The Michael Vick Poll, NG.com style

Should Michael Vick have been reinstated to the NFL?

• Total voters

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Venom! Hate! Malice!

But surely everyone deserves a second chance, no? Dude served his time?

But the motherfucker killed dogs! And he had a rape stand! (oh come on, who doesn't have a rape stand! Wait, nevermind that last part.).

Anyway, yes or no, you think Mike Vick should have been allowed back into the NFL? As of right now, he's a member of the Philadelphia Eagles, can participate in all functions except for games, and he's cleared for games after week 6. NFL reinstatement is contingent upon good behavior per Commissioner Goodell's say so. Contract with the Iggles is for $1.6 mil this year, team option for $5.2 next year, very incentive based.

But that's all just gibberish. The question stands apart, I suppose- YES means you agree that he should have been allowed back. NO means he should have been banned for life. Ain't no compromises, ala Stallworth (and soon-to-be Plax) type one year off shit.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Look I'm no PETA member, I don't think he should die or spend the rest of his life in jail, but I'll be damned if he deserves a million+ dollar salary either.

Edit: and Jro is very sexy, as well.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
there are worst things then dog fighting( iam not saying it's right but compare to murder rape and drugs.. dog fighting it's on the bottom of the list cause it' the lease harm/effect to people property and $$, as the justice system show that the crime/punishment is directly in related to the scale of damage cause to people and property and $$)

he did his time and paid his debt. Beside he's hell of a players .. any sports league is like a union once your in and paid your union fees they'll take care of your especially when it's a prolific player like Michael Vick. also hell of a deal for the eagles.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
This is what's interesting to me about this whole deal, is the actual numbers (yes I know that's not a sentence FUCK ME SIDEWAYS FO MAH GRAMMA wait a).

See all these protests and hear all the vitriol and stuff, but then the polls all say yeah let him play.

Was curious if that would be the case on here, too. Is so far (small sample size so far, I know).

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
aww no 'don't give a fuck' option

or even a 'fuck jro and his shitty sports threads' option

:crying:

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Look I'm no PETA member, I don't think he should die or spend the rest of his life in jail, but I'll be damned if he deserves a million+ dollar salary either.
Get everyone to stop watching the NFL, stop buying overpriced merchandise, and stop paying overpriced gate charges, and then you'd have an argument against Vick instead of the people who support the stupid game he plays.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Guy did his time (way more than what I thought was reasonable) and has been rehabilitated. There's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be allowed into the NFL. That's just as retarded as saying he shouldn't be hired any place.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I vodet yes for the same reason as everyone else...dude did his time for the crime, nuff said.

Also, "Dick-Hugger Pants"? :tickled:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
He did his time. He deserves a second chance.

But if he fucks up again, no more chances IMO.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Guy did his time (way more than what I thought was reasonable) and has been rehabilitated. There's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be allowed into the NFL. That's just as retarded as saying he shouldn't be hired any place.

Second that, there is no excuse for what he did, but he did his time.

Philadelphia has gone from a 100% #1 football town to a 50% baseball and 50% football town (all sports radio talked about was the Eagles now it is 50/50), and the Eagles are close to being upstaged again by the Phillies.

The Phillies parade went through the Linc last year first (I give the Eagles props for allowing that as full of themselves as they can be) but Joe Banner, Jeffrey Lurie, and Andy Reid are hungry to bring a Super Bowl finally to this city to their credit even though I hate all of their "model organization BS" talk and their past cheapness. McNabb isn't getting any younger and there isn't much time left before they have to start again with Kevin Kolb (who is injured) who hasn't done shit when he's been given a shot. So to quote a certain video game company: THE FUTURE IS NOW

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

I'll respect other people's views, but there are some thoughts drifting in the back of my head:

This is probably his 100th chance. He only got *caught* once. Every stupid thing you do but don't get caught for is a chance. Further, If you know the consequences of your actions then it's not really a second chance, either. Your first chance was that of the person that got caught before you. This is why people don't do [these] things typically... because they know the consequences... not because they don't want to. He wasn't living in a box.

I want to know where my fuck-up-once-for-free card is. (And no, LoneSage, if I did that I would *not* get my job back).

Like everyone else here throwing out an opinion, I've never run across the guy in person so none of us can say whether he has been rehabilitated or not. However, I doubt he has changed much. I simply play the odds based on the screwups I have come across, and how they have never got any better.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
The dumbass did his time, he should get a second chance.
I really don't know this jro guy, but he seems the type that would enjoy meeting my "El Gigante". ^o^

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Like everyone else here throwing out an opinion, I've never run across the guy in person so none of us can say whether he has been rehabilitated or not.
For what it's worth, I believe there are two kinds of "rehabilitation" with respect to being an individual existing within a society: The first is "truly rehabilitated," in that the person now accepts they were wrong and holds enough remorse and newly-changed values that they won't do the same thing ever again. The second is "frightened rehabilitated," in that they hate the fact that they got caught and are afraid enough of being caught again (and dealing with the repercussions again) that they just won't do it.

If either of these happens, society as a whole doesn't have to worry about the person's actions because nothing "bad" will happen again. And in the end, it doesn't matter whether or not the person is suddenly a magical angel inside.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
For what it's worth, I believe there are two kinds of "rehabilitation" with respect to being an individual existing within a society: The first is "truly rehabilitated," in that the person now accepts they were wrong and holds enough remorse and newly-changed values that they won't do the same thing ever again.

...and hopefully they drop the rest of the bullshit they were up to but didn't get caught for, too.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Philadelphia is about the best place for Michael Vick can hope for. Here, the rowdy fans that even booed Santa Claus will make him a more mature human being by putting him in his place.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I don't think Vick should be allowed back. Goodell should make an example out of him! It's just like Pete Rose. Yea, he was the greatest hitter in baseball, but he fucked up big time, and now he has to pay but not getting into the Hall of Fame. I'm not saying gambling is like killing dogs, but the same principle applies. You do the crime, you do the time...

I may be biased because I have a two year old Siberian Husky that I would do anything for an love as much as the next pet owner does their pet, but still...

Vick made millions of dollars a year to play football. Was that not enough money for him to be entertained in his spare time that he couldn't do anything else but resort to dog fighting?

I hate to sound like an angry parent, but think about all the kids that looked up to him? Hell, my 11 year old nephew still has his Vick jersey in his closet. He used to wear it all the time, but now my sister refuses to let him wear it. Letting him play again is like telling a kid that it's ok to murder their pet as long as you're sorry and do something to make up for it.

I know Tony Dungy has been saying that Vick is concentrating on "bettering his life", but he's not even a month out of prison, and he's already practicing with the Eagles? Vick says he's sorry, and realizes he made a mistake, but I don't buy it. Is he really sorry? Is he really trying to change his life in a positive manner or is he just in a hurry to play in the NFL again so he can get back in the spotlight and make millions to pay off his fines?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't care about him being reinstated. That's the NFL's business and the NFL is a private entity with the right to employ whomever they choose.

I'm just sick of hearing about how "he's changed" or "he's done his time" or "he deserved another chance". Save that bullshit.

It takes a special kind of sick fuck to do what he did. He electrocuted dogs. He drowned dogs. He hanged dogs. He threw his pets into the ring with fighting dogs.

You don't do the kinds of things he did and then just wake up "changed" some day. He will never redeem himself in my eyes, and it sickens me to think that young children are in the care of this man. What if Charlie Manson or the Unabomber just decided that they had "changed" and were released from prison (Manson is up for parole in 2012)? Would you say that they deserve a second chance, or would you believe them if they said they had changed?

Obviously, killing a dog is not the same thing as killing a person. Killing a person is a universally worse offense. But the point remains; the kind of person who is willing to hold a dog's head under water with his own hands and watch the life leave its body is not the kind of person who feels remorse for his actions or suddenly becomes a good person.

He's telling people that he has changed because he needs to look good in public, otherwise the NFL won't let him play and he can't pay off his massive debt.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I don't care about him being reinstated. That's the NFL's business and the NFL is a private entity with the right to employ whomever they choose.

I'm just sick of hearing about how "he's changed" or "he's done his time" or "he deserved another chance". Save that bullshit.

It takes a special kind of sick fuck to do what he did. He electrocuted dogs. He drowned dogs. He hanged dogs. He threw his pets into the ring with fighting dogs.

You don't do the kinds of things he did and then just wake up "changed" some day. He will never redeem himself in my eyes, and it sickens me to think that young children are in the care of this man. What if Charlie Manson or the Unabomber just decided that they had "changed" and were released from prison (Manson is up for parole in 2012)? Would you say that they deserve a second chance, or would you believe them if they said they had changed?

Obviously, killing a dog is not the same thing as killing a person. Killing a person is a universally worse offense. But the point remains; the kind of person who is willing to hold a dog's head under water with his own hands and watch the life leave its body is not the kind of person who feels remorse for his actions or suddenly becomes a good person.

He's telling people that he has changed because he needs to look good in public, otherwise the NFL won't let him play and he can't pay off his massive debt.

Really good point. :buttrock: