The hardest NES game when you were a kid?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I could always beat battletoads, but I was playing the genesis version (is it easier?)

Could also solo Double Dragon 3 up to the final boss and lose every time. When my brother took p2 the same shit happened only we got there way quicker thanks to that double tornado kick.

On topic, the worst unbeatable games I had was Total Recall and a fucking POS called Cybernoid.

I'm not sure if the Gen version was different...but the NES copy was sadistic. Even in 2 player mode it was insane. To this day, that's one game I still haven't beat...

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Ninja Gaiden I - Never got past stage 2-2 back then.

Battletoads - Couldn't even get past the 2nd or 3rd stages. I don't remember which though.

TMNT - I don't think I've even gotten to the 2nd level back when I was little.

I also had trouble with Mega Man 3, 4, & 6. I eventually finished 3 & managed to get pretty far in 4. Never really made much progress in 6 though.

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'm going to say
Ninja gaiden
ghost n goblins
Predator
TMNT

In no particular order. Stuff of nightmares.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I could always beat battletoads, but I was playing the genesis version (is it easier?)

Must be. I don't know anyone who could beat it on the NES. I think in two player I got to the beginning of the last stage (I think) one time, but that was the absolute record. That game was impossibly hard.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Mission Impossible lives up to the name. :)

Bayou Billy is a good candidate, although I've never played it for more than 5 minutes due to getting so annoyed with the controls.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I know Friday the 13th was a piece of shit, but has any human being ever beaten it? I remember as a kid I made it all.the way to the fight with Jason's moms head(in direct defiance of god) but that's as far as I ever got.

Ironman

n00b
:Ghost n Goblins:

100%, My parents bought me that thing I remember playing it for about 2 hours and getting so frustrated that I refused to play it after that. My Dad tired it and it was the first time I ever heard him swear. He took it back to the store and demanded a refund for it. The store refused because it was a opened game and he followed up yelling at the manager for ripping off kids and there parents by selling broken garbage... after about half an hour he got his refund (I think just to get him out of the store) and I was not allowed to get any game after that until we rented it first.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Battletoads is doable with 2 players. My brother and I were able to make it through that game as kids. You just need to be as stubborn as the game.
TMNT 1 was also very similar. It took me years, but most of that was because I didn't know how to activate the grappling hook. Once I managed to get that done, it was about 50 more sittings to beat it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Gumshoe. It was a pain in the ass but fun.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Battletoads is doable with 2 players. My brother and I were able to make it through that game as kids. You just need to be as stubborn as the game.
In what universe is Battletoads easier with 2 players?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I do recall beating Battletoads after considerable effort. Never touched it again after that.

Ninja Gaiden was tough, but not too bad IMO.

Hardest game for me to beat back then was the Sunsoft Batman game. Was a f'in bitch to get to the end. And the Joker was beyond brutal.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Battletoads for me. I remember my friends and I would always get stuck on the 2nd stage with the bikes and would always lose there. I think we got past it once and we were completely shocked (we died soon after). I still can't beat the game. I think it's quite impossible without cheats/tools.

That game probably on everyone's list. Goddamn bike level...

I'll add the NG series as well. hard as 3 is, I still like it the most.

As a honorable mention, the hardest game was getting a system that wasn't yours to work just right. EVERY SYSTEM has it's own trick. Press down, put game in and press down a few times then play. Blow, insert, blow, insert, play.

These aren't sex instructions, it's NES cart instructions!

A cousin of mine, his would only work if a game was in the Game Genie. I think it depressed the pins just a little extra and made it all work smooth.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That game probably on everyone's list. Goddamn bike level...

I'll add the NG series as well. hard as 3 is, I still like it the most.

As a honorable mention, the hardest game was getting a system that wasn't yours to work just right. EVERY SYSTEM has it's own trick. Press down, put game in and press down a few times then play. Blow, insert, blow, insert, play.

These aren't sex instructions, it's NES cart instructions!

A cousin of mine, his would only work if a game was in the Game Genie. I think it depressed the pins just a little extra and made it all work smooth.

The game genie had a larger board than a standard game. So much so that it would stretch out the receptors in the console to the point where it would only work with one inserted. I have two NES consoles, one with a permanent GG stuck in it, one that never has a GG used on it...

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!

smokehouse said:
The game genie had a larger board than a standard game. So much so that it would stretch out the receptors in the console to the point where it would only work with one inserted. I have two NES consoles, one with a permanent GG stuck in it, one that never has a GG used on it...

jip4cp.jpg

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I know Friday the 13th was a piece of shit, but has any human being ever beaten it? I remember as a kid I made it all.the way to the fight with Jason's moms head(in direct defiance of god) but that's as far as I ever got.

Yes sir I have beat it. Its not that bad after you get Jason's mothers sweater and the torch. Oh and get as many medicine bottles that you can carry. Lot's of people wait and get the pitch fork but it isn't necessary. I forget which counselor was the best to use I haven't palyed it in a few years I think I always used Mark.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Mega Man 1. I started with later Mega Mans, so the lack of a password feature killed it for me.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'm not sure if the Gen version was different...but the NES copy was sadistic. Even in 2 player mode it was insane. To this day, that's one game I still haven't beat...

I just watched an NES playthrough and it looked WAY more wretched than I remembered on the genesis. And I would usually use warps and kick a shitload of 1-ups out of those crows. So in retrospect, beating it on the genny isn't so braggable anymore. =/

EDIT: what I wouldn't give for a chance to go back in time and watch myself play through all these shitty games. I have no idea how I even tolerated them, let alone finished them.

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Deadly Towers.

To this day, I have no fucking clue what I am supposed to do. A small bat will kill you in 2 seconds. It is a terrible game, and I don't think it is meant to be played.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I was never able to get pass the water level.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Silver-Surfer-NES-135x135.jpg

It's never easy being a naked dude hurtling through space on a surf board.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Deadly Towers.

To this day, I have no fucking clue what I am supposed to do. A small bat will kill you in 2 seconds. It is a terrible game, and I don't think it is meant to be played.
Best cheat ever learned for Deadly Towers:

1) Start new game
2) Die immediately, then Continue
3) On Password Screen, change the first two characters to EF or FE, then press Start

You'll start out stronger & better equipped.

...and I totally agree with all who said TMNT. Once you lose Donatello, it's pretty much downhill from there.