Mai Shiranui In KOF: Sky Stage

aria

Former Moderator
I don't understand why people aren't trying to form a grass-roots lobby to get that soup in stores, like, yesterday.

prosolis

n00b
I wonder what the chances are that this will be released outside of Japan since this is a Xbox Live game.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Sadly, I have no idea about the origin of that image. I remember seeing it years ago. I just googled "Bogardee" since it was relevant to the discussion about spreading the KOF brand.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
You may not like Capcom and that is entirely your prerogative.

Someone around here's been seriously misinformed.

I'm the Capcom fan I am today because of Mega Man.

Unfortunately for Capcom, aside from Mega Man, they're not doing anything with their classic franchises I like aside from Bionic Commando and I'm not really interested in any of their new franchises, new ventures or any of the classic franchises their investing in lately (I'd rather have a new Darkstalkers or Rival Schools than another SF or Vs game, but that's just me.).

As crappy as everyone considers most of SNKPs games, I still find myself remotely interested in them.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Someone around here's been seriously misinformed.

I'm not misinformed about anything you said. I took your comments at face value without considering any of your opinions regarding Capcom.

Unfortunately for Capcom, aside from Mega Man, they're not doing anything with their classic franchises I like aside from Bionic Commando and I'm not really interested in any of their new franchises, new ventures or any of the classic franchises their investing in lately (I'd rather have a new Darkstalkers or Rival Schools than another SF or Vs game, but that's just me.).

If you have a personal distaste for what Capcom is doing with their franchises these days, more power to you. I'm not telling you that you should like SF IV just because everybody else does. Regardless of your personal tastes, however, that game is making them money because it is a well constructed, COMPLETE game and has attached itself to the consumer base, enough so to justify a follow up release next year.

In fact, SF IV has been marked down as part of the 'greatest hits' collections for the respective platforms. By way of comparison, KOF XII is selling for $11 US in Japan just to get the fucking things out of the stores. There's a big difference. One makes money, one makes store owners sick to keep around.

The fact that they are an industry giant means they know what they're doing.

You claimed that it was debatable whether they knew what they were doing or not. But that simply isn't true. They DO know. You just don't LIKE what they're doing. That's a different argument entirely, and not at all the point I was making to begin with.

As crappy as everyone considers most of SNKPs games, I still find myself remotely interested in them.

Again, while your personal tastes are whatever they are, the fact that you have interest in SNK-P's products is a personal preference and not at all a reflection on Capcom's ability to thrive in today's market.

Your affection for SNK-P isn't going to suddenly fill their coffers through some emotional cause and effect any more than your distaste for Capcom's current output is going to knock them off their perch.

They are where they are because they know how to make games people like and are absolutely thriving by that, enough so that the occasional commercial flop (like Bionic Commando, a game I actually liked) isn't a nearly crippling blow to them that forces them to adjust their business plans and kill off a bunch of titles just to keep from going under.

SNK-P is the exact opposite of that.

Hence, my accurate iteration that SNK-P doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground.

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
I think we're all losing sight of the real issue at hand:
And she has a new voice actress as well.
Sky Stage is utilizing all the tried-and-true voice actors for the game's cast except for Sogi Akoya?!? :blow_top::mad::very_ang::angry: Koshimizu Ami has a respectable resume, to be sure, but one of the things I've always loved about SNK was their consistency when it came to the actors behind their characters' voices -- Mai's rather distinctive voice, in particular.

--Chris

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I take it you never play SS Tenka Chris?

Besides this wouldn't really be the first time someone's voice was changed.

Didn't Terry and Andy received new voice actors when FF3 came out?

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Tenka was really just a playground for a whole series of new voice actors. We saw for ourselves how that worked out. It was so bad that SNKP had to redub half of the cast for the Anthology release.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
I take it you never play SS Tenka Chris?

Besides this wouldn't really be the first time someone's voice was changed.

Didn't Terry and Andy received new voice actors when FF3 came out?

I'm not saying SNK never changes voice actors -- and I was less than happy with a number of the casting changes in Tenkaichi, yeah -- but in general I find that SNK seems to keep the same voice actor assigned to a recurring character more frequently and over longer stretches of time than, say, Capcom. In some cases, it's interesting to hear a new actor's spin on an established character, but with characters like Mai, Terry, Joe, Kim, and Choi -- who've consistently been voiced by the same actors for about 15 years now -- it does bug me to see someone new take the role. Especially when the rest of the Sky Stage cast (so far, anyway) have their standard voice actors assigned to them. Since I particularly enjoy Mai's voice, the change is a little more irritating coming on the heels of her absence from KOF XII.

--Chris

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
I remember they either changed Mai's voice actress around KoF 97 or 98, or they just had her redo the voices. Either way it sounded worse than it did before. I'm rather happy that they decided to change voice actresses. I just hope she's good.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
I just hope she's good.
I don't doubt that she'll turn in a fine performance. With lead or major roles like Tsukamoto Tenma in School Rumble, Nadja Applefield in Ashita no Nadja, Anemone in Eureka Seven, and Kallen Stadtfeld in Code Geass, she's obviously got the goods. I'm just old, set in my ways, and frightened by change. :p Given that Sogi Akoya is 41 y.o. now, perhaps SNK wanted to go with a younger-sounding voice.

--Chris

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
verbal beatdown

I'm not surprised that Yeldell didn't respond to this. I've read many, many posts of him shitting on Capcom games (mainly Street Fighter), so you wouldn't be wrong to assume that he has a distaste for the company. I just think it's funny he hates the company's games so much that it clouds his judgement as to how a successful company operates.

I mean, I hate McDonalds but I'm not dumb enough to say it's a poorly run business model.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think the point YeldellGW was trying to make was that successful or not, you may still disagree with the decisions Capcom makes with the games themselves. I'm sure he was not implying that SNKP was more successful, that would just be retarded and not worth debating. Clearly SNKP is milking the KOF and Slugs for all they're worth, but that doesn't mean that Capcom has any good ideas for its franchises lately either.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I wouldn't mind a new darkstalker's game. I think it'd be pretty damn awesome actually.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I think the point YeldellGW was trying to make was that successful or not, you may still disagree with the decisions Capcom makes with the games themselves. I'm sure he was not implying that SNKP was more successful, that would just be retarded and not worth debating. Clearly SNKP is milking the KOF and Slugs for all they're worth, but that doesn't mean that Capcom has any good ideas for its franchises lately either.

The argument was always about the business model of Capcom.

Which is not in question.

However you want to judge their ideas for game franchises is irrelevant. They make Capcom money and are generally considered to be quality products, and so they are embraced by the gaming community as a whole.

So Yelldell's point, all due to respect to him, is moot as any kind of response to my comments.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Yes. Capcom need to make a new installment for the Darkstalkers series. Capcom vs SNK 3, Rival Schools 3, and Marvel vs Capcom 3 as well.

We have a better chance of seeing all three of those released then a single new fatal fury.

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
Sadly, I have no idea about the origin of that image. I remember seeing it years ago. I just googled "Bogardee" since it was relevant to the discussion about spreading the KOF brand.

But can you remember where you saw it?

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
I'm not surprised that Yeldell didn't respond to this. I've read many, many posts of him shitting on Capcom games (mainly Street Fighter), so you wouldn't be wrong to assume that he has a distaste for the company. I just think it's funny he hates the company's games so much that it clouds his judgement as to how a successful company operates.

I'd say get your damn facts straight, but if it didn't work once on this topic...

SSS

neo retired
shouldn't this be called KOS? (king of shooters?)

I can't wait for the new Sam Sho themed game SNKP's making for the DS:

"Cooking with Earthquake: Sweat Treats and Gravy Covered Goodies"

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'd say get your damn facts straight, but if it didn't work once on this topic...

Instead of throwing blind statements at myself, why don't you try your hand at the original guy you were arguing with. I've called you out plenty of times; what's being said here is certainly not the first. So, don't be a hypocrite and try getting some facts yourself. Or, gloss over logic like you've already done and try and change the subject to Samurai Shodown...

I mean, roffles..

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
There's no argument to be had here as it regards Capcom, really.

They are successful business model that makes popular games that fans like.

The sales numbers prove that they are a competently run company. Most of their franchises have sales figures in the millions for total units sold.

People don't have to like Capcom. People may not enjoy Capcom's games. People may call them complete and utter shit. That's their opinion and they are very welcome to it.

But what's NOT an opinion is that they are a successfully run company. That means that people, by and large, enjoy their games.

That's the only point I was making. And no matter how much someone may hate Capcom, the point remains valid and true.

If SNK-P knew what the fuck it was doing, KOF XII wouldn't have been the abortion it ended up being. I am not casing on KOF XII here because I hate KOF XII (although I do.) I am using it, by way of example, to show that if SNK-P doesn't know how to successfully release their flagship franchise for home consoles in a competent and professional manner, they don't know which end is up.

Even their marketing lies and PR spin ('KOF XII will be a 'back to basics' fighter', for example) are amateurish and cut rate.

No matter how many highways of minutae logic you want to speed down to try and say otherwise, all roads lead to the same destination in this case.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Even their marketing lies and PR spin ('KOF XII will be a 'back to basics' fighter', for example) are amateurish and cut rate.
Now XII isn't even that? How far are you taking this thing?

Capcom is a much bigger enterprise at this point. No matter how you spin it, you're hating on the little guy. You cannot expect the same level of presentation on a smaller budget. Not these days, when everyone expects a high-budget title for their money.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Now XII isn't even that? How far are you taking this thing?

Capcom is a much bigger enterprise at this point. No matter how you spin it, you're hating on the little guy. You cannot expect the same level of presentation on a smaller budget. Not these days, when everyone expects a high-budget title for their money.

Blazblue.

Argument over.