owning so bare with me if I'm totally wrong.

Haven't seen any boots besides the original Last Hope, but that is a unique case due to the original being made the same way that many conversion are made.

I am quite curious to find out how the Neo Geo version may differ from the supposed new platform arcade release... I mean, since I plan on playing it in a cab, I am wondering if there will be any prons/cons on choosing one version over the other.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Actually, guys, they said the REASON they are not making games on the Dreamcast anymore, even though it made them a bit more money than making them for the Neo-Geo, was due to:

1. Recently, more and more of their games are getting torrented, rather than being purchased, and this is happening more and more with each new release, which pisses them off, and quite frankly it would you too.
2. Neo XYX sold like pure fucking shit on the Dreamcast, even though they tried hard to make it as complete as possible.
3. They have a buggy ass dev kit for the Dreamcast, which is why the Neo XYX had so many bugs, and once the games are out on that system, it's a done deal, no updates, unlike the MVS.
4. They have found a new Japanese Publisher to port their games beginning in 2016, to a different Arcade Platform, so the games can stay true to their Neo-Geo quality, and it stops the fucking torrents as well.

The sad part about this is, they also said from this point forward, they will still make great games on Neo-Geo, and build upon what they have so far, as SNK themselves did not begin with games like Garou Mark of the Wolves or Metal Slug 3, so they can make better and better games as time goes on, but, this will come at a cost. That cost is, no more time will be wasted on porting to Dreamcast, and no more reprints will be made after 2015 on the Neo-Geo. So, get the games when they come out on MVS or AES, the first time around, or get ready to buy the ports on another full blown arcade system which will cost just as much, (or more), than the Neo-Geo.

Time to drink a can of man the fuck up juice, and just deal with it, or it's time for you to watch their games on youtube being played by someone else. Face it, fucking torrents killed SNK from wanting to make shit on the Neo-Geo anymore, and the same shit happened with NGDevTeam. Anyone that puts their time and effort into making a game as beautiful as the ones on the Neo-Geo, just to see them get stolen constantly by torrent users would really put the hurt on you as well, and anyone that is realistic would admit this is true. I, myself, would fucking HATE to see my games that I make go to the torrent sites, and watch as all my hard work, time spent, and money spent into making all these games, goes right out the window due to thieves.

Enjoy that kool-aid.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
If it was really about making profit they would push the games to Steam. At realistic prices they would make more money than they have done from carts and DC sales. From there you publish to LIVE and PSN...

I can understand about piracy affecting sales but most DC or Neo Geo owners buy originals, certainly on the DC as the games aren't expensive. I downloaded Fast Striker, then bought it and want to order reprint on MVS if and when that comes up. Same for Last Hope and Gunlord - waiting to order both on MVS, but I've played DC downloads of both. There's a lot to be said for keeping DC ports coming IMO, downloads do translate to physical purchases. In my mind the problem with Neo XYX is the screen orientation, it doesn't appeal to all, and it's the only neo game I am not fussed about buying. Razion I would buy on the DC in a shot, as I would Kraut Busters. At the end of the day they are going to do what's best for them - it's more a hobby than a business I think.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
If it was really about making profit they would push the games to Steam. At realistic prices they would make more money than they have done from carts and DC sales. From there you publish to LIVE and PSN...

I can understand about piracy affecting sales but most DC or Neo Geo owners buy originals, certainly on the DC as the games aren't expensive. I downloaded Fast Striker, then bought it and want to order reprint on MVS if and when that comes up. Same for Last Hope and Gunlord - waiting to order both on MVS, but I've played DC downloads of both. There's a lot to be said for keeping DC ports coming IMO, downloads do translate to physical purchases. In my mind the problem with Neo XYX is the screen orientation, it doesn't appeal to all, and it's the only neo game I am not fussed about buying. Razion I would buy on the DC in a shot, as I would Kraut Busters. At the end of the day they are going to do what's best for them - it's more a hobby than a business I think.

Is their Neo cart pricing justified ? Im asking here so nobody shoot me. I bought AES games new titles like Last Blade and the Slugs I think only cost me
250 - 325 at release.
I would think the DC versions must be a good profit as Cases and discs don't cost much in bulk. I knew a store in NYC that carried all their DC releases and they always had atleast 2 dozen preorders. I hope they go back to DC releases at some point, maybe do 2 games to a disc release.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I think they are expensive, but then again I imagine them not being that cheap to manufacture, assemble, test etc. Not to mention the costs involved to develop them - music, sound, graphics, code etc. I guess if it was a bigger market (like the Dreamcast) then the price could come down a lot. That is the mystery for me though - because they could also reduce the cost by selling 2 or 3 times as many copies. I am pretty sure if the price was 40% less they would sell twice as many or maybe 3 times as many.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
But where's the mystery in that? Sure they could do that, but they prefer to cater to this extreme niché market instead. If I was in creating games I'd do it the same way...tiny print runs and games therefore remain highly sought after.
It's not always about maximum profit (although I'm sure they make a good dime on their releases, but in my opinion it's justified (not debating the 500 bucks price point but the fact that they usually make good games and should earn some money for it))

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
But where's the mystery in that? Sure they could do that, but they prefer to cater to this extreme niché market instead. If I was in creating games I'd do it the same way...tiny print runs and games therefore remain highly sought after.
It's not always about maximum profit (although I'm sure they make a good dime on their releases, but in my opinion it's justified (not debating the 500 bucks price point but the fact that they usually make good games and should earn some money for it))

I can understand that (I make small run/print items) , But if they made say even 100 more copies wouldn't that lower the tag and still keep it Niche' ? just fishing here

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I can understand that (I make small run/print items) , But if they made say even 100 more copies wouldn't that lower the tag and still keep it Niche' ? just fishing here

Well, yeah, that may be true. Since they upped the "Kraut Buster" CEs maybe there will be a couple of dozen more LEs as well this time around. Would sure be nice.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Quote from their FAQ on Kraut Busters:

Reprint Shedule

NEO·GEO MVS: none (out of print as of 2016)
NEO·GEO AES CE: none
NEO·GEO AES RE: TBD

Since they are talking about a "Regular Edition" with a TBD reprint I assume there will be no limited edition for the AES version except for the CE. So I'm hoping for some more copies of the RE too.