SVC chaos

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
I've always wondered why there seem to be so many boots of SVC chaos floating around.

Also, if I get myself an original MVS cart, is there an option on unibios to unlock all of the characters?

I've only ever played it on the Xbox, and never really got on with it, but I figure that was mainly because of the pad.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
There are a lot of boots because for the longest time there wasn't an mvs release of it. Even now some people say there never really was. I'm not 100% clear on all of the crap that went down.

As for the unibios I don't think so. All the hidden characters except Serious Mr. Karate, Shin Akuma, Athena, and The Devil Guy (the name escapes me) are unlockable through a code you put in while the random select option is going (by holding start).

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Are you talking unlocking everyone individualy or all at once? I used to own the AES version and the only difference is codes for Serious Mr Karate and Shin Akuma work where the MVS doesn't have a code that works. Athena and Red Armerrer are still locked unless someone found a code in the past 9 years since I sold my AES copy.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Is there a hacked P1 and/or P2 ROM for legit SVC Chaos cart yet?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
o_O ............... What do you mean by P1 and P2? The hacks work fine Plus gives you all the hidden characters with their own icons even compared to having to hold a button down on certain characters like the xbox version requires you to. A lot of people prefer the hacks.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
o_O ............... What do you mean by P1 and P2? The hacks work fine Plus gives you all the hidden characters with their own icons even compared to having to hold a button down on certain characters like the xbox version requires you to. A lot of people prefer the hacks.

I believe he's asking for a hacked P1 or P2 roms that allow to put the hack inside an original cart.

DJ Long Cat

Armored Scrum Object
There are a lot of boots because for the longest time there wasn't an mvs release of it. Even now some people say there never really was. I'm not 100% clear on all of the crap that went down.

Explain, I had a legit kit and now it wasn't legit?

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Is it bad that i am a big street fighter fan but dislike svc?No gun shots to the head please..

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Is it bad that i am a big street fighter fan but dislike svc?No gun shots to the head please..

621394.jpg

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
No actually the majority of Street Fighter Fans that either main Alpha or IV seem to hate SVC. I dunno where you fall, but it's not very suprising if you are one of those fans.

To me SVC feels like a mix of Fatal Fury Special (without the line shifting I know) and Street Fighter II.

BTW thanks Kid Panda never understood the whole legit SVC cart deal.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
... To me SVC feels like a mix of Fatal Fury Special (without the line shifting I know) and Street Fighter II. .....

With the Multiple Supers and One Exceed (Death Strike), SvC feels more like a Samurai Showdown IV to me with a bunch of KOF and SF guys.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
SamSho's mechanics are waaay deeper then SVC. A better way of putting it would be if FFS and SFII evolved rather then both companies going with KOF and Alpha as their go to styles. Though there is no real it plays like blah game with SVC.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I actually own the SVC Chaos PLUS boot with all the characters unlocked. But with a Unibios and set to AES mode you will be fine. Their is an official MVS and Home Console release. The MVS release is not to that expensive. SVC is one of the few MVS games where the boot makes sense.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I believe he's asking for a hacked P1 or P2 roms that allow to put the hack inside an original cart.

In every Neo Geo cart, there is a P1 ROM, meaning Program. It contains 68000 code for the game engine and usually where things like hidden characters can be unlocked. SVC Chaos (like many big Neo Geo games) has two P ROMs, P1 and P2 in this case. The character select code could be in either of them, so I say P1 and/or P2.

How come there isn't a P1 and/or P2 ROM hack for original SVC Chaos carts to make the hidden characters selectable?

Explain, I had a legit kit and now it wasn't legit?

Waaaaay back when SVC Chaos was first announced and released, all that was available was the AES version and a dedicated JAMMA release. An MVS cartridge was nowhere to be found for a little while, so boots were what most people got if they didn't want the JAMMA version. Metal Slug 5 and KOF 2003 similarly had JAMMA versions, but they had legitimate cartridges sooner.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
How come there isn't a P1 and/or P2 ROM hack for original SVC Chaos carts to make the hidden characters selectable?

Maybe it has something to do with the "encryption" on the P ROMs? or the fact that there are no (AFAIK) 64Mb EPROMs?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
No game uses P ROMs that big. It's only the C ROMs that are usually 64Mbit. It could be the encryption for sure, but that's usually more a concern with trying to bootleg the game, not necessarily hack it and then put the ROMs on the original protected boards.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ I'm kinda confused as to why you would want to hack the original cart? Considering the boots are cheap if you want the characters get the boot. Personally the ones not selectable on the MVS is a good thing since they are broken as all hell and made the xbox version a nightmare to play online. Only hidden character that doesn't have bad glitches/overpowered crazyness is Dan and he is super easy to unlock. So to me the original version is good if you want to be competitive and the boot for f'n around.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wasn't there a rumor (that Kid Panda stirred?) about the boot(s) also having some fixes? I think balance, input and hitboxes were thrown around...

I don't know about the differences between "Plus" (red/blue?) and "Super Plus", but there seem to be some also.

HALP!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
No game uses P ROMs that big. It's only the C ROMs that are usually 64Mbit. It could be the encryption for sure, but that's usually more a concern with trying to bootleg the game, not necessarily hack it and then put the ROMs on the original protected boards.

You are right, I got the MAME dump and P ROMS are only 4MB (32Mb).

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So here's a question. How much should I expect to pay for a SVC Plus boot? Are there any differences between a standalone version and the one included in the 161-in-1 cart?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So here's a question. How much should I expect to pay for a SVC Plus boot? Are there any differences between a standalone version and the one included in the 161-in-1 cart?

No more than 35 plus shipping. That's how much mine was.