I wanna see your stick

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have a dark blue one from there on my HRAP. Quality stuff, but slightly over priced. Also, keep in mind (at least if you aren't laying some art over the panel) that the colors are darker than you'd expect. My dark blue is practically black.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Does anyone know where I can still find a HRAP for PS2? All the ones I see around are for PS3 or XBox.
Good call. Buy one you can use with anything, including a supergun. There are PS2 adapters for every system.

Good call. Buy one you can use with anything, including a supergun. There are PS2 adapters for every system.
Yeah, there are adapters the convert PS2 to ANYTHING, but not PS£ to PS2... sucks. Which is why I want one for the PS2... too bad they're SO HARD to find.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Unfortunately unless you live in Japan or something, finding HRAP2s brand new is easier said than done. You'll probably have to look for a used one.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
:buttrock:

Props on the colors, style and most of all the very sharp looking Macross VF-1J valk theme/graphics. VERY, VERY NICE.

Yeah that was a very fun project to do the art for. The art ended up coming out better than I expected. Though the icing on the cake was Dino's idea to stain the plastic red and clear buttons with artwork inside.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I bought a sanwa'd DC stick off of a member. It was white and pink with a pink bubble top, but I changed it to look like an Astro 2P with a meshball.

SAM_0196.JPG

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
My buddy Bryan made this stick for me for the 360. It's the nicest stick I've ever owned. I requested the extra 7th button to make it both Street Fighter and Neo friendly.

n609H.jpg

CzAyV.jpg

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
in this pic im missing my ps2/360 SFAC, and x arcade, im also missing my ackteck stick which ill be picking up next week.

i have on order a MK stick for 360 (where can i play UMK?) and im on the market for a TES for ps3

Picture014.jpg

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
My buddy Bryan made this stick for me for the 360. It's the nicest stick I've ever owned. I requested the extra 7th button to make it both Street Fighter and Neo friendly.

n609H.jpg

CzAyV.jpg

That is beautiful, What are the buttons?,

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
grad.jpg

I have another too but have to dig it out.... this is my daily driver

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Yeah that was a very fun project to do the art for. The art ended up coming out better than I expected. Though the icing on the cake was Dino's idea to stain the plastic red and clear buttons with artwork inside.

Definitely a great job to you both. Especially with your art. I'd love to get a custom stick one day, all my sticks are pretty much stock minus swapped stick/buttons here and there. I just don't really have a good idea as to what I'd really want in terms of a stick for fighters/shmups. My pipe dream though is to have someone build me an "Ikari Warriors" stick with an original SNK LS-30 and an adaptation of the original Ikari Warriors control panel art.

Also, very nice art on these 2 sticks below:

Last edited:

firebrand

New Challenger
x1 360 and x2 Xbox

Since one of my sticks has been posted I thought I would show three more that I had made for myself. All are wireless.
x1 360, x2 Xbox

KOF_01.jpg
KOF_02.jpg

SamSpirits_01.jpg
SamSpirits_02.jpg

MvC2_01.jpg
MvC2_02.jpg

MvC2_03.jpg

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Are those concave happs? Gross!

Nice looking sticks though!

firebrand

New Challenger
Haha yeah they are concave happ buttons, I don't care for the sanwa/seimitsu convex buttons myself. Grew up with american arcades and you won't find sanwa very often on american cabs. I'm just used to those controls.

I, of course, bought a Madcatz TE when they first hit the shelves but I don't care for it much. No incline, convex sanwa buttons, standard square gate restrictor plate, wired, just didn't really care for it. They are definitely the best production sticks on the market though and glad madcatz finally made something worth buying.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Haha yeah they are concave happ buttons, I don't care for the sanwa/seimitsu convex buttons myself. Grew up with american arcades and you won't find sanwa very often on american cabs. I'm just used to those controls.

I, of course, bought a Madcatz TE when they first hit the shelves but I don't care for it much. No incline, convex sanwa buttons, standard square gate restrictor plate, wired, just didn't really care for it. They are definitely the best production sticks on the market though and glad madcatz finally made something worth buying.

Madcatz is still garbage, my PCB is fucking up all the time...

Just curious why concave happs buttons instead of convex competition happs?

America fuck yeah!
351721742.jpg

Last edited:

firebrand

New Challenger
I like the concave buttons because I know exactly where the edge of the button is without looking down or feeling around or anything, and you can tap any part of the button and get a good solid press versus issues I've had with the convex. I've only been building/modding sticks for 6 years or so and I've tried just about every brand/model of button and joystick by happ, seimitsu, and sanwa and my optimal setup is a Sanwa JLF with standard horizontal happ concave buttons. My second option is a happ competition stick as they are some damn awesome american sticks.

Overall despite the sanwa/seimitsu hype brought on by madcatz I prefer good ol happ or IL controls because well they are built like tanks and cheap to replace. Happ competitions can take a TON of punishment and still work flawlessly and you need nothing more than a cheap bag of cherry switches to keep your gear running smoothly. Sanwa is more sensitive but they are not cheap to repair, the sticks typically require you to replace the entire $12 board when a single switch goes bad and the buttons typically requires replacing the entire button. Not to mention they can't take a lot of punishment.

I basically started building sticks because there was nothing good on the market and nothing really worth modding (I was not a fan of hori and their weird button lay outs) and I wanted something that actually felt like you were standing at an old school arcade machine and I wanted them all to be wireless (can't even get a wireless market stick due to copyrights and such). My sticks went through a number of changes before I finalized the design that just felt right. Honestly my biggest complaint with the madcatz stuff was the lack of control panel incline. I usually sit on couch with the stick on my lap and the flat/box designs tend to slant away from me and it annoys me so mine have a slant to compensate.

In the end though its all preference, everyone is different and everyone prefers something a little different this is just what I prefer and what those who wanted Firebrand sticks preferred. Most who have ordered get what they want as far as hardware and button layout.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Joysticks have been a bit of a sore subject for me. No matter how many I bought, or how nice they were, or what configuration, I never jived with any of them. I felt handicapped using a stick. My moves would never come out right and I would get pounded. Had I lost the magic I once had? So I've bought and sold more than my fair share of sticks.

Then about a month ago, I thought all my worries would be over. I happened upon a Hori VLX RAP joystick for less than half price. Yes, this is the Ferrari of sticks! I just knew this would be the turning point. After a few weeks of play, I was no better nor did I feel acclimated to the stick. It still felt off.

One day, as I was burning some time before a meeting, I stopped by a local pool hall to drop a few quarters. There was a Street Fighter II machine. The second I started playing it I felt at home. My hands worked like they should and the moves came out spot on. It dawned on me! I've been using Japanese style stick with a ball top and convex Japanese style buttons. I was raised on American bat top sticks with concave American buttons!

It was that day I put my Hori VLX for sale and started on a quest to build my ultimate joystick. As fate would have it, I stumbled upon an old Pelican arcade stick I bought years ago. Funny thing was I had taken it apart and even went to the trouble of putting all the screws and parts in baggies. It was one of those mod projects that never got off the ground. So I gutted it out and bought me an IL joystick as close to the ones in the original SFII cab with some HAPP concave buttons. Then I bought a Toodles Cthulhu PCB for PS3/360/PC.

The parts came in today, and I have to say, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Slapped on the wires with the quick disconnects, grounded everything, connected all the wires to the right hookups, and wha-la, I have a new joystick. The wiring is a bit of a mess, but that's why it's got a bottom cover. And let me tell you, I've finally fallen back in love with sticks (yea I know that does sounds wrong). After trying to use all the other "great" sticks, I went back to what worked for me in my youth and my game has improved ten fold.

I'll be doing some custom art (already got a cool idea for how the red joystick will be implemented into the art). Though for now it doesn't look to bad and it works. I couldn't be happier. Moral of the story, play what feels right to you, not what others tell you is "the best".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/s7cbassplayer/DSCN0507.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/s7cbassplayer/DSCN0504.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/s7cbassplayer/DSCN0508.jpg

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
So I've finished up my joystick. This took much longer than I expected.

Custom art was done by me. I'm a big fan of Jedah from Darkstalkers. And one of my favorite attacks is his Prova=di=Servo super (The one where he slits his wrist, a huge hand of blood comes up from the ground, grabs the opponent, slams them into a contract in blood, and he sucks their soul into his chest). So the joystick is coming out of his chest and the buttons are the bloody signature on the contract.

It's pixelated, but that was done on purpose. I'm a big fan of pixel artwork.

The plex was a pain in the arse to cut. The first sheet I busted. The second sheet went much better. I've filed the edges down for the most part, but there is still just a bit more finishing work I need to do.

If I could give any tip to aspiring joystick modders, it would be patience. Don't rush and research a lot. I think it came out great for my first mod.

DSCN0547.jpg

DSCN0546.jpg

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Looking sweet. I'll meet ya online later to give the stick a workout.

Also, how hard is it to mod a Dreamcast Green Goblin? Mine has been sticking on me ever since I got it back in 99' and I'd love to mod it with Sanwa parts, but keep it as a DC stick, because I still love to play it once and awhile.