Best KOF Game to start out with

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I'm a bit new to neo geo and was wondering, what is the best KOF game to start out with. I've played street fighter 4 and gotten pretty good at it. So what do you guys think? :scratch:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Either, go to the local meets, find out which one everybody likes to play, then get that one.

Or, scour the web for some cool game play videos, and get the one that looks the most fun to play.

---

If I was collecting KOF all over again, I'd get either 98 and 2k2 first cause these were the hardest for me to find.

But, if I was just getting some KOF carts to play, then I'd get '96 & '97 first 'cause I like playing these the most.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Start from the beginning in chronological order. If you play the best ones first, you won't want to try the others.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
and since both of those are Dream Matches, nice big character rosters on both of em :)

A Bigger Roster is not always better, look at MvC2.

I really like the fight engine in '96~'97 and the character designs. Most of the characters are fast, simple, and powerful. Makes for lots of interesting match-ups all around.

The only way to make it more interesting is to figure out a way to add a NO-Team-Edit Option (like in '94). When both players can not edit a team, they are forced to play with characters you normally wouldn't use. But that's another debate. Seems most people like the Team Edit Option though.

Fighting games get boring when people play the same six or eight overpowered charters again and again.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Quit trollin.

I'd say 98 or 2002 as well.

Haha. My honest answer would be '96 then go up to '98. 2002 isn't the best to start with as it goes really deep into a lot of stuff and styles built up over the years that should be experienced in the older (pre-99) games.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You could start with '94. But '95 and '96 are where they start to get better, where you can pick your own team.

In the same boat as you OP. KOF 98 seems to be the easiest to find a copy of and gets pretty solid reviews. I reckon that's the one I'm going to start with and maybe work my way back through some of the earlier and later one's if the series grabs me.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
98 and 2k2 are the only ones people actually play.. so those.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'd definitely start with 96, play it for a while, go on to 97 just for a playthrough then settle on 98, because it's the version that's most likely to be played and re-released in the future.

Go back to 94 and 95 for kicks after you've been playing 98 for a while. 99-2002 are decent, but outside of 2000, they lack the polish. Here's my quick summation of the series:

94 is very slow paced and hard to control. Graphics and sound are great, however.
95 fairs a little better in speed and control. It really feels like a better version of 94, overall.
96 has really tight control, albeit unforgiving. Aesthetics are all there, too. A great starter.
97 takes a considerable nose dive in gameplay. Lots of inconsistencies and hitbox issues. Aesthetics suffer quite a bit too.
98 rights what 97 wronged while both speeding up and tightening up the gameplay. Really great aesthetic choices. It FEELS like you're playing a classic.
99 is lacking in gameplay, lots of weird glitches and hitbox things going on
2000 is polished all around, a great game
2001 is lacking in aesthetics and graphics overall, but the gameplay is fairly solid. Calling in strikers is emphasized here but can be ignored.
2002 is probably the best KOF gameplay wise, but it's also lacking in graphics and sound.
2003 fairs about the same as 1999.

housethemous

New Challenger
Yeah, I'd definitely start with 96, play it for a while, go on to 97 just for a playthrough then settle on 98, because it's the version that's most likely to be played and re-released in the future.

Go back to 94 and 95 for kicks after you've been playing 98 for a while. 99-2002 are decent, but outside of 2000, they lack the polish. Here's my quick summation of the series:

94 is very slow paced and hard to control. Graphics and sound are great, however.
95 fairs a little better in speed and control. It really feels like a better version of 94, overall.
96 has really tight control, albeit unforgiving. Aesthetics are all there, too. A great starter.
97 takes a considerable nose dive in gameplay. Lots of inconsistencies and hitbox issues. Aesthetics suffer quite a bit too.
98 rights what 97 wronged while both speeding up and tightening up the gameplay. Really great aesthetic choices. It FEELS like you're playing a classic.
2001 is lacking in aesthetics and graphics overall, but the gameplay is fairly solid. Calling in strikers is emphasized here but can be ignored.
2002 is probably the best KOF gameplay wise, but it's also lacking in graphics and sound.

This is pretty spot on.
Thanks for your input.

Reigami

n00b
I'd vote 2002. If you started playing and gotten good at Street Fighter, I see no issue with the transition of learning the mechanics of 2002 quickly and excelling in the enjoyment of that as well.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I like 98 because it feels like a modern KOF movement wise but you don't have any overly crazy custom combos to deal with. You get right to the beef of the gameplay fun without worrying about memorizing crazy tag and custom combos. If dropping some hours into training mode doesn't bother you to get those crazy combos down... might as well just jump right into 13, at least a few people play it somewhere in the world...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Doesn't 94 have the worst graphics of all of them (at least in terms of the backgrounds)? SNK made a conscious effort with 95 to improve on the graphics from 94.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member

Do you really believe in yourself ?

No KOF game is slow if you're experienced.
97 - "Nose dive in gameplay" LOL !!! This is where it started to feel like KOF gameplay wise with f+ A / B inputs and combo mechanics.
I don't know what you were thinking when talking about 97 aesthetics... the only thing people can complain about that one is the lack of more single/team BGM's.

They have to be played by order from 94 to 2K. Everything afterwards is skip'able.

And yes, 98 kills everything.