Post Your Recent Purchases!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I visited a site once that noted and showed by way of side by side comparisons where the "inspiration" art that many covers were based on originated from.

Many of the covers were simply either copies of earlier fantasy arts or based on movie photos, including some of the most iconic of game covers.

It was a bit deflating realizing that many of the at least vaguely interesting game covers I had grown up with were just quickly thrown together copies of other works dashed out by workmen artists trying to make deadlines who probably simply didn't care about originality or the subject matter at hand.

Hardcore Gaming 101?

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Couple of quick pickups. I played the hell out of NFS when it was new.

20180226_122040.jpg

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Couple of quick pickups. I played the hell out of NFS when it was new.

View attachment 49066

never heard of metro 2033, after looking it up it it looks like a kind of game that i would enjoy. i quite like slow paste atmospheric horror fps'.

also nice pick up on the shining force games. some of the best strategy rpg's ever. not including the fire emblem games, i liked the shing force genesis/megadrive games more than any other srpg that came after them.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
never heard of metro 2033, after looking it up it it looks like a kind of game that i would enjoy. i quite like slow paste atmospheric horror fps'.

Agreed. I'll be picking up the Redux combo after recently reading a good article in Game Informer (fwiw...) with the creative director of the series.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member

also nice pick up on the shining force games. some of the best strategy rpg's ever. not including the fire emblem games, i liked the shing force genesis/megadrive games more than any other srpg that came after them.

I've never played shining force but hear good things about them, and they were both in the same place for a decent price so I said why not

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Thanks for answering that question. My copy of SSVS had that sticker and at first I thought it meant that it was the fixed version of the game.

Everything I've seen on SSVS says that the MVS version didn't get fixed. Just the AES version. And while it is possible I'm wrong on that I've never, ever seen an MVS version listed as "fixed".

Anyway, glad I could be of some use and not just a useless noob...

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Everything I've seen on SSVS says that the MVS version didn't get fixed. Just the AES version. And while it is possible I'm wrong on that I've never, ever seen an MVS version listed as "fixed".

Anyway, glad I could be of some use and not just a useless noob...

That's no way to talk. You're a goddamn MVS Executive! :cool:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never played shining force but hear good things about them, and they were both in the same place for a decent price so I said why not

You're in for a treat. I love Shining Force. I don't really remember 2, it's been so long since I played it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You're in for a treat. I love Shining Force. I don't really remember 2, it's been so long since I played it.

I think the first one is better in my opinion. The second one does fix some little things. Both are worth playing though for sure.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Picked up one of those sticks from RetroStockPile (Dr. Meat on here). It has some nice weight, but not overly heavy. Went with Sanwa stick & buttons. Already swapped out some of the side inserts, which are a thick stock of paper. Very clean looking on the inside. Feel like the edges are a little on the rough-side cut wise, but the rest looks very clean.

Stick.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I think the first one is better in my opinion. The second one does fix some little things. Both are worth playing though for sure.

I played through the Sega CD game last year. It's not as good as Shining Force 1 either but it's still a fantastic game. Probably not worth the current price but definitely worth a CDR and a month of my time.

Picked up one of those sticks from RetroStockPile (Dr. Meat on here). It has some nice weight, but not overly heavy. Went with Sanwa stick & buttons. Already swapped out some of the side inserts, which are a thick stock of paper. Very clean looking on the inside. Feel like the edges are a little on the rough-side cut wise, but the rest looks very clean.

View attachment 49075

This looks sweet.

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
No pictures because I'm lazy, but finally picked up a NeoSD so I can get some more use out of my AES. Tax return was much better than expected, so yay. You guys probably know what it looks like anyway, and mine's no different.

Still unemployed, but using most of the tax return to try and build up cheap stock to open an eBay store. Probably won't go well, but it's worth a shot. At worst, I'll probably be able to break even and score some free shit out of the deal before I go back to looking for (and likely failing to acquire) a real job.

Also, picked up a 2nd AES from eBay, going to sell my first one off to try and make some of the money back. Was looking for a good price on the original style AES joysticks to replace my kidney bean, and that was a failed quest, but I found a Unibios modded console with a color changing LED with two original joysticks at a good price, so just went with that, and now have a stock AES to sell off. Also picked up another copy of Magician Lord (CIB this time, to replace cart only copy), along with a lot of Samurai Spirits 1 and 2. Already have SS2, but going to sell off whichever copy is in worse cosmetic shape. May include both games with the system as a lot, may just include one and sell the other off on its own. Undecided. Still waiting on the packages to arrive.

I said I didn't feel like taking pictures because this is all pretty simple stuff, but the eBay seller was nice enough to upload a YouTube video of the color changing LED, so here's a video of my AES made before it was actually mine.

The only other specific fun purchases were replacing a few albums I sold off years ago when I needed the money, and a couple of relatively cheap TurboGrafx games like Blazing Lazers and Dungeon Explorer.

I've also bought a few big lots of crap on eBay to specifically try and turn a profit, but I'll hold off on sharing full details until I'm certain what's getting sold versus what's getting kept for my collection. I'll just say I have around 100 carts coming in for NES, SNES, and Genesis, and a surprising number of them are pretty good games and not just 50 different versions of football and soccer.

We'll see how this goes. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
No pictures because I'm lazy, but finally picked up a NeoSD so I can get some more use out of my AES. Tax return was much better than expected, so yay. You guys probably know what it looks like anyway, and mine's no different.

Still unemployed, but using most of the tax return to try and build up cheap stock to open an eBay store. Probably won't go well, but it's worth a shot. At worst, I'll probably be able to break even and score some free shit out of the deal before I go back to looking for (and likely failing to acquire) a real job.

Also, picked up a 2nd AES from eBay, going to sell my first one off to try and make some of the money back. Was looking for a good price on the original style AES joysticks to replace my kidney bean, and that was a failed quest, but I found a Unibios modded console with a color changing LED with two original joysticks at a good price, so just went with that, and now have a stock AES to sell off. Also picked up another copy of Magician Lord (CIB this time, to replace cart only copy), along with a lot of Samurai Spirits 1 and 2. Already have SS2, but going to sell off whichever copy is in worse cosmetic shape. May include both games with the system as a lot, may just include one and sell the other off on its own. Undecided. Still waiting on the packages to arrive.

I said I didn't feel like taking pictures because this is all pretty simple stuff, but the eBay seller was nice enough to upload a YouTube video of the color changing LED, so here's a video of my AES made before it was actually mine.

The only other specific fun purchases were replacing a few albums I sold off years ago when I needed the money, and a couple of relatively cheap TurboGrafx games like Blazing Lazers and Dungeon Explorer.

I've also bought a few big lots of crap on eBay to specifically try and turn a profit, but I'll hold off on sharing full details until I'm certain what's getting sold versus what's getting kept for my collection. I'll just say I have around 100 carts coming in for NES, SNES, and Genesis, and a surprising number of them are pretty good games and not just 50 different versions of football and soccer.

We'll see how this goes. Wish me luck.

1ha0c5.jpg

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother

Are you trying to say my post is making you consider suicide, or that I should personally consider it? Or maybe that my post is just asking to get flamed, and you're likening it to attempting suicide because it's kinda sorta like killing myself on the forums?

Sorry, just a lot of ways I can read that picture.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Are you trying to say my post is making you consider suicide, or that I should personally consider it? Or maybe that my post is just asking to get flamed, and you're likening it to attempting suicide because it's kinda sorta like killing myself on the forums?

Sorry, just a lot of ways I can read that picture.

You talk too much, probably why you can't find a job.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Slowly advancing my Neo Geo posters collection. My recent addition...

img_20180302_18205915pl2.jpg

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Jb4gF2W.jpg

Just finishing things with the last few SNES games I've been after, although, I hadn't given Tetris Attack a thought until I read that thread in Unrelated about 16 bit puzzlers; I thought it was a completely different game than what it is, and after looking it up, I was sold on since I really like that Puyo Puyo/Pocket Fighter style of game.
I came across a brand new Tetris Attack for cheap at a pawn shop this afternoon while I was selling some old dvds.

I really missed having a CT with all the posters and such, and the price was right, so I think I'll play the game again this weekend.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Jb4gF2W.jpg

Just finishing things with the last few SNES games I've been after, although, I hadn't given Tetris Attack a thought until I read that thread in Unrelated about 16 bit puzzlers; I thought it was a completely different game than what it is, and after looking it up, I was sold on since I really like that Puyo Puyo/Pocket Fighter style of game.
I came across a brand new Tetris Attack for cheap at a pawn shop this afternoon while I was selling some old dvds.

I really missed having a CT with all the posters and such, and the price was right, so I think I'll play the game again this weekend.

Beautiful chrono. I picked up a loose cart of Tetris Attack based off the same thread and played the hell out of it with the girlfriend.