Naomi Universal/Net City Club

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Looks great! Aside from the marquee holder (can't help you there) what are you looking for? I don't have a lot but I've got a few things laying around.

I have the marquee holder, but I need the plate that the marquee holder mounts to. The other piece I'm after is the card reader that goes in the 1 player control panel. I'd take a broken one at this point, just need to not have a gaping hole in the panel.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Right on. sadly I can't help you but best of luck in the search.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Silvergun on STV is just 3 buttons. It's not vert monitor so I don't have to worry about it on this setup, but I have all 6 buttons wired for the 360 anyway. I'll prob only run 1-5 to the JAMMA setup, and save the button 6 pin on the dsub for coin. I'll have to check out Daioh though :)

Dude you will like Daioh, the 6 buttons work great and does not feel gimmicky at all. I wanted to just get a 2l6b panel for my vert cab but after playing that game decided I needed to keep the 12b.

Westcb

I have the marquee holder, but I need the plate that the marquee holder mounts to. The other piece I'm after is the card reader that goes in the 1 player control panel. I'd take a broken one at this point, just need to not have a gaping hole in the panel.

I might got you covered.... I'll post pics of what I got when I get home.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Making progress, now I have to move the cab and run the video / CP cables (right rail is too close to the wall to do it where it is) which will be a total pain but totally necessary.

20151212_162046~2.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Finished it up :) Thanks for the tip to use the right side rail, no way I could have done it on the left.

20151213_002348.jpg

Hooked up for testing

20151213_002725.jpg

Testing the 2p port with one of the sticks I have wired for my superguns (used the same pinout for this adapter)

20151213_003109.jpg

Crammed in the cab (can't be any worse than the namco or konami adapter space wise)

20151213_004023_HDR.jpg

Monitor (ms 2933) looks great in 15khz. Had to up the brightness to make up for the scanlines, that's about it.

The audio is perfect through the line out converter, though it does add a 3rd volume control (board pot, LOC gains, naomi amp) but all in all, no complaints. Saved a few hundred bucks over buying a namco/konami adapter and should not have any of the compatibility issues (knock on wood). I might add -5 with a negatron at some point but for now I shouldn't need it.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Finished it up :) Thanks for the tip to use the right side rail, no way I could have done it on the left.

20151213_002348.jpg

Hooked up for testing

20151213_002725.jpg

Testing the 2p port with one of the sticks I have wired for my superguns (used the same pinout for this adapter)

20151213_003109.jpg

Crammed in the cab (can't be any worse than the namco or konami adapter space wise)

20151213_004023_HDR.jpg

Monitor (ms 2933) looks great in 15khz. Had to up the brightness to make up for the scanlines, that's about it.

The audio is perfect through the line out converter, though it does add a 3rd volume control (board pot, LOC gains, naomi amp) but all in all, no complaints. Saved a few hundred bucks over buying a namco/konami adapter and should not have any of the compatibility issues (knock on wood). I might add -5 with a negatron at some point but for now I shouldn't need it.

Looks good, man! Good on ya!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

20151213_002348.jpg

Hooked up for testing

20151213_002725.jpg

20151213_003109.jpg

20151213_004023_HDR.jpg

Nice work dude!

Westcb

Looking at the adapter it looks pretty straightforward but how does the DB15 cables connect to your control panel? Like service credit switches etc, or did you just create this to plug fight sticks into?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
In my cp, the loom has both the sega connection and a db15 I wired in. I put test and service buttons under the cp.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Posted this over on AO as well... fucking routers man.

A couple of days ago I get in bee storm, and I notice some "wiggle" in the video. It starts at the top of the monitor (or what would be the top if it were not tate) and moves to the bottom, then repeats.

I assume because I had to run the 3vpp video up the right hand rail (which is shared with the mains) that this might cause interference. I hit up FrancoB to see how he handled JAMMA video to a .7vpp input (normal VGA / JVS) and he said he used some 220 ohm resistors in his old looms. Not to jump the gun I put a NAOMI in 15khz and hooked it up to the normal dsub input; the wiggle was the same. So, not my cable run, and I started thinking monitor problem.

I have a row of 3 sega cabs, a blast and two net cities. Behind them is a power strip, and next to each cab is it's own external 100v stepdown. The only other things on that power strip are a laptop charger, and the wireless router I use so I can netboot the NAOMIs from a laptop or my phone.

As a last resort I unplug everything but the one cab from the power strip; the video is rock solid :lolz: It was the wireless router between the 2 net cities causing all my problems as far as I can tell. I plugged everything back in one by one but didn't get the same interference; perhaps the router auto selected a different frequency. Anyway, lesson learned, and I'll probably just put a non-wireless router or switch down there for sanity sake.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Anyone have any tips on where to get a flat CRT monitor bezel for my Naomi Universal? It's a Crazy Taxi upright, that I'm going to need a bunch of parts for to get lookin' pretty.

I found the generic 27"/29" "trim your own" at Xarcade (I know... I KNOW...) but I'm... worried about the quality.
http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-parts/products/flat-screen-bezel-for-wells-gardner

Sega might still have some. contact playitamusement. 300 wins might have a spare too.

damn skates. well at least it was a cheap fix ;)

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Anyone close to New Orleans interested in a New Net City? Good condition, some knicks and dings. I'll make a thread in the sales section if there is any interest. I also have a blast.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I dunno if you guys are in on the groovymame setups, but I just built two using JVS Pacs. Those little boards are quite possibly one of the coolest little add ons That I've ever run across. Makes the whole setup plug and play and doesn't require you to have any wacky keyboards/mice lingering around.

Westcb

I dunno if you guys are in on the groovymame setups, but I just built two using JVS Pacs. Those little boards are quite possibly one of the coolest little add ons That I've ever run across. Makes the whole setup plug and play and doesn't require you to have any wacky keyboards/mice lingering around.

I would like to get a full mame setup going again, I wanted something fancier like hyper spin but I ran into one snag that the onboard video was not compatible with the demo video playbacks in hyperspin so I never finished it proper and ended up pulling the PC out and letting my wife use it for her business. I messed with a buddies raspberry pi mame setup yesterday and was pretty impressed for size factor.
In the meantime I got a taito type x2 with the multi drive and have enjoyed it although I wouldn't mind a change of games.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I would like to get a full mame setup going again, I wanted something fancier like hyper spin but I ran into one snag that the onboard video was not compatible with the demo video playbacks in hyperspin so I never finished it proper and ended up pulling the PC out and letting my wife use it for her business. I messed with a buddies raspberry pi mame setup yesterday and was pretty impressed for size factor.
In the meantime I got a taito type x2 with the multi drive and have enjoyed it although I wouldn't mind a change of games.

Groovymame has a built in UI. It's no frills, but it gets the job done. For a PC I'm just using a dual core HP that I got for free with a $35 4350HD for CRT emu. This has totally changed my mind about Emulation on cabs.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Jvs-pac doesn't support mapping, but 1p start plus b4 sets an "unsupported" mapping that avoids keys like Alt. Works well for typex and such.