New proposal for Neo Geo

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
One problem has always been cost which has held down a big push of developments.

PROPOSAL: A knowledge hardware and software bank.

HARDWARE: Development book released. Linchpin of developments for all.

PCBS: am hoping to find more schematics to release. some already around here and there. common pool of schematics for repair.

CARTS: make database of all games and their cart boards and ID numbers. REVERSE ENGINEER the cart boards to draw up schematics.

Real engineers such as NTM can make a generic board type to sell for a low cost of blank boards with certain chips in them, such as the 257.

Need Billy's help to be able to draw up a schematic of the programming board I sold you since it uses 8 bit eproms and has the link circuit. While not showstoppers, those will help get things foward and tis good to give back to the community.

SOFTWARE ASSETS: A common pool of programming, graphics and sounds. Each game has raw form and cut out sprites and backgrounds. Helps to teach how to use those and can allow mashups bigtime. Easier entry way for newer programmers to jump into game design.

UTILITIES:
Art box, sprite cutters, sound converters to write to the PC and kept in a pool to help as design utilities.

RESULT:
the NES has a super healthy and alive homebrew due to the above being available. What is to stop us from doing the same?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
http://www.hardmvs.com/

has some stuff, but there's also a lot of other information out there. There's the manual that Tonk posted, which I guess he got from DavidG, who I guess bought it in the SNK firesale.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I think it would be cool if we could also create the equivalent of the CPS2 Yellow 'Rental' boards wherein we fill carts full of EPROMS in configurations that would support multiple release 'configurations'. It would make it easier for people to eventually have access to multiple homebrews without buying into different carts.

Nightmare Tony

has some stuff, but there's also a lot of other information out there. There's the manual that Tonk posted, which I guess he got from DavidG, who I guess bought it in the SNK firesale.

No. Tonk got the MVS programming manual from me. I asked him to release it, to spread it around. It belongs to the world.

I will be reele3asing one thing I found in my collection within 2-3 days. Found a schematic to the MV2F so that will scan and go into my website. Same drill as before, it goes to all who needs it and cannot be sold.

Nightmare Tony

I think it would be cool if we could also create the equivalent of the CPS2 Yellow 'Rental' boards wherein we fill carts full of EPROMS in configurations that would support multiple release 'configurations'. It would make it easier for people to eventually have access to multiple homebrews without buying into different carts.

KEWL, never heard of that configuration (I am pissed at Capcom due to a personal reason), but still kewl.

The easier to homebrew entry, themore fun things we will see.

I am hoping for an Ultima 1 clone, myself....

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Real engineers such as NTM can make a generic board type to sell for a low cost of blank boards with certain chips in them, such as the 257.

Need Billy's help to be able to draw up a schematic of the programming board I sold you since it uses 8 bit eproms and has the link circuit. While not showstoppers, those will help get things foward and tis good to give back to the community.

Ohhh no, I am not a real engineer, but thanks for that.

DSCF0234.jpg

This one may be better since it has both MVS and Home connections.

I'm happy to help in this, but with work lately my projects have taken a back burner.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter

And Tony asked me to put it on hardMVS as well at the time, after it was removed from sale...

http://hardmvs.com/html/Downloads.htm

@Tony, I do need to do a complete overhaul of the hardMVS layout soon. So if you want to have all this data hosted on there I can do that for you.

This sounds like a great idea and gives me the push to start the re-design.

Nightmare Tony

And Tony asked me to put it on hardMVS as well at the time, after it was removed from sale...

http://hardmvs.com/html/Downloads.htm

@Tony, I do need to do a complete overhaul of the hardMVS layout soon. So if you want to have all this data hosted on there I can do that for you.

This sounds like a great idea and gives me the push to start the re-design.

thanks and would definitely love to. Might upgrade my webite storage so I can add it in there.

For designing the software and things Ic annot since I am still doing the pinball project and working with chemo.

By hopefully adding to tghe knowledge pool, we all benefit from it and not be held hostage to new games for one reason or another.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
sounds good, let me know what you need from me and when.

I will start soon on the site overhaul and then we can easily add new sections as we need... keep me posted.

Anyway, great idea Tony and only happy to help as I can.. can do the website but can't do technical.. i'll leave that to NTM, Jef, Raz, XX XX and the plenty of other great techy guys we have here.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

I will start soon on the site overhaul and then we can easily add new sections as we need... keep me posted.

Anyway, great idea Tony and only happy to help as I can.. can do the website but can't do technical.. i'll leave that to NTM, Jef, Raz, XX XX and the plenty of other great techy guys we have here.

I can't be in that group, I'm only a novice, we need MKL if anything, he's like the Chuck Norris of the Neo world.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I can't be in that group, I'm only a novice, we need MKL if anything, he's like the Chuck Norris of the Neo world.

Chuck Norris is an understatement. :shame:

The man is Miyamoto Musashi.

images

Last edited:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter

Yeah I know, he defo knows his shit... just not seem him on here for ages and he escaped me when I posted.

...and don't play yourself down buddy... you provide tons of great technical advice to the members of this site... so for me you are on the list, it is not all about producing new PCBs :D

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter

View attachment 3238

I'm happy to help in this, but with work lately my projects have taken a back burner.

View attachment 3238

That board would be awesome if you could shrink it to standard cart size with a switch so games can easily be played on both systems. Be great for new releases.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
You know, I'm sure some progress could be made now that the Universal Bios 3.1 can be used to pipe games to the Neo Geo CD (I'm not sure about the details but that's what my impression of the video released was).

Nightmare Tony

We all jump in with our own level of expertise. This is not an elite only thing but a throw together, everyone brings their own knowledge.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This thread makes me all giddy with anticipation! I'm not good with any of this development stuff, but the idea of a greatly expanded homebrew scene and hardware support for the neo is mad exciting, probably the thing that I would like to see most coming out of a community like this one.

Keep up the good work everybody, and good luck! you guys rock :p