Favorite console revision, redesign, reissue or alternate version?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Of all of the myriad of revisions and alternate versions of popular consoles released over the years that either add or remove features from the original versions (NES TVs, smaller Playstations, rebranded Sega consoles, third party stuff like the Famicom Titler and the Panasonic Q, even prototype dev systems) which one is your favorite?

Mine is most definitely the Twin Famicom.

Twinfamicom.jpg

I don't even know exactly what it is, but there's something so cool and solid about the design of this system! Especially compared to its little brother, which is nice but always felt somewhat cluttered and plasticky to me.

I feel like it's aged a lot better than many of it's contemporaries as well. It looks dated yeah, but it looks dated in an awesome way! like VW microbuses. It's just an interesting system overall.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
For me, its the Super Famicom. I think its the best looking retro system.

Technically its an "aternate version" since I'm stateside and we got that hideous super nintendo.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Super Nintendo is not and has never been hideous.

As for the OP, I think the Sega CD 2 is a lot better than the original.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Technically its an "aternate version" since I'm stateside and we got that hideous super nintendo.

While I don't think the SNES is hideous per se, I'm totally with you on a the Super Famicom, it's such a great looking system. I particularly love the bright four color logo and matching buttons on top of the all grey console, as well as the one upside down controller port to make the system front more symmetrical (the snes had that bit too, but it complimented the body of the superfam a lot better.)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I like the newer, late model NES (the top-loading one). It's so much more reliable than the original VCR-like model, where you often had to resort to all sorts of trickery and black magic just to get your NES cartridges to boot (my friend used to always wedge another cartridge in there, or some other thin item, on top of the one he wanted to play), and I also enjoy its more comfortable controller shape, which is more like the rounded SNES pads. Visually, the design is kind of crap-looking, but all I care about is the functionality. I think it's missing some of the ports the original has, but, as most of those are for peripherals nobody has or uses anyway, it's no big loss.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I love the design of the smaller PSOne. So convenient with the stature and the ability to have a small screen on it for portable awesomeness.

Also, the GBA SP backlit version. Best way to portable play GB hands down

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

The "hideous" super nintendo is the revision.

Disqualified!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I love the design of the smaller PSOne. So convenient with the stature and the ability to have a small screen on it for portable awesomeness.

Also, the GBA SP backlit version. Best way to portable play GB hands down
Fuck that noise. The backlit SP has wicked ghosting due to a lower response time screen, and the colors are way oversaturated.

The Micro's image quality absolutely destroys any other GBA model. Higher pixel density, no ghosting, no oversaturated colors like the backlit and no washed out colors like the frontlit.

My votes:
1. Game Boy micro (only problem is no GB/GBC games, but I have plenty of systems that can play those)
2. Nintendo DSi (like the backlit SP, the DS Lite has a low response time screen. And the original DS model is frontlit, so the DSi wins by default)
3. Xbox 360 S (because it actually fucking works!)
4. PSP-2000 (faster load times, more ergonomic, better screen, more durable than its predecessor)
5. Atari Lynx II (much smaller and more portable, more durable and reliable, a little better on batteries)

Worst redesigns:
1. toploading NES. Fuck RF only output
2. Genesis model 3
3. Backlit SP (see above)
4. PSP Go (Yes, I'd like to pay way more for a PSP that doesn't play all the PSP games, please!)
5. Model 2 SNES. No S-Video=fuck off.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I also agree with ggallegos1 that the GBA SP rules. I don't see the ghosting and oversaturation Famicommander mentioned--if it's there, it's negligible, or perhaps more prevalent with particular games. There are two different brightness levels (I always play on the lower one, as it conserves battery power), which might also be a contributing factor.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The Anal-Log NT fullfills all my pretentious hipster needs.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I own one of those red Famicom Twins (AN-500R) above and it's amazing.

1. PSX (the DVR PS1)
2. Panasonic Q
3. DS Lite

Worst:
1.Supergrafx

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The backlit SP has wicked ghosting due to a lower response time screen, and the colors are way oversaturated.

Worst redesigns:

2. Genesis model 3

I haven't noticed ghosting with the backlit GBA's. I have an original GBA with a backlit SP screen and it's TITS.

I put the Genesis 3 tied with the Model 2... better sound than the Model 2, but no RGB out. Fuck 'em both (unless they're modded).

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I haven't noticed ghosting with the backlit GBA's. I have an original GBA with a backlit SP screen and it's TITS.
Put it side by side with a micro and tell me there's no ghosting or oversaturation.

I have every model of the Game Boy (GB, GBP, GBC, Game Boy Light, GBA, SP MK1, micro, SP MK2, Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player) and the micro is head and shoulders above any other Game Boy.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Put it side by side with a micro and tell me there's no ghosting or oversaturation.

I have every model of the Game Boy (GB, GBP, GBC, Game Boy Light, GBA, SP MK1, micro, SP MK2, Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player) and the micro is head and shoulders above any other Game Boy.

I'm a picky bastard when it comes to video quality, so if I don't notice ghosting then it's not bad. I had a vizio tv that would ghost and it was unberable where others said it was a good TV with good PQ. I begged to differ.

And oversaturation? The graphics aren't realistic enough to worry about that. It's all bright and colorful stuff anyways. Just use the low setting if it's too bright.

Only a carnie could play the micro comfortably... but yeah that screen is sharper too due to the screen being smaller with higher pixel density. I just wish it wasn't a hand cramper. Same thing with the PSP Go.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I actually dig the Micro quite a bit! It does get annoying to use after a while though, and even though it's small its such an odd shape that it's weird to carry with you. Overall I think it's awesome but impractical compared to the excellent SP (mine was the front lit one, so I can't say anything about ghosting) which was my constant companion for a long long time.

Special handheld shout out from me to both XL DS models, my reaction to the first was "WHY!?" but once I got my hands on it it won me over completely. And the 3DS XL is such a step up from the regular 3DS it's insane, one of the best feeling handhelds ever made if you ask me.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
this thread is about to be bombarded with Wondermega.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
For me, it's all about what looks nice in my "adult" living room. :keke:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Since you mentioned dev consoles, the XNA 360 is about as awesome looking as it gets. Too bad I'll never own one. Would have been cool to see a retail release like it.