CRT Fetish Thread

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
No. It will make your tv look more high res with thicker scanlines. Colors will be better and you will have an easier time calibrating convergence (and sometimes geometry) but your FS100 will give you a more authentic CRT picture. I wouldn't swap an FS100 for a BVM unless I absolutely needed super thick scanlines.

Thank you for that info. I'm not feeling so bad right now lol.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Right now I'm using a Sony KV-27FS100 that I bought for $12 from Goodwill lol. Is that enough, or will a 20" bvm/pvm be that much more an improvement to justify the costs of $200-400?

I recently sold my 20" pvm and bought a KV-27FD200, which is almost the same tv you have. No regrets.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Get a good rgb to component converter and you'll have a rgb image 90% as good as a pvm. Composite may be better.

Between the two that I had, sharpness was better on the pvm and the colors were a tad better, but the tradeoff in size was easily worth it. They aren't that much different in quality. Also, my laserdisc player looks much better on the Wega through composite out svideo thanks to an awesome comb filter and some fine tuning of the settings.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
IMHO, modding consumer CRT TVs to take RGB is the next step to fight back against rising RGB monitor costs. Basically, there's a means for the TV to interrupt (blank) a section of a scanline so it can draw the OSD (channel, volume, menu, etc) in RGB. You get blanking to run fulltime (typically tie a pin to GND or VCC), lift RGB from the jungle IC off of the chassis, insert your own RGB there, tie Sync to a Composite input, possibly use a few more components like resistors and caps, and you're in. You should probably also divert the jungle IC's output to a switch so you can use it when needed. All pretty simple stuff and in fact I'm considering doing this for at least one of my arcade cabinets to give it a replacement CRT.

I paid $40 each for 2 PVM 2950Q several years ago in Dallas, I really dunno if I'd pay the going rate for a replacement if mine died (gave the other to a retrogaming buddy of mine).

there will come a time but it feels like we're a ways from that. The average tech savvy person wants no part of that sort of mod. Too dangerous and too scary

might be a nice influx of potential retro gaming costumers for CRT repair men though :) Especially if they are willing to do mods

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Get a good rgb to component converter and you'll have a rgb image 90% as good as a pvm. Composite may be better.

Between the two that I had, sharpness was better on the pvm and the colors were a tad better, but the tradeoff in size was easily worth it. They aren't that much different in quality. Also, my laserdisc player looks much better on the Wega through composite out svideo thanks to an awesome comb filter and some fine tuning of the settings.

Good info, thanks. If you have a recommendation for a converter, I'm all ears.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The one that FuzionITR sells is excellent. The colors are a tad warm on my tv but that can be fixed by setting the tv to "cool." He's on the forum here and he sells them on eBay.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
But then I'd have to talk to that wookie to make a scart to jp21 cable, ugh

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I meant a female jp21 to male scart adapter, since I only have jp21 cables unless there is a good vga to component box you know of?

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
there will come a time but it feels like we're a ways from that. The average tech savvy person wants no part of that sort of mod. Too dangerous and too scary

might be a nice influx of potential retro gaming costumers for CRT repair men though :) Especially if they are willing to do mods

I would be interested to see what RGB looks like compared to Component on a Trinitron. However, I agree. We will have to get pretty desperate to start modding TVs. I, personally, have no qualms about modding a system or building a cable using a guide, but I wouldn't feel comfortable messing with a CRT. Also, before I modded my NES for RGB, I used composite to a BVM, and it looked much better than the composite to the Trinitron.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
IMHO, modding consumer CRT TVs to take RGB is the next step to fight back against rising RGB monitor costs. Basically, there's a means for the TV to interrupt (blank) a section of a scanline so it can draw the OSD (channel, volume, menu, etc) in RGB. You get blanking to run fulltime (typically tie a pin to GND or VCC), lift RGB from the jungle IC off of the chassis, insert your own RGB there, tie Sync to a Composite input, possibly use a few more components like resistors and caps, and you're in. You should probably also divert the jungle IC's output to a switch so you can use it when needed. All pretty simple stuff and in fact I'm considering doing this for at least one of my arcade cabinets to give it a replacement CRT.

I paid $40 each for 2 PVM 2950Q several years ago in Dallas, I really dunno if I'd pay the going rate for a replacement if mine died (gave the other to a retrogaming buddy of mine).

This is why I stored my 32" WEGA. If my PVM ever goes out, I will get either an OSSC or an RGB>Component converter.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
One more plug for the wegas here. I have heard talk of the kind of mod that danadamkof was talking about, and would like to see one in person or in pics. The component converter boxes work very well though, and it makes things plug and play.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Okay, this next statement is going to sound like I am on crack, but I have to say this.

I currently have my Neo Geo and Wii on the PVM using Component A and Component B channels. When I am playing say Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Samurai Shodown V, the picture looks nice. When I played on my WEGA, I could swear that the image looks better. Am I missing something? Will the images look that much better once I upgrade to RGB cables?

Thanks!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What's your plan for running Wii in RGB? Flashing it to PAL mode and using a loader to run NTSCU retail games in PAL60 mode?

In any case, the Wega could have some filtering that isn't present or isn't enabled on the PVM. Wii's YPbPr output is decent but a bit soft with some minor imperfections like ringing (I've seen this in 480i and 240p at least), I would think it's reasonable that a Wega with some filtering active would look better than a PVM showing it outright.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
What's your plan for running Wii in RGB? Flashing it to PAL mode and using a loader to run NTSCU retail games in PAL60 mode?

In any case, the Wega could have some filtering that isn't present or isn't enabled on the PVM. Wii's YPbPr output is decent but a bit soft with some minor imperfections like ringing (I've seen this in 480i and 240p at least), I would think it's reasonable that a Wega with some filtering active would look better than a PVM showing it outright.

I was going to pickup a SCART cable for the Wii. I did not know I had to flash the console in order for it to work via SCART.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
A NTSC console won't work if you plug a SCART cable in, since the Wii determines what signals are on the connector based on region, and for NTSCU doesn't include RGB.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
A NTSC console won't work if you plug a SCART cable in, since the Wii determines what signals are on the connector based on region, and for NTSCU doesn't include RGB.

Good to know. Then I will just use the Wii2HDMI converter and hook it up to my larger TV.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member

Really? I'm almost positive I've used a scart lead with my USA Wii before with no problems.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Okay, this next statement is going to sound like I am on crack, but I have to say this.

I currently have my Neo Geo and Wii on the PVM using Component A and Component B channels. When I am playing say Tatsunoko vs Capcom or Samurai Shodown V, the picture looks nice. When I played on my WEGA, I could swear that the image looks better. Am I missing something? Will the images look that much better once I upgrade to RGB cables?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that a Wega is a damn nice set. The pvm isn't necessarily going to look better with every source. Laserdiscs look a hell of a lot better on the Wega, for instance.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Keep in mind that a Wega is a damn nice set. The pvm isn't necessarily going to look better with every source. Laserdiscs look a hell of a lot better on the Wega, for instance.

Isn't it possible to get a dedicated composite comb filter?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

I agree. I adjusted my WEGA so it is displaying in PRO mode which cleans up all the lines and separates the colors more than standard mode.