PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I trucked right through it the first time I played it. Easier than a volunteer hooker. But it's a beautiful game, I think the effects and atmosphere is what makes me come back to it.

Oh yeah, I liked it overall, a pity the difficulty (lack of). Sound effects are really nice and animations are awesome. Artwork is really nice too.

Ren-chan

GO FOR THE ONE LIFE CLEAR THEN

REN-CHAN GHOSTED ME

I actually finished the game without being killed once... the dash-slide helped a lot thou.

Edit:
No clue about the continues either. Same as for magic lol.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Cool. Did you start using Yellow + Yellow + green?

I've never thought of Kaze Kiri as any easier than the average PC-Engine title. Most console games are easy, so what's the problem? Sometimes a relaxing, low effort romp of a game can scratch a certain itch. I appreciate the games that can fill that role.

One could always try to 1 life clear it. I'm assuming everyone saying how easy it is has cleared it without continuing (I don't remember if you can continue actually).
Yes, I did find that to be the weapon of choice. I remember running into it the first play through but kept switching and the game clicked with me when I started spamming bombs regardless of combinations, I was just using the bombs right before picking a new color orb, very cool. Thanks for the tip though, once I stuck to it I got much farther than before, if I get into it I might be able to clear it. It's kinda like Blazing Lazers though, it's pretty easy until way later and then it gets pretty rough...remember I'm a mediocre pilot, I need more training...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Yes, I did find that to be the weapon of choice. I remember running into it the first play through but kept switching and the game clicked with me when I started spamming bombs regardless of combinations, I was just using the bombs right before picking a new color orb, very cool. Thanks for the tip though, once I stuck to it I got much farther than before, if I get into it I might be able to clear it. It's kinda like Blazing Lazers though, it's pretty easy until way later and then it gets pretty rough...remember I'm a mediocre pilot, I need more training...

Image Fight II gave me stress headaches. Good luck with that one.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I actually finished the game without being killed once... the dash-slide helped a lot thou.

Edit:
No clue about the continues either. Same as for magic lol.

Oh alright then.

I don't remember the command for the "magic" fire move. It might be :down: + select

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If you're going to get a beat em up on PC Engine, Double Dragon 2 is the one you want.

Spriggan is awesome, but Kaze Kiri I thought was kind of lame. You can do a lot of moves with those 2 buttons, but it just felt rushed. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Ren-chan

Double Dragon is one of those pending games I got for the system... unfortunately Ebay is out of the equation. Super expensive over there.

Ren-chan

Not that you get hit on this game much... Just the bosses and that's why you dash-slide, to push them and not being hit either.
Dunno... I didn't have troubles finishing the game on the 1st try.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The reason I got Kaze Kiri was the mobility of the character and the personality of the game, I felt that this is something that could have taken off as the last "one plane brawlers" didn't evolve too far from the typical brawling formula. Having the One Plane only allows for more varied commands, not saying it's better though, I don't think so but it's a nice sub-genre if anything. I will explore deep into Kaze Kiri and see if I can get the juice out of it.

I was just looking for Spriggan but I had the chance of getting both for a very decent deal, I couldn't pass it up.

I may get the PInk/purple Ninja dude as well, that game is genius, takes me back, imagine if I have found this game when I was a kid...it would have connected me to those days when...
ninja_squad4.jpg

Ren-chan

Using special attacks cost energy, too. Of course, you don't have to use them, but why limit yourself within an already limited gameplay and regenerating energy?

Unfortunately I was using a copy, not the original... I didn't even know there were special attacks since I had no instruction manual to check lol.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Double Dragon is one of those pending games I got for the system... unfortunately Ebay is out of the equation. Super expensive over there.

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari(River City Ransom) is another good one.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I finally dug out the Turbo Everdrive from a box and got it all set up over the weekend, what an amazing little unit, it works flawlessly. Coryoon is a great little shooter!

Ren-chan

Yeah it seems like any PCE game worth playing is eeking it's way out of my price range. Ah well, Everdrive and CD-Rs 4 lyfe.

Yeah I guess that's the choice if you want to play the games on the system.... a pity those prices are for almost any good PCE game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, Everdrive is the greatest thing ever, CD-Rs too! Before the Duo all I had was emulation and it's cool but playing the console is a lot of fun, looks insane on RGB, I also love the fact that I can use my booties on the actual console that I've been playing for years on Magic Engine. I did Manage to get Rondo of Blood way back, I know I didn't have the system but I was happy playing it on MAgic Engine. SO glad I got it when I did. Just recently I got me a Winds of Thunder, Gradius II and I got a couple more coming this way, I did pay more than I wanted to but not by much, maybe 5 or 15 bucks over here and there so it's not too bad. I still want a couple cards but damn, so expensive, right now all I've been getting are discs 'cause I have the everdrive. I'm always rather cautios the boots might compromise the unit, I burned them prolly 10 years ago?

Anyway...yeah, everyone that has this should get an Everdrive, big time!

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah, Everdrive is the greatest thing ever, CD-Rs too! Before the Duo all I had was emulation and it's cool but playing the console is a lot of fun, looks insane on RGB, I also love the fact that I can use my booties on the actual console that I've been playing for years on Magic Engine. I did Manage to get Rondo of Blood way back, I know I didn't have the system but I was happy playing it on MAgic Engine. SO glad I got it when I did. Just recently I got me a Winds of Thunder, Gradius II and I got a couple more coming this way, I did pay more than I wanted to but not by much, maybe 5 or 15 bucks over here and there so it's not too bad. I still want a couple cards but damn, so expensive, right now all I've been getting are discs 'cause I have the everdrive. I'm always rather cautios the boots might compromise the unit, I burned them prolly 10 years ago?

Anyway...yeah, everyone that has this should get an Everdrive, big time!

Ever drive is must. And first thing you buy. Thats the only way you're playing magical chase on console.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Sure it's possible to play Magical Chase on console. It only costs the same as a late AES game:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magical-Chase-Turbo-Grafx-16-Rare-US-Version-1993-HU-Card-and-Manual-/151971496730?hash=item236235031a:g:c90AAOSwXshWsSkP

I wonder if he'd take fiddty bucks...

Jeez, it's already over $1400 with 5 days to go? It'll probably go for more than even the most expensive CAVE Mega Black Label complete kit and that auction doesn't even have the jewel case (and there's a stamp mark on the front and back of the manual).

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Jeez, it's already over $1400 with 5 days to go? It'll probably go for more than even the most expensive CAVE Mega Black Label complete kit and that auction doesn't even have the jewel case (and there's a stamp mark on the front and back of the manual).

Magical chase never came with jewel case. Just cart, manual, box, and plastic box tray. People are probably happy enough to just get the manual that they will go crazy

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've seen the manual alone go for over $500.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Trying to buy Magical Chase is itself a magical chase.