To buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups, what do you think?

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
How good idea is to buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups? And if you had to buy one, wich pew-pews would you recommend?

It's retailing for about 250€. I've never considered to buy one til today, but you never know.

This would be a 2015 buy, I don't know if that blue edition is the last one, or if it is reliable hardware-wise...

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I have a JP 250GB 360 S and it has had zero issues for 4 years now. Stay away from the original non slim designs, period.

Whether its worth it or not is your call.

XiTaU

n00b
if you like cave games it is 100% worth it
currently i have a 360 hooked up to a cab just to play cave games and a few other tate shooters.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
And is it a good/better idea to get a japanese unit instead of a PAL territory one?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't know anything about Euro region, but there aren't a whole lot of games that are region locked between Japan and the US territories. However, most Cave shooters are region locked. You can buy a Japanese 360 and still play most US games.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I have a JP 250GB 360 S and it has had zero issues for 4 years now. Stay away from the original non slim designs, period.

Whether its worth it or not is your call.

This.

It's worth it for the cave games alone; dem PCBs are rediculoid expensive.

So much good stuff on xbla too; Strania, R•Type dimensions, Omega 5ive, Gyruss.

Lots of non cave Shooties too-Raiden collection, Raiden IV, Bullet Soul...I know I'm forgetting some.

USA region machines are $125 @ gamestop. Totally worth it to have two 360s.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
There are over 30 disc based shmups for the Japanese 360 (not counting random company compilations that have a few shmups on the side). Raiden fighters aces is the most notorious one that missed Europe, as it kept missing release dates and just never got released. There's a lot more than just Cave games.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I keep thinking about doing the same. Definitely worth the extra for a Japanese console imo, you don't want to miss out on the exclusives.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I keep thinking about doing the same. Definitely worth the extra for a Japanese console imo, you don't want to miss out on the exclusives.

Not really .. You can jailbreak xbox 360 in about 30 minutes ... and get all them expensive shooters for nothing from the net .. also play some emulators.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Not really .. You can jailbreak xbox 360 in about 30 minutes ... and get all them expensive shooters for nothing from the net .. also play some emulators.

I'm guessing if he is asking the question then he wants to start a collection and not play copies :/

chrd

n00b
How good idea is to buy a Xbox 360 just for the shoot'em ups? And if you had to buy one, wich pew-pews would you recommend?

It's retailing for about 250€. I've never considered to buy one til today, but you never know.

This would be a 2015 buy, I don't know if that blue edition is the last one, or if it is reliable hardware-wise...

I think it is worth getting one for all the nice Cave titles. The "Jasper" motherboards are deemed less prone to failure if I recall correctly.

I would certainly not pay 250 euro for a new one at this point though, why not buy a second hand one?

If I'm not mistaken user fatson has one for sale for 100 euro (minus shipping, including five games). It's listed on another forum, but you could try messaging him here about it.

It is a great idea.
Grab a Japanese xbox360 so you can enjoy exclusives they have.
Ketsui was the arm twister that made my mind up for me.
A Used console will free up more money for games like Under Defeat HD.
Stick to the Slim design for reliability.
If your collecting as well as playing, The cave Shooting Collection is a nice addition to any collection.
Bundled with an install disc, it has every title update, downloadable content, and extra items like themes.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
^+1 The cave shooting collection is an insanely good deal if you can find it for close to retail. The second release “the end” also includes Saidaioujou. Sadly, you will still have to buy DDP-DOJ and Ketsui separately because they weren’t published by CAVE.

Don’t forget about the piles of other good shmups on the system. There are some nice compilations like Raiden Fighters Aces, Triangle Service double pack, Qute double pack (Eschatos & Ginga Force), and Milestone comp “Sakura Flamingos” (sadly no Tate mode on 3 of the games that could utilize it).

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Unrelated question, but would one who committed such a heinous action be able to acquire the XBLA version of MVC2 and play it online, even though it is no longer available for purchase on XBLA?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wish I had waited to get my jp360, I got mine before the slims came out. My jp360 is so old that it doesn't even support HDMI but it came with a JPRGB cable, not that I use that thing anyway.

360 is one of the best consoles ever hands down. Way too much good shit on it to not think of it as a top contender for best console ever.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
What are the benefits/downsides to getting a JP 360 other than the cave disc based shooters? I'm wanting to get a dedicated 360 for my cab, but I was really only planning on playing downloadable titles on it because I don't want to have to swap out discs all the time. Would having a JP box change what XBLA games I could access? Or is XBLA not region locked?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
What are the benefits/downsides to getting a JP 360 other than the cave disc based shooters? I'm wanting to get a dedicated 360 for my cab, but I was really only planning on playing downloadable titles on it because I don't want to have to swap out discs all the time. Would having a JP box change what XBLA games I could access? Or is XBLA not region locked?

I'm curious about this as well - do people typically figure out how to purchase the games on the Japanese XBLA, or, um... install the games that were not physically released with 'other methods?'

Ketsui was the arm twister that made my mind up for me.

Is Ketsui much better on the 360 vs the PS3 release or something?

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm curious about this as well - do people typically figure out how to purchase the games on the Japanese XBLA, or, um... install the games that were not physically released with 'other methods?'

Beats me. I've never used xbox live before.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I considered it for Raiden IV and maybe Akai Katana (looks stupid, but the gameplay looked alright). I think I'm fine sticking with Raiden 1, 2, and 3 though and skipping the 360 altogether.