What anime are you watching?

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Watched the first ep of Space Dandy on my Korean Blu-ray (seems to be a straight clone of the Japanese volumes), and that is some crazy fucking shit.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm very disappointed by the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders anime.
The old OAV of Stardust Crusaders were darker and more serious, I prefer the old version.
Actual version is too soft, I think they want it to be for a large audience no matter the age. Too much based on humour.
I was hopping a lot of this season of "Jojo's ventures".
I continue to watch it but I'm disapponted, specially when I look back on the 2 first seasons which were much better.
Did you read the manga? Cuz the anime has been pretty spot on with how the manga was.

I just started watching it for the first time the other day. On Episode 7 right now. Not to bad. Pretty impressed with the quality for a show that came out 24 years ago.
Wait until you get to the Dark Tournament arc, it gets fucking awesome at that point.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I just started watching it for the first time the other day. On Episode 7 right now. Not to bad. Pretty impressed with the quality for a show that came out 24 years ago.

Really solid series, personally I lost interest when it just became a show about tournament fights but it's still a cool show, fun fact for those who don't know, the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho is married to the creator of Sailor Moon

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Really solid series, personally I lost interest when it just became a show about tournament fights but it's still a cool show, fun fact for those who don't know, the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho is married to the creator of Sailor Moon
What didn't you like about the tournaments?

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Did you read the manga? Cuz the anime has been pretty spot on with how the manga was.

I read it but long time ago, I'll read it again to compare.
I love the old OAV, if I remember well it was more serious and dark (I saw it years ago).
I'm gonna watch it again and read the mangas to refresh my memory :)

I also begin yuyu hakusho recently, I stop at something like episode 20 and I really enjoy it.
First time I look this anime. No manner the years, the anime is cool.
A little classic about the story line but pretty cool like Dragon Ball Z can be, with good fights a good universe and characters and that's enought to have a good moment :)

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
What didn't you like about the tournaments?

I really liked the initial set up of the series with Yusuke being a "spirit detective" and going through cases to take down rogue demons/spirits, I feel like the larger emphasis on fights sort of took something away from how strong the series started, at least for me

The tournaments are good and there's more character moments sprinkled throughout them than a lot of other action heavy series have but it turned me off from the show for whatever reason, I still appreciate the show and it's a nostalgic series for me, having watched it back when it was airing on Toonami for the first time

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I really liked the initial set up of the series with Yusuke being a "spirit detective" and going through cases to take down rogue demons/spirits, I feel like the larger emphasis on fights sort of took something away from how strong the series started, at least for me

The tournaments are good and there's more character moments sprinkled throughout them than a lot of other action heavy series have but it turned me off from the show for whatever reason, I still appreciate the show and it's a nostalgic series for me, having watched it back when it was airing on Toonami for the first time
Idk the fighting and storyline of the Dark Tournament compared to the first part is quite different but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. What I really like about that arc and the series in general was the sheer diversity of characters. Everyone was unique and memorable.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Idk the fighting and storyline of the Dark Tournament compared to the first part is quite different but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. What I really like about that arc and the series in general was the sheer diversity of characters. Everyone was unique and memorable.
I can agree that the new characters introduced in that part of the show were definitely interesting and memorable, like I said, just didn't scratch the same itch for me, no biggie :)

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Yu Yu Hakusho is a good watch. Was able to buy the 4 DVD sets for $7.99 each a couple of holidays ago.

Another favorite of mine is starting this weekend on Toonami...Gurren Lagann :buttrock:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was watching the Animax channel and it made me cringe. The state of the industry today is literally embarrassing.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Watched the first ep of Space Dandy on my Korean Blu-ray (seems to be a straight clone of the Japanese volumes), and that is some crazy fucking shit.

I started watching it too (on hulu), good stuff.
If you haven’t seen it already, check out Redline.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Got Redline on BD way back ;) I like the style in Space Dandy more because it's closer to "normal" anime.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Friday's JoJo was pretty golden. Not gonna spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but you learn that Kakyoin is someone you do not mess with.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yu Yu Hakusho is a good watch. Was able to buy the 4 DVD sets for $7.99 each a couple of holidays ago.

Another favorite of mine is starting this weekend on Toonami...Gurren Lagann :buttrock:
Gurren Lagann is so epic. I remember watching the original run on SyFy.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
So I've been watching some older anime. I'd say I've taken a liking to Heavy Metal L Gaim and City Hunter.

nork69

Marked Wolf
10 Year Member
I'm big fan of BeRserk, is there something available in that ''kind'' ?
Ideas for me ??

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I'm big fan of BeRserk, is there something available in that ''kind'' ?
Ideas for me ??

as in super violent? Or that whole medieval period type of show?

If you haven't seen it Fist of the Northstar has a similar level of graphic violence, and as far as the medieval stuff goes you might want to check out Claymore

And there's always Record of Lodoss War

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Lodoss war is a classic. Everyone has seen it by now, but attack on titan is also violent in a medieval setting.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Lodoss war is a classic. Everyone has seen it by now, but attack on titan is also violent in a medieval setting.

I was going to say Titan but figured it was another one most people have seen by now, there's definitely similarities there for people who dig Berserk

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I'm working on Psycho-Pass right now, it reminds me of minority report + judge dredd + ghost in the shell SAC. In other words, it's fantastic.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Anyone else watch the Kill La Kill OVA? I personally enjoyed it.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Anyone else watch the Kill La Kill OVA? I personally enjoyed it.

I havent seen the ova, but I watched the whole main series again immediately after finishing it, so I'm definitely interested :)

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
Got Redline on BD way back ;) I like the style in Space Dandy more because it's closer to "normal" anime.

Watching Season 2 of Space Dandy. It's getting weirder and weirder, more of the ancillary characters are getting fleshed out, I absolutely love it.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
as in super violent? Or that whole medieval period type of show?

If you haven't seen it Fist of the Northstar has a similar level of graphic violence, and as far as the medieval stuff goes you might want to check out Claymore

And there's always Record of Lodoss War

I'll make a strong 2nd vote on Claymore. The anime is great, it follows the manga without missing much on the detail (60% of each volume is fight scene pages and the effect noises) but deviates around volume 10 of the manga, as the series was still ongoing. Still worth the watch.

The manga is ending in 2 more volumes in Japan (think we have 3 more coming). Thats also worth the pick up if anyone has even remotely considered it. Raki is so much better in the manga too.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'll make a strong 2nd vote on Claymore. The anime is great, it follows the manga without missing much on the detail (60% of each volume is fight scene pages and the effect noises) but deviates around volume 10 of the manga, as the series was still ongoing. Still worth the watch.

The manga is ending in 2 more volumes in Japan (think we have 3 more coming). Thats also worth the pick up if anyone has even remotely considered it. Raki is so much better in the manga too.

Claymore is in my top 10 of all time. I love how you watch someone very weak grow to an almost beast of a person by the time it ends. Lot of rage and revenge in that one. One of the best.