AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
just wondering what they would look like in an analogue interactive.. those are a bit deeper than the omega I think... would also like to see one in that apple-like one

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
just wondering what they would look like in an analogue interactive.. those are a bit deeper than the omega I think... would also like to see one in that apple-like one

Yea, now that you mention it... might fit in right at the edge of the sticker, but hopefully no further.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The sticker goes as far down as the yellow warning sticker on the original cart. There shouldn't be any loss of coverage.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is that label one printed on the vinyl or another printer?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The pulstar label on the proto was some wih a laser printer on regular paper. The source wasnt good and I didnt want to fire up the vinyl printer and laminator for one label.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The sticker goes as far down as the yellow warning sticker on the original cart. There shouldn't be any loss of coverage.
Yep, the picture here, further confirms it. Your labels stop before where the bottom set of vents used to be. The AI-CMVS reveals 3 rows of the bottom set, therefore the label will be fully visible and have approximately 1/2" space below it. Spacing should look very nice as it so happens.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The pulstar label on the proto was some wih a laser printer on regular paper. The source wasnt good and I didnt want to fire up the vinyl printer and laminator for one label.

Actually that's good to hear, I thought there was no way the vinyl would look that shitty...lol

Do you have the measurements from where the bend is at the top of the label?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Actually that's good to hear, I thought there was no way the vinyl would look that shitty...lol

Do you have the measurements from where the bend is at the top of the label?

Yeah. I have measurements for all three sections.

Spine: 18.8mm
Arc: 7.4mm
Face: 71.8mm

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
This is interesting. I am in the process of hunting down a cmvs, and this little gem here is *exactly* what I have been envisioning as a replacement for the otherwise lackluster mvs shells. I will definitely be watching this, and hopefully you will still be making them by the time I finally settle on a system.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So the vents are all the way at the bottom near the edge connector vs. where the chips are. Perhaps not an issue, but would be good to validate if possible.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I don't understand people's vents thing. Look at other types of carts, all 16 bit, n64, nes...no vents. AES uses the EXACT chips and has only aesthetic vents and no where near where the chips are. Solid state shit just doesn't run that hot. MVS carts have vents because they were designed to put in a wooden box mashed up against a bunch of other wooden boxes in an arcade. Even then the vents were pretty much there for the incredibly off chance that they were needed. Out of hundreds of mvs carts, I've only seen one KOF 2000 have a burned up chip and it probably had more to do with the mobo it was in than with ventilation. these shells are clearly for use outside of a cab and in a cmvs. Everyone stop worrying with the vents and just appreciate what shadowkn55 has made here. The guy clearly knows what he is doing with the Omega being proof enough.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The Altera Max chips in Metal Slug X mvs carts have a tendency to burn themselves to the point of melting.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Altera Max chips in Metal Slug X mvs carts have a tendency to burn themselves to the point of melting.

Usually they just die but I think you mean the CMC chip in various MVS carts, those yes. But it isn't because of ventilation, it's internal failure.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
So the vents are all the way at the bottom near the edge connector vs. where the chips are. Perhaps not an issue, but would be good to validate if possible.

The vents are on the backside near the top right below the screw holes. The features on the bottom of the cart are grooves similar to the ones found on aes carts.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Vents shouldn't be a problem to be honest.. carts looking very sexy indeed! Will be interesting to see how this turns out

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I see the vents now on the clear 3d printed sample. Looking good. Hopeful these new MVS carts come out and perhaps even an AES variant for NGDev to use. I plan to use on 161 cart.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Usually they just die but I think you mean the CMC chip in various MVS carts, those yes. But it isn't because of ventilation, it's internal failure.

Guess no amount of vents will prevent it then.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
Great work shadowkn55 !! I think those replacement MVS cart shells are super sick ! I'm definitely gonna be buying them for all my MVS carts .. I'll just put the original shells away and forget about them .. The way I see it is that will preserve the condition that my good carts are in .. A win win situation in my opinion .. Keep up the great work bro !!!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I got some new pics of the proto shells that will be used for kickstarter. Several other colors will be coming very soon. I rounded out the corners some more and added some details to the backside.

rtv_shell_1_zpsf1aeb839.png

rtv_shell_2_zps3e1fade3.png

rtv_shell_3_zps27e50e16.png

rtv_shell_4_zps5bf00386.png

Still fits in the shockbox!