AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

ELebron77

n00b
I got some new pics of the proto shells that will be used for kickstarter. Several other colors will be coming very soon. I rounded out the corners some more and added some details to the backside.

rtv_shell_1_zpsf1aeb839.png

rtv_shell_2_zps3e1fade3.png

rtv_shell_3_zps27e50e16.png

rtv_shell_4_zps5bf00386.png

Still fits in the shockbox!

WOW Brotha!!!!!!!!......that looks amazing!!!....put me down! I'll definitely switch over on mines.

ELebron77

n00b
What about the stickers?....when these come out will you be providing the printed-out stickers?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
What about the stickers?....when these come out will you be providing the printed-out stickers?

I'll provide the printing service as part of the kickstarter but the artwork itself will need to be community provided. Just like the shockbox art.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Those look great! If I didn't have a stockpile of new black MVS shells already, I would use these for my upcoming game!

I guess I could sell off my bland MVS shell stock though. Hmmm... What to do???

Are the labels the same size as AES cart labels?

Jeff

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Those look great! If I didn't have a stockpile of new black MVS shells already, I would use these for my upcoming game!

I guess I could sell off my bland MVS shell stock though. Hmmm... What to do???

Are the labels the same size as AES cart labels?

Jeff

They are a bit larger to differentiate them a little from the aes cart. Here's a couple side by sides.

rtv_shell_5_zps854b12c2.png

rtv_shell_6_zps4dde700e.png

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Watch now as MVS carts with crappy labels suddenly increase in demand. ;)

psychobear85

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Somebody should seriously think about designing labels for these and have them ready by the time of realese

fr33m4n

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The only thing i didn't liked is the Omega symbol! It's just like something to be "used" only on omega!

It's possible make some whitout the Symbol?

Since i don't have the money for buying expensive AES carts, i'm seriously thinking in sell my NeoX and starting to buy some MVS loose carts and change the cases. Of course, if this is almost the final product, well i have to say that you're one of the true SNK gods!

Everybody hail the king!:buttrock:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The only thing i didn't liked is the Omega symbol! It's just like something to be "used" only on omega!

No. Either it's on there or not. You can't have both and as of now, the symbol stays.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member

Since i don't have the money for buying expensive AES carts, i'm seriously thinking in sell my NeoX and starting to buy some MVS loose carts and change the cases. Of course, if this is almost the final product, well i have to say that you're one of the true SNK gods!

Everybody hail the king!:buttrock:

I'm with you, its like free advertising. Weird.

fr33m4n

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sorry about the comment... i didn't know that you're the guy who makes the Omega console (absolutely amazing stuff)!

But no problem... i think i will pass these cases...

Keep the good work man!:tickled:

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
The branding is smart. Complaining about branding on more than one product is like telling Nike to stop making shoes with the swoosh on them because they shouldn't get free marketing for their t-shirts.

Can't wait for these to come out.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I caught this whole thing in it's infancy when it started but never had time to chime in but now I do.

Personally I'm with the camp that feels that trying to make the MVS format like the home cart format is a silly idea that has had sub-par results (and that is probably being generous). The fact remains that if the right people put thier time, effort, creativity & money into something like this the MVS could have had its own aesthetic & identity that stood stronger on its own but what we have now is this poor mans wannabe home cartridge image that is convoluted & tacky.
With the upswing that has occurred with the MVS market there is much more that could have been achieved.

I was not much a fan of the omega MVS due to it's cheap looking build, un-inspired design & awkward proportions but I will say that the prototype shells that I am seeing here are are step up. There is one blatant problem though and I have to ask the maker: why the decision to use solid black plastic and why in gods name is it glossed?
We have enough of a problem with bootlegs in the MVS market and solid plastics, colored or not, only contributes to the problem. Will you be utilizing clear plastics in production?
In regards to the gloss: did you set that spec? I would think that if you were making MVS cart shells that look "AES" they would at least have the same textured finish. That gloss finish would be a nightmare.

The branding is smart. Complaining about branding on more than one product is like telling Nike to stop making shoes with the swoosh on them because they shouldn't get free marketing for their t-shirts.

Can't wait for these to come out.

Smart? I suppose if you are a corporate acolyte.

Product (quality) always comes before Branding if you are a worthwhile company.
The omega symbol in the back does not bother me, the one on the front of his system did however. It just didn't fit.

Besides, his logo is a blatant knockoff of the watchmakers is it not?

Last edited:

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
I caught this whole thing in it's infancy when it started but never had time to chime in but now I do.

Personally I'm with the camp that feels that trying to make the MVS format like the home cart format is a silly idea that has had sub-par results (and that is probably being generous). The fact remains that if the right people put thier time, effort, creativity & money into something like this the MVS could have had its own aesthetic & identity that stood stronger on its own but what we have now is this poor mans wannabe home cartridge image that is convoluted & tacky.
With the upswing that has occurred with the MVS market there is much more that could have been achieved.

I was not much a fan of the omega MVS due to it's cheap looking build, un-inspired design & awkward proportions but I will say that the prototype shells that I am seeing here are are step up. There is one blatant problem though and I have to ask the maker: why the decision to use solid black plastic and why in gods name is it glossed?
We have enough of a problem with bootlegs in the MVS market and solid plastics, colored or not, only contributes to the problem. Will you be utilizing clear plastics in production?
In regards to the gloss: did you set that spec? I would think that if you were making MVS cart shells that look "AES" they would at least have the same textured finish. That gloss finish would be a nightmare.

Smart? I suppose if you are a corporate acolyte.

Product (quality) always comes before Branding if you are a worthwhile company.
The omega symbol in the back does not bother me, the one on the front of his system did however. It just didn't fit.

Besides, his logo is a blatant knockoff of the watchmakers is it not?

I'm pretty sure that the Greeks laid claim to the whole Omega thing before luxury wristwatches. I can't tell if you are joking with that one.

"Product (quality) always comes before Branding if you are a worthwhile company."

I'm going to assume that you you loaded that statement intentionally. A brand can be a sign of quality and pride, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving people a calling card. Implying that the Omega MVS isn't a quality product? I'm pretty sure that most people that own one (myself included) would disagree.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Relax man. These are just prototypes. Meaning that they don't have all the finishing touches of a final product. They come out glossy because the 3D models are smooth. Texturing is something applied after the molds are cut. It would be a tedious and very time consuming process to add texture to early design models. I don't have the resources to make every proto I do look like a final product. But as you can see with each proto iteration, I choose a better process that gets the model closer and closer to it's final representation.

I'm not a fan of the glossy look either. They'll have a fine texture somewhere between the Slug 4 carts and aes carts. It's cast in black because black plastic is easier to work with. Other color tones are more difficult to get a uniform color spread especially transparent which is why most electronics come in black. The aes and it's carts come in black and I don't see too many complaints about that color scheme.

The plan is to have multiple colors and transparent variants but black will remain the staple. It's got to get off the ground with community support before even that happens.

You're free to voice your opinion but don't make judgements on the quality of materials I use without having seen it in person. The grade of plastic I chose for the omega is better than what SNK used for the AES.

chuckfu

n00b
I think those look really good. The neo geo community never ceases to amaze me with these type of projects. Keep up the good work.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
These shells would be an awesome way to both distinguish and unite the "unofficial" releases in a collection (Ghostlop, Ironclad, etc.).