which power supply?

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
5v - 9v are the PSU for different AES systems (they changed version over the years) however you sure you don`t have an EU system? US systems work with 120v while here in the Malta like UK we use 240v, so it could be not the problem with the AES board but the external power supply, not for your region it could be PAL(europe), NTSC/U(usa) and NTSC-J(asia)

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
actually did you ever switch on that AES? if its a 120v and u plugged into a 240v some fuses or components might get fried, so it could be a good idea to ask someone technical here to check those parts first of all...I have no idea what they are...my AES is still in the post :)

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Pro-Pow-E is a 9v but I always say to check the board and not the label under the console exactly because of situations like this. Your console sticker says it's a 9v system but in the picture it looks like someone converted it to a 5v system.

theMot

10 Year Member
How can you tell on the board which power supply it needs anyway?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How can you tell on the board which power supply it needs anyway?

Near the reset button if you see a 3 pin green device it is a 5v system, in your pic it is to the left of the reset button. If you see a 5 pin device below the reset button then it is a 9v-13v system. In your pic the space is empty below the reset button where the shiny metal plate is showing.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, that'll do. Just remember the tip needs to be 2.3-2.5mm and negative.

theMot

10 Year Member
Yes, on those adapters you can change the polairty and it comes with spare tips in different sizes so it's all good.

Fingers crossed the system isn't dead from using the 9v on it...

Thanks once again Xian.

theMot

10 Year Member
I can confirm the 5v psu works and the system is still working! Phewww

Thanks for saving the life of another neo xian!

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
US systems work with 120v while here in the Malta like UK we use 240v, so it could be not the problem with the AES board but the external power supply, not for your region it could be PAL(europe), NTSC/U(usa) and NTSC-J(asia)
The console region makes no difference what so ever. The output of the transformer still needs to be what the board requires.

Tom i dont know why your system is rigged up the way it is, but a PRO-POW-E is a 10v power supply, i have one here. Whoever modded it has not indicated on the base that its now a 5 volt rig. Why they changed it to 5 volts i have no idea...

Our outlets here are 240v
230v is nominal single phase voltage in Australia since 2007.
Rookie errors eh....
Certainly not. You were mislead, nothing rookie about that!!

theMot

10 Year Member
All good neo casey man! Thanks for your help to during this ordeal lol

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
230v is nominal single phase voltage in Australia since 2007.

oww so u mean before 2007 Australia was on 120v like the states and then changed everything what???
Here in Malta it`s 240v just like the Uk since ... erm... always...

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
No mate, prior to 2007 nominal voltages in Australia were 240v single phase and 415v 3 phase. It is now 230v and 400v. Such a small difference has little to no effect, as youll rarely see exact nominal voltage at the outlets due to the voltage variation with varied amounts of load ( adding load pulls voltage down ).

Ill send you a message with abit of useless info...