Ordered it!

I Ordered my NeoGeo X Gold from BestBuy 2 days ago, got it today! This unit is awesome!

I don't really understand all the hate here. Sure you can download an emulator for your PC, Phone, or other handheld devices and get all the NG games, or if you have deep pockets and a career, spend over $2,000 to get the actual AVS home console and the same exact titles on the NGX Gold.

You don't buy the NGX for that purpose.. you buy it to support SNK. You Buy it for the namesake, the nostalgia, and the awesomeness that it is.. I can tell you as an owner of a PSP and Nintendo 3ds handhelds, and also owner of a NeoGeo AVS and 2 games.. I do not regret one bit my purchase. Honestly love this handheld! I love the solid HQ feel of the unit, it's size, large screen, and the tactile feel of the clicky buttons and thumbstick. I haven't been able to put it down at all since taking it out the box... been getting my MetalSlug on!

Sure you can complain the graphics isn't true HD, there's no web browser, no media player, and the dock and controller seem like mass-production commercial quality plastic, but you're a f-ing moron just because you think that cause some reviewer on youtube said so who is too spoiled by PSP/Vita and Smartphones and can't realize it's a game system, not an entertainment system.

I am glad this unit doesn't have the gimmicks, doesn't have a pointless web browser, media player and other useless crap especially that this day and age, we all have smartphones on us at all times or are parked next to a computer... the original AVS didnt have that sh*t..

The NGX is purely a game machine and nothing more. That's what I love about it.

In addition, those of you who think the build quality of the joystick and dock isn't the great because some random moron on youtube told you so... i can tell you as an AVS owner, the plastic seems to be the same quality, including the weight of the joystick. and those of you who b**ch and moan because it doesn't look great on a HDTV, what do you expect? it's a handheld device with games that are from the early 1990s.. the AVS looks like crap itself on a big screen HDTV as well!

In addition, you are forgetting one important thing.. Unlike those of you who are spoiled by your Nintendo 3ds, PS Vitas, high end smartphones, etc.. unlike those.. you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a NGX, at only $125-150 for a new unit, it's amazing the quality of the handheld that you get, and it includes a home dock and joystick controller, considering the cost of the joystick and dock separate. What you get for your money is epic!

P.S. even though alot of you b**ch and moan about the NGX now a days, I am sure 5-10 years from now, you'll be kicking yourself in the A*s for not getting one when you had the chance as I am confident the value of an NGX will increase much like the other SNK branded consoles of 20 years ago, while your Phones will be worthless, your PSPs and Vitas and 3Ds worthless due to the huge number sold. I hope those rumors that Tommo will stop shipping new units soon is true, because the less numbers out there will truly make it a limited edition and guarantee it's value retention (and possibly increase) for the future.

P.P.S. I highly suggest watching some reviews from some notable reviewers who too are NeoGeo AVS owners:

Leftover Culture - NeoGeo X Review

Gamester81 - NeoGeo X Review

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
So because there is a low number of Yugos out there these days, that makes them valuable?

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I Ordered my NeoGeo X Gold from BestBuy 2 days ago, got it today! This unit is awesome!......

As a NeoX owner, I have to say that I am seriously hoping this entire post was written with tongue firmly in cheek.

And...what is an avs?

HemlockDrew

New Challenger
Nice post - glad you like it! I think it's awesome!

Also glad to hear somebody keeping this positive :)

If you're talking Yugo, depends on condition, those can cost a pretty penny actually. However if you're taking Yugo SKS, those are killer (no pun intended) and can fetch high prices for pristine condition models. There's always collectors who will dish out thousands for one.

Just because you may not like a model of a particular car or in the case of the SKS, a high powered semi-automatic rifle, doesn't mean others don't or collectors and enthusiast out there willing to appreciate and collect and keep the spirit alive.. same as a NeoGeo X owner.. just because there's alot of morons out there who bought the thing, expecting something produced on the level of a Sony or other Multi-Billion dollar corporation level and now are bi*ching and moaning, you should sell your NeoGeo X's and get them out of the hands of Morons like yourselves, and into the Hands of the true Collectors, those who truly appreciate SNK and will suport SNK.

That's the one and only reason to buy a NGX this day and age of overpowered Smartphones, Sony Vitas, Nintendo 3DS', and tablets, solely to support and show your support, appreciation, and enthusiasm for NeoGeo/SNK.

And as an enthusiast I can truly say, I am satisfied with my purchase and am happy to know some of my money used in the purchase of the NGX will contribute to SNK's future, unlike those of you who download, buy, and use unofficial emulators and devices.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
I can talk only for myself but, you wont support SNK when buying a NGX you will support Tommo selling cheap chinese hardware and licenced Roms on SD cards.

A much as i want to buy a NGX im always looking at the reviews and posts here and think that things must be big crap.
I would concider buy one for 100€ but here in Europe this thing cost around 300€ and that is way to much.
Even when the gold sys was at amazon for 130$ it would still have cost me 145€ to import it with no warrantly. So when i get a faulty one i spend 145€ for nothing. Aside from that its still to much money for this thing.

So yeah playing Neo Games on the run with a good thubstick must be fun. Then again i have a old dingoo that does the same only missing the thumbstick and often a bit slower then the NGX i bet, but the Dingoo did cost me 50€ to imort when it came out new.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I Ordered my NeoGeo X Gold from BestBuy 2 days ago, got it today! This unit is awesome!

I don't really understand all the hate here. Sure you can download an emulator for your PC, Phone, or other handheld devices and get all the NG games, or if you have deep pockets and a career, spend over $2,000 to get the actual AVS home console and the same exact titles on the NGX Gold.

You don't buy the NGX for that purpose.. you buy it to support SNK. You Buy it for the namesake, the nostalgia, and the awesomeness that it is.. I can tell you as an owner of a PSP and Nintendo 3ds handhelds, and also owner of a NeoGeo AVS and 2 games.. I do not regret one bit my purchase. Honestly love this handheld! I love the solid HQ feel of the unit, it's size, large screen, and the tactile feel of the clicky buttons and thumbstick. I haven't been able to put it down at all since taking it out the box... been getting my MetalSlug on!

Sure you can complain the graphics isn't true HD, there's no web browser, no media player, and the dock and controller seem like mass-production commercial quality plastic, but you're a f-ing moron just because you think that cause some reviewer on youtube said so who is too spoiled by PSP/Vita and Smartphones and can't realize it's a game system, not an entertainment system.

I am glad this unit doesn't have the gimmicks, doesn't have a pointless web browser, media player and other useless crap especially that this day and age, we all have smartphones on us at all times or are parked next to a computer... the original AVS didnt have that sh*t..

In addition, those of you who think the build quality of the joystick and dock isn't the great because some random moron on youtube told you so... i can tell you as an AVS owner, the plastic seems to be the same quality, including the weight of the joystick. and those of you who b**ch and moan because it doesn't look great on a HDTV, what do you expect? it's a handheld device with games that are from the early 1990s.. the AVS looks like crap itself on a big screen HDTV as well!

In addition, you are forgetting one important thing.. Unlike those of you who are spoiled by your Nintendo 3ds, PS Vitas, high end smartphones, etc.. unlike those.. you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for a NGX, at only $125-150 for a new unit, it's amazing the quality of the handheld that you get, and it includes a home dock and joystick controller, considering the cost of the joystick and dock separate. What you get for your money is epic!

P.S. even though alot of you b**ch and moan about the NGX now a days, I am sure 5-10 years from now, you'll be kicking yourself in the A*s for not getting one when you had the chance as I am confident the value of an NGX will increase much like the other SNK branded consoles of 20 years ago, while your Phones will be worthless, your PSPs and Vitas and 3Ds worthless due to the huge number sold. I hope those rumors that Tommo will stop shipping new units soon is true, because the less numbers out there will truly make it a limited edition and guarantee it's value retention (and possibly increase) for the future.

P.P.S. I highly suggest watching some reviews from some notable reviewers who too are NeoGeo AVS owners:

Holy shit.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

crack_pipe.jpg

I can talk only for myself but, you wont support SNK when buying a NGX you will support Tommo selling cheap chinese hardware and licenced Roms on SD cards.

the fact it's officially licensed by SNK/Playmore, this just isn't true. SNK gets a % of all official product sales/movement, Tommo takes another % and the distributors the final %, then retailers make their profit through sale.

As long as it's not a purchase from a private party or reseller or ebay, you are supporting SNK in the end, because the more Tommo sells, that's more of a cut that goes towards SNK to keep them alive and consider releasing or licensing future products.

SSS

neo retired
that's more of a cut that goes towards SNK to keep them alive and consider releasing or licensing future products.

if by future products you mean of the same quality as the neo x, then they deserve to go under... Again

Last edited:

pipes

the fact it's officially licensed by SNK/Playmore, this just isn't true. SNK gets a % of all official product sales/movement, Tommo takes another % and the distributors the final %, then retailers make their profit through sale.

As long as it's not a purchase from a private party or reseller or ebay, you are supporting SNK in the end, because the more Tommo sells, that's more of a cut that goes towards SNK to keep them alive and consider releasing or licensing future products.

Long story short, you bought a piece of junk made by Tommo.

YANDMAN

NEST Puppet
I don't own one, I don't hate them, If you also don't own one i don't understand why you should care either, To pick up on what someone else said about the pricing in Europe, It is ridiculous, if they were much cheaper i might consider it just for a little fun but they retail these in England for £175.00 that's right £175.00 do the dollars conversion on that and then fall over.

But i have made several spirited attempts at purchasing an AES over time and never won one, The very cheapest you will get one in the U.K is £250.00 maybe with one game and a faded controller, I have decided that next month im going to build an MVS cabinet and be done with it.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
When i buy a NGX Gold from funstock i have to pay 225€ thats around 295$. On amazon.de they between 260 and 300€ that around 390$, no way.

On amazon.com when they where 130$, i would end up with shipping and import duty at 190$ without warrantly.

Oh for your reference im a AES, CD and Pocket owner with a huge colection. I dont see how this matters if other reviwers did comparsions with real hardware and say the NGX sucks.

I did support SNK back then and they went bankrupt. SNK Playmore is some other company to me even if they have a lot staff from the old SNK.
That being said i did not buy a game from em after they stopped support the Neo-Geo. Just because i did not own the consoles the software came out for.
I could have bought some game CDs on Wii with games i already owned in AES carts that get emulated on Wii. Or i could have bought some on virtual console that also only emulated and not even from SNK Playmore.
Now i did not even own that Wii anymore.

If you want a real SNK Handheld better get a Neo-Geo Pocket color and all the good games for way less money.
A lot of fun, 40 hours of play with two AA batterys, build in horoscope, time and alarm and real SNK hardware.

Last edited:

pipes

I expected more from you.

I'm not done.

Also, I borrowed one from a friend of mine for a couple of days. I don't need to own it to know it's low quality garbage. I couldn't wait to give it back.

YANDMAN

NEST Puppet
Ive gotta give pipes some props on that one , he has tried the thing out so that's fair enough, I hope that the update fixes if for those that do own it and at least you will be able to enjoy these great games properly

I don't own one, I don't hate them, If you also don't own one i don't understand why you should care either, To pick up on what someone else said about the pricing in Europe, It is ridiculous, if they were much cheaper i might consider it just for a little fun but they retail these in England for £175.00 that's right £175.00 do the dollars conversion on that and then fall over.

eBay, plenty of US sellers who ship internationally who set the shipping too low or reasonable., i am on ebay.co.uk and on ebay.com, set the location to the UK for shipping, and there's some as low as £110-125 buy it now prices, and i am sure if you're patient, you can snag one cheaper from an auction as some of the auctions go for $75-125 USD and offer cheap UK shipping about $25-35 USD.

Not to mention there's some U.S. and Canadian based retailers who ship internationally for reasonable prices totaling under £150.

HB_Gamer

n00b
I'm not done.

Also, I borrowed one from a friend of mine for a couple of days. I don't need to own it to know it's low quality garbage. I couldn't wait to give it back.

I bought one and enjoy it . Now what hater?

SSS

neo retired
It's not totally useless, makes a great coaster when setting down your beer. Keeps water rings of cabinet control panels.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
eBay, plenty of US sellers who ship internationally who set the shipping too low or reasonable., i am on ebay.co.uk and on ebay.com, set the location to the UK for shipping, and there's some as low as £110-125 buy it now prices, and i am sure if you're patient, you can snag one cheaper from an auction as some of the auctions go for $75-125 USD and offer cheap UK shipping about $25-35 USD.

Not to mention there's some U.S. and Canadian based retailers who ship internationally for reasonable prices totaling under £150.

If you import one you have no warrantly. So what you do when you get a unit with bad thumbstick or other faulty or even missing stuff ?
Shipping back to the seller ? that will cost you 35€ / 46$ here and also a lot trouble at the customs when the replacement arrives.
Keep in mind for imports you have to pay import duty at least 19% on items and shipping. since its over 150€ you can also add 3-5% on top of that extra.
The amazon.com one was at 130$ plus 14$ shipping, but you still end up at around 145€ at total costs and that is around 190$.

The Gold sys might be worth 100-130$ and for that price would consider buy one. But i cant get it for that price no matter what.

Good for you, would be a shame you didnt or not ?

Actually why someone is a hater because he says the truth and why should he care or be angry that you bought a NGX ?
Hint look at his sig and add pipe after Tommo.

Last edited:

pipes

Your standards for acceptable quality are obviously quite low. You enjoy playing low quality emulations on a low quality device. I applaud your ability to completely ignore the overwhelming negatives and somehow enjoy it. I find that absolutely amazing and incomprehensible at the same time.

SSS

neo retired
Hey guys, just bought a new car! burnin' a bit of oil and the alignments all messed up. brake pedal sinks to the floor, AC don't work and the rear passenger speaker's a bit buzzy. But what an awesome car otherwise cause it's got the same label as a classic, amirite?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I actually like the color palette on the neo geo x. It is more of a toned down muted approach, gives it a certain realistic edgy look, compared to the crisp overly colorful and contrasty original neo geo games.

I think you guys will agree the ngx just looks better in the screens below, right?

ngx_vs_vita_xperia.jpg