SNES collectors/players thread

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Post here and talk about your favorite SNES games.

I thought this was a pretty balanced system, with plenty of shooters like Axelay and Aero Fighters, platformers like Mario, and RPGs like 7th Saga and Final Fantasy IV and VI.

Wild Guns was a great Cabal rip off.

What's considered the holy grail of SNES games?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Super Mario World

^ this and Yoshi's Island.

My favorite SNES game is Super Metroid though.

I like the classic SNES shmups like R-Type III, Axelay and Super Aleste as well as the cute ones like the 3 Parodius and the 2 Pocky & Rocky. I use to own a shitload of Super Famicom carts at some point. Great system.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
One favorite game huh? Man, that's tough one. To this day…I consider the SNES to be the best system ever made. Yes, that is my opinion…and has zero value what so ever. I can't list a favorite game so here:

Final Fantasy II, III
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Zelda LttP
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
Castlevania IV
Contra III
Actraiser
Super Star Wars titles
Shadowrun
F-Zero
SMB All-Stars (seriously…one of the the best SNES games made…and one of the most underrated)
TMNT: Turtles in Time
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG

There, there's a few games that many I would consider to be in the "best of all time on any system" list...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Secret of Evermore is criminally underrated, especially by butthurt weeaboos who were mad they didn't get Seiken Densetsu 3.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Secret of Evermore is criminally underrated, especially by butthurt weeaboos who were mad they didn't get Seiken Densetsu 3.

I played that one through way back when…I remember it being pretty solid.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
SNES favourites include Starfox, Super Probotector, Super Aleste, NinjaWarriors, Final Fight 3, Super Metroid, DKC1, Turtles Tourny Fighters, Axelay, Super Castlevania 4, UN Squadron, R-Type 3, Wild Guns.

To mention a few. List is pretty inexhaustible tbh...

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Batman Returns is a pretty awesome beat-em-up that I don't normally see mentioned. Other than that I would just be echoing what others have already said in this thread.

I didn't have a SNES growing up (I was a Sega man) but finally got one in 2004. Couldn't imagine not having one now.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
This system is by far my favorite of all time and the first I ever pre-ordered.

I add the following games to those already not listed,

Demon's Crest
Space Megaforce aka: Super Aleste
Super Turrican

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet

^ Truth. I mean, I did love Secret of Mana, but Evermore was an awesome game. I'm also on the list of SNES being amazing, my library of favorites on this platform is kind of ridiculous. I'll just throw a few out there;

Super Mario World
Super Metroid
A Link To The Past
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Mana
Contra 3
Secret of Evermore
Mega Man X 1,2,3
Final Fantasy III/6
Final Fight 2
Breath of Fire 2
Donkey Kong Country

......and it just goes on like this.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My fav

Super Mario World
Super Punchout
Super Mario All-star
Final Fantasy 2 & 3
Sim City
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Zelda Link to the Past

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Ninja Warriors Again. Just stay far away from the hacked up North America version though.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Didn't Harvest Moon make it's first appearance on SNES? I remember playing that a long time but not beating it. Is it even beatable?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My fav

Super Mario World
Super Punchout
Super Mario All-star
Final Fantasy 2 & 3
Sim City
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Zelda Link to the Past

Funny you'd mention Sim City on the SNES…that was also one of my favorites. As a matter of fact, I own it. I always liked the original SC and for some reason, the SNES version was really enjoyable.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm lucky enough to have the majority of the games I want already, and an ever drive for the rest. Love the system so much and make regular play throughs of super metroid and Zelda.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
One favorite game huh? Man, that's tough one. To this day…I consider the SNES to be the best system ever made. Yes, that is my opinion…and has zero value what so ever. I can't list a favorite game so here:

Final Fantasy II, III
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Zelda LttP
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
Castlevania IV
Contra III
Actraiser
Super Star Wars titles
Shadowrun
F-Zero
SMB All-Stars (seriously…one of the the best SNES games made…and one of the most underrated)
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG

There, there's a few games that many I would consider to be in the "best of all time on any system" list...

I agree with all that list.

For the underrated gems I'd like to add:

Cybernator (man, it was so huge and dramatic...)
Uniracers (surprisingly fast, and one of the first "trick style"games)
Addams Family (finally a good western alternative to JP platforms)

And then all the sufami library of course (Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou, Majuoh, Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius, Doremi Fantasy: Milon no Dokidoki Daibouken, Magical Pop’n...).

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Weird, I've played that game a ton of different times over the years and I've never had my copy glitch out like that.

I think it must vary from console to console. I've tried both my cart, and a ROM on my Everdrive, but have problems with both. But I don't think I have another SNES to test.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The SNES is my favorite and is always hooked up. I've mentioned it before in similar threads, but at least once a year, I will run through all the Mega Man X games (have very fond and emotional memories associated with X 1-4). I completely agree with Shroom about Secret of Evermore; that game is fantastic (hard as fuck, but fantastic) and Square should have let that american team that handled make more games...I still haven't beaten it yet, lol. Square basically sabotaged the game as it was criminally under advertised.
Super Mario World was like magic when it came out, and I loved Mario Paint (set up the VCR with my Mom and recorded all kinds of goofy shit that we made). Chrono Trigger was a magical one for me, and TLoZ:aLttP is still my favorite Zelda game. To this day, I still play a huge amount of Dr.Mario (got the combo cart with Tetris), and would challenge anyone to try to beat me on max settings :D

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I'd have to say Mega man X, Chrono Trigger, and Umihara Kawase are all in my top SNES games.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

This is the fucking 100% truth. SoE was a fucking amazing game. I <3'd that Dog!

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I love this console. I love how most of the games have aged well and still look great today.
My big bro ended up pawing our console when I was like 12-13 so it wasn't until I turned 18 and started working that I tried to get all our old games back and my favorite ones I rented.

To me the holy grail of snes would be EVO the final evolution. I loved playing that game and I am sad its so pricey today.

Apart from that my best list would be:

Marvel War of the Gems
Super Mario RPG
Tetris Attack
Killer Instinct
Megaman X
Demon Crest
Mario World
Yoshi Island
Turtles in Time
Double Dragon 4
Donkey kong Country 1 and 2 ( I did not like the 3rd one)
Mystic Quest
Illusions of Gaia

And Fatal Fury Special, me, my lil bro and my cousin spent so many hours trying to beat Krauser, good times. I still suck at that game. The MVS version is way harder than SNES one.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I love this console. I love how most of the games have aged well and still look great today.
My big bro ended up pawing our console when I was like 12-13 so it wasn't until I turned 18 and started working that I tried to get all our old games back and my favorite ones I rented.

To me the holy grail of snes would be EVO the final evolution. I loved playing that game and I am sad its so pricey today.

Apart from that my best list would be:

Marvel War of the Gems
Super Mario RPG
Tetris Attack
Killer Instinct
Megaman X
Demon Crest
Mario World
Yoshi Island
Turtles in Time
Double Dragon 4
Donkey kong Country 1 and 2 ( I did not like the 3rd one)
Mystic Quest
Illusions of Gaia

And Fatal Fury Special, me, my lil bro and my cousin spent so many hours trying to beat Krauser, good times. I still suck at that game. The MVS version is way harder than SNES one.

On the Illusion of Gaia trail...Soulblazer was another great SNES title.

Some other titles that may have not been ground breaking but I played the hell out of back when they were new:

Final Fight (awesome for 1991)
Smash TV (an amazing port for its time)
Street Fighter II (another near perfect home port)
MK II (again...great port)
NBA JAM (yawn...you get the point, great port for the time)
UN Squadron
Y's III
Earthworm Jim
Batman Returns
Darius Twin
E.D.F
Battletoads
Super Ghouls and Ghosts (I think that was the name)

I'll plop down some more as I think of them...