How often do you trim the fat?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I just recently moved and had to sell a lot of my games that I knew deep down I would never play or play again. Condensed my collection by a good margin and made me appreciate the games I kept much more while taming the growing amount of games around the game room.

Wanted to know how often everyone else condensed their hoard, if ever, and why.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm pretty much as condensed as much as I would want. i try to only buy stuff I really want and if I don't like it anymore I get rid of it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sell sell sell! I've realized I have too much crap and want to get rid of 90% of it, just been lazy. I did clean out most of my mvs carts, and I'm happier having a smaller collection. I need to work on purging more.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
There is never a reason to own more than one copy of the same game.

Loli pls.

Sure there is, when you're trying to inflate the value of a game you hoard as many as you can and then put in your piece list that it is super rare and charge 3x more for it. There's a certain guy that had scooped all of the Willow pcbs a couple of years ago and all of a sudden on his "official" price list the game tripled in value.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Sure there is, when you're trying to inflate the value of a game you hoard as many as you can and then put in your piece list that it is super rare and charge 3x more for it. There's a certain guy that had scooped all of the Willow pcbs a couple of years ago and all of a sudden on his "official" price list the game tripled in value.

So rude. :keke:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

"I'm doing it for the community"
bookcase.png

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Dont trim often enough. Really, there's not much point to it, if the fat means the really lo-fi games nobody wants. May as well donate them to Goodwill (which is what I did).

Part of me wants to do one great purge just to make each collection a pure I want to play it all set. That way you don't get stuck having to move all that shit ever again.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
It's been nice to trim out a lot of it (either by choice or not) and having a much smaller collection now of regularly played games. Good to get rid of stuff that you don't care about or play anymore than someone else might be into. I need to do another one soon if people have an interest in the PS2 fighting games.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I trimmed my collection down to current gen stuff a decade ago.

I've been all-digital for about four years now, leaving nothing to trim sans hardware.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I sold off a vast majority of my stuff. It's way too long of a story to talk about here but I was surround gin myself with shit in many aspects of my life, I needed a purge badly.

I kept a ton of games on a few system I truly love…the rest, I sold.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Still in the process of going through my backlog. Instead of selling old, I simply stop buying anything new until I'm done with it.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I spent the first 30 years of my life hoarding every video game item i got. Then something clicked and i thought what am i doing? Sell sell sell now. At least once a year i look at what i have and if it's not getting used it is gone. I find i never really go back to games these days once i am done with them so no point keeping it taking up space.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I haven't hit that point in life to "trim the fat", but I've been keeping everything that I buy. Besides my collection page, my collection has been growing more and more, and hasn't stopped since. Most of the games that I have have been quality games, but if I sold my other bs games, they would only pull like $2-5 bucks.

The reason why I don't want to sell is because I'll be the type to regret letting something go. Either way, with what I've got, I feel content.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I take care in keeping my games library as compact as possible, that's why I always chose my purchases very carefully from day one. Nothing worse than having a busload of titles you can't get rid of anymore because the expense for selling them would be higher than the money you get. That's why I gave the few games I let go over the years away for free, with the exception of a Neo homecart (RotD) and a handful of MD games.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I know some people that have a policy to never get rid of any game, no matter what, unless they can find a replacement.

When your collection is so big (ie. thousands of games) and you have to get a storage facility, it's time to start reconsidering things...

Jon

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've purged my collection 4 times now. This last time as I was moving and realized more then half of my belongings we're boxes of games...I decided I couldn't do it anymore. I replaced all my carts with ever drives, so hopefully I will avoid hoarding carts again.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
I practically stopped buying about two years ago which is a good start, don´t have several hundreds of games but I do have some fat to trim .

Baby steps though ...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Here's 4 pictures of my last purge from 2 months ago...it started slowly with the first picture...then over the course of a full week it just snowballed and I was throwing all kinds of stuff out that I just had tucked away in drawers, closets and shelves...maaaaan it felt awesome to streamline everything!!!

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Here's 4 pictures of my last purge from 2 months ago...it started slowly with the first picture...then over the course of a full week it just snowballed and I was throwing all kinds of stuff out that I just had tucked away in drawers, closets and shelves...maaaaan it felt awesome to streamline everything!!!

Lot of stuff.

The one of two times I met with the head of Assembler forums, I asked him "when is it time to invest in a storage locker?"

Answer: "When you have to take boxes off of your bed to go to sleep at night."

Looks like you were pretty damn close...LOL.

Jon

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
How does the old saying go: The things you own end up owning you.