Whining sound coming from Astro City

hindered

n00b
My Astro City has an intermittent whine/squeal coming from the monitor. I assume this is coming from the flyback? Is there a repair/fix or do I need to eventually replace it? Any source for flybacks for a Nanao ms8-29?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,

hindered

n00b
Thanks for the link. I might take a closer look at the flyback this weekend and see what I can find.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I just made sure everything was screwed down, the flyback to chassis, and the chassis to cab, it hasn't returned but I haven't done much testing yet so it might. :(

hindered

n00b
I just made sure everything was screwed down, the flyback to chassis, and the chassis to cab, it hasn't returned but I haven't done much testing yet so it might. :(

Thanks kernow.. Chassis to cab is probably pretty snug, but I didn't poke around the flyback when I had the chassis out... I'll check it tonight.

I'm guessing it makes sense to discharge the anode before futzing with this, right?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Thanks kernow.. Chassis to cab is probably pretty snug, but I didn't poke around the flyback when I had the chassis out... I'll check it tonight.

I'm guessing it makes sense to discharge the anode before futzing with this, right?

IMO Yes...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Not really just for that, I just checked the screws clamping the flyback were tight, they were pretty loose actually.

I don't know if it solved it, I guess I'll find out soon though.

hindered

n00b
Not really just for that, I just checked the screws clamping the flyback were tight, they were pretty loose actually.

I don't know if it solved it, I guess I'll find out soon though.

I removed the shield from around the neckboard and it hasn't returned yet.. has to be coincidence -- I'm pretty sure the shield wasn't causing the whining noise. Nothing else I did managed to get it to go away, though...

hindered

n00b
I removed the shield from around the neckboard and it hasn't returned yet.. has to be coincidence -- I'm pretty sure the shield wasn't causing the whining noise. Nothing else I did managed to get it to go away, though...

Although I still refuse to believe the shield was causing the whining noise... the shield is still out and the whining has yet to return. ?_? Could still be coincidence, I suppose.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
What shield is that? got a pic?

I havent recently set my b+ values back to factory, maybe that helped stop it also.

hindered

n00b
What shield is that? got a pic?

I havent recently set my b+ values back to factory, maybe that helped stop it also.

I don't have a pic handy but will try to remember to take one this weekend. It was attached to the back of the monitor frame via a metal bar, and it looked kind of like one of those cones a dog sometimes wears to keep it from biting at its stitches... except it's metal and has a square base. It fits around the neckboard, much like a lampshade over a lightbulb.

Last edited: