Best/Favorite MVS board

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So here's a question whats your favorite MVS board and why.

I've owned the 6 slot (awesome, but died on me), the 2 slot, and the MV1F.

MV1F is cool for the controller ports and socketed bios. Meanwhile the 2 slot seems reliable compared to the 6 slot, but the best part is the memory card slot. The 2 slot gets the most playtime because I can replay difficult levels and practice on games where I have trouble. I got the MV1F just to play Neo XYX on my vert cab.

I got an MV1FZ on the way (would like to run Neo games on all 3 of my cabs) :D This one seems like a very space efficient design.

Just curious what you guys prefer and why. Please dont say you like the original giant one because it doubles as a skateboard or whatever haha

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I really like the MV1C, because:

1. It's the smallest one (AFAIK)
2. It's the only 1-slot top loader one
3. Easiest to consolize (Omega kit)
4. option to have a UniBIOS only or an internal memory card (you have to solder, but they are nice options)

Regards.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've only owned one, an MV-1A. It's fairly reliable and the socketed bios made life easy with unibios options. And its jamma, so it can be used in a lot of different situations.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I really like the MV1C, because:

1. It's the smallest one (AFAIK)
2. It's the only 1-slot top loader one
3. Easiest to consolize (Omega kit)
4. option to have a UniBIOS only or an internal memory card (you have to solder, but they are nice options)

Regards.

MV1B is smaller but I'd rather have a C for the reasons you stated. Most of the 1/2 slots are good but 4 and 6 slots are a PITA/unreliable in my experience.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I've only owned one, an MV-1A. It's fairly reliable and the socketed bios made life easy with unibios options. And its jamma, so it can be used in a lot of different situations.

IIRC all the 1-slots are JAMMA. Only the 2, 4 and 6 slots have slightly different pinout on the JAMMA edge, but there are converters.

Regards.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Got a 4-slot. Aside from that NG: DEV games don't want to be in the board with TSS at the same time, it's actually quite reliable.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
2slot all the way.
Memory card reader, stereo sound with nice jacks, reliable as hell (also top loading ^^), comes with an enclosure, socketed bios, joystick ports...

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Got a 4-slot. Aside from that NG: DEV games don't want to be in the board with TSS at the same time, it's actually quite reliable.

I would like to try a 4 slot at some point, the 6 slot was cool... but man, if that thing stops working, its not gonna be a good day.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I would like to try a 4 slot at some point, the 6 slot was cool... but man, if that thing stops working, its not gonna be a good day.

What happened to your 6-slot? they are pretty expensive, you sure it's not worth fixing it?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
2slot all the way.
Memory card reader, stereo sound with nice jacks, reliable as hell (also top loading ^^), comes with an enclosure, socketed bios, joystick ports...

I agree with xsq.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
What happened to your 6-slot? they are pretty expensive, you sure it's not worth fixing it?

I think the top board got some broken traces from the flex created by inserting and removing carts. I was guilty of occasionally throwing boots on there, which had thicker pcbs and made the inserting and removing more difficult. That said, the broken traces were not 100 percent broken, because the board booted up fine, but after the board warmed up and it expanded the board would stop working.

Sold it on the forums for almost what it cost to ship I think haha. Pretty sure the bottom board was fine, but I would have needed another 6 slot to test that theory, so got a 2 slot instead.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I am between the MV-1FZ(S) and MV-1C. I like that the 1C is so compact and top-loading, but the 1FZ gives enough room to install controller ports on the front, and AV I/O and power on the side for console use, while the JAMMA connector can be left intact. I think it looks a little niftier with the shape it's in, but the MV-1B might just be an improvement on that design. The 1C is unfortunately not socketed, but the neobiosmasta is not expensive so it helps.

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
2slot all the way.

Agreed.

It can be easily transformed into a consolized unit without too much effort and money. Besides, the metal case helps a lot protecting the PCB.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I prefer the four slot boards. Easy to work on, reliable, and doesn't use those pesky NEO-257 chip that like to fail, leaving you with lines through graphics on the screen.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I am a bit mixed. I like the 4-slot in a cabinet for having some variety while I play (without a multicart), but the 2-slot definitely seems to be a bit more reliable.

As far as the single slots go, I prefer the MVS-1B. Super small, easy to drop into a cabinet.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I prefer the four slot boards. Easy to work on, reliable, and doesn't use those pesky NEO-257 chip that like to fail, leaving you with lines through graphics on the screen.

My MVS 4-slot (oldest revision) has lines through the graphics on slot 2. Any suggestions on what to look for? The top board is full of discrete logic chips.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
2slot all the way.

This.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I have a 2 slot that I got because I wanted a CMVS, the only drawback is that the darn thing is huge. I love everything else about it.

The mv1c is great for custom case projects.

I have an mv1fz that only works when I place a gallon of water on top of it lol

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I love my MV-FS1. stereo off the header, and joystick ports. No memory card support is a little sad, but I have been told about a possibility from a certain someone. Just the task is a little daunting to me. The board is a little large, but still rock solid.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Anything with gold mesh:mr_t:
20141208_233209_zps4xh2t3y2.jpg