Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
sheng long is not shen long.

there's no sheng woo in KoF 2003.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Till this day I still have no clue who is this Sheng Long character Ryu is on about?

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
one of the gouken titles on ssf4 is 'aka sheng long'

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Sheng Long is a really lazy miss translation. It was supposed to say you must defeat Shoryuken to stand a chance.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's not a mistranslation, but rather someone used the Chinese pronounciation rather than the Japanese one.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's not a mistranslation, but rather someone used the Chinese pronounciation rather than the Japanese one.

That is correct sir thanks for clarification.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Sheng Long is a really lazy miss translation. It was supposed to say you must defeat Shoryuken to stand a chance.
The original Japanese win quote for Ryu was "IF YOU CANNOT OVERCOME THE RISING DRAGON PUNCH, YOU CANNOT WIN!" (昇龍拳を破らぬ限り、おまえに勝ち目はない!)
The words sho ryu from (昇龍 rising dragon) from Shōryūken (昇龍拳) were translated to "shēng lóng" in Chinese. This was translated to "YOU MUST DEFEAT SHENG LONG TO STAND A CHANCE." in the English arcade version of Street Fighter 2. So (at least in the English version) it sounded like "SHENG LONG" referred to a person instead of the shoryuken attack. So that's why there's the confusion, because it's translated between three different languages. The English SNES version changed the quote to "YOU MUST DEFEAT MY DRAGON PUNCH TO STAND A CHANCE." (this was because the SNES version was released after the EGM prank was published). But, despite this, the English manual for the SNES SF2 referred to Sheng Long as being Ryu and Ken's teacher.
The closest thing to a Sheng Long appearance in a Street Fighter game is Gouken in Street Fighter 4.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I remember the Egm gag back in the day. People were going apeshit in the arcades trying to unlock "Shenglong"

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
wow, no mention of the Shen Long from Gowcaizer in this thread?

I mean, I know it's a terrible game and all, but this is a Neo-Geo forum...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I remember the Egm gag back in the day. People were going apeshit in the arcades trying to unlock "Shenglong"
The requirements to get to Sheng Long were ridiculous. You had to beat the game without ever getting hit, and then go 10 rounds against Bison without ever hitting each other. Even the best Street Fighter players in the world wouldn't have been able to do that. Capcom would have never had a secret character being so hard to reach.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
wow, no mention of the Shen Long from Gowcaizer in this thread?

I mean, I know it's a terrible game and all, but this is a Neo-Geo forum...

I've only ever played Gowcaizer a handful of times via emulation. From memory it was terrible, thus why I probably overlooked this. Is it as terrible as I remember?? (like 2 frames of animation per attack etc)...

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
The requirements to get to Sheng Long were ridiculous. You had to beat the game without ever getting hit, and then go 10 rounds against Bison without ever hitting each other. Even the best Street Fighter players in the world wouldn't have been able to do that. Capcom would have never had a secret character being so hard to reach.

Well it's capcom the same people that made us finish Ghosts'n Goblins twice in a row to actually get the "ending"

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,

I did this for a bit after I got that EGM in the mail lol.

I could beat the game in a quarter so I would take 50 cents out of my lunch money everyday and hit the bowling alley around the block from the school. Kept trying to pull this off till I finally found out it was a prank.