Pioneer LaserActive...anyone own one of these monsters?

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I had all but forgotten, about this guy until coming across it again while bumming around Wiki...although expensive as all this system sounds awesome. It could play laserdiscs and be a Genesis/PC-E? I'm just curious about any information regarding it, especially from anyone that actually owns/owned one.

If you like you can look at the collection page, my collections are actually bigger now (I have all US/CAN released games), what questions do you have about the system?

http://www.neo-geo.com/gallery/collections/vincewy/Pic3.jpg

http://www.neo-geo.com/gallery/collections/vincewy/Pic4.jpg

As for NEC modules, I have bought and resold at least 12 of those from Yahoo Japan to eBay and my LaserActive group in the early 2000s to finance my collection. PAC-N1 (PC-Engine) is hard enough to find, PAC-N10 (TurboGrafx) is even harder to find. PAC-N1 can also play PC-ACD games with Arcade Card Duo [blue] (Arcade Card Pro [orange] will jam the module [I have tried]). Nonetheless, both modules can play all SCD games. Hucard games are only compatible with each respective system.

Genesis PAC-S10 and Mega Drive PAC-S1 modules can be really tricky, some games work and some don't. Since I don't have 1000s of Genny and MD games I don't know the compatibilities (this is one huge grey area). For Sega CD and MCD games, it works the same as the consoles in terms of compatibilities.

All LD games work with either Japanese or US modules LD-Rom2 and MegaLD. For the main deck I recommend getting the US one (correct voltage) as the main deck (CLD-A100) can house whichever module you have. In Japan, NEC also had their own LaserActive main deck that can also take any module.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
I have one with three of the four packs (no computer, and the american turbo grafx n10) and about a dozen games. I made a thread with pictures about a year ago. I like it because it condenses down a couple of systems.
Theres only about 4 original highly playable games for the system imo.
My favorite games are Hyperion (shooter),Ghost Rush (dungeon type game), Don Quixote (Rpg) and Im a huge fan of the Jb Harold games. The Manhattan Requiem wasnt released on any other systems and I believe and Blue Chicago Blue only came out for the Pc Fx and the Japanese Saturn and I would be surprised if they were in English.
Dont use the toslink for out put for carts and cards. Some old laserdisc dont support it either.
Ive had mine going on 8 years now and often consider selling it because theres alot of money tied up but then I wont have those games anymore.

Funny things is I dont ever remember hearing about it untill right before I bought one I used to work alot when It came out so maybe thats why I didnt know about it.

Last edited:

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I just picked up Hyperion based on your suggestion and I'm waiting for Pyramid Patrol to arrive. I've just been playing a lot of Triad Stone for the time being.

Also can you explain to me on what I need to do on Ghost Rush? I keep getting lost then I die.

Last edited:

Xavier

20 Year Member
The JB Harold came out in English?

I always wanted to play them.
Yeah on the laseractive.
Also the turbo has "murder club" or somthing on it, its a fun game and the pc engine version will go to english after playing around with the menu.

Xavier

20 Year Member
I just picked up Hyperion based on your suggestion and I'm waiting for Pyramid Patrol to arrive. I've just been playing a lot of Triad Stone for the time being.

Also can you explain to me on what I need to do? I keep getting lost then I die.
In triad stone? I havent played it hardly at all but its a cartoon rails game so usually you press up down left or right to avoid getting hit and the button to draw a weapon. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Damn it I meant Ghost Rush. What's the objective to GR? The game looks cool but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Xavier

20 Year Member
Damn it I meant Ghost Rush. What's the objective to GR? The game looks cool but I have no idea what I'm doing.

you gotta capture ghost then you sell them at the store up front, also I think you need to collect so many one of each jewel, you need to go up to such a level and down to XX level then fight the last guy. (this is what the notes that I find tell me)
I havent beat the game but I gotta have a world record for the most $ made.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
The most playable (also the best IMHO) are Road Prosecutor and Vajra 2, both games are very hard to find. Road Prosecutor (Road Blaster in Japan) is like Triad Stone, but in addition to the directions, there're combinations of turbo and breaks, making the game much more difficult. I have played this game through the end during the Neo gathering a few years ago. Vajra 2 isn't like Vajra, but an enhanced version of Pyramid Patrol, it's right in the middle of my collection pic3.

Don't bother with any of the adult games, trust me, they all suck. For reviews and pics, please check out Hans Reuter's website, I've lent him a few games to capture the cover and videos.

http://www.cyberroach.com/new_laseractive_pics/default.htm

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Okay, I'm stuck on the 2nd boss in Pyramid Patrol. How do you beat the pyramid thing? The stupid thing keep crashing into me.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Okay, I'm stuck on the 2nd boss in Pyramid Patrol. How do you beat the pyramid thing? The stupid thing keep crashing into me.

This is the main reason LD wasn't a good medium for video games, you need to beat the boss within allotted time, else you're done.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
This is the main reason LD wasn't a good medium for video games, you need to beat the boss within allotted time, else you're done.

Yeah but my copy of Hyperion came in the mail today. It's much better than Pyramid Patrol.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I need some help from some of you guys. I receive my copy of Space Berserker but it doesn't seem to play right. what I mean is, the video in the back ground works and the game is moving along like normal but I am not seeing the game overlay or any of the enemies. I blow the back of the Genesis module and some time I get the 16-bit overlay but that portion would just freeze. My other four games works fine with no issues, it's just this game. The Sega CD and Genesis functionality works fine.

Is my module faulty or maybe the lens dirty? Has anyone here experience this issue before?

The Laseractive games that I've tested and work fine are: Ghost Rush, Pyramid Patrol, Hyperion, & Triad Stone.

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
I picked one up a few years back. I'd love to get ahold of some more stuff for it though.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I need some help from some of you guys. I receive my copy of Space Berserker but it doesn't seem to play right. what I mean is, the video in the back ground works and the game is moving along like normal but I am not seeing the game overlay or any of the enemies. I blow the back of the Genesis module and some time I get the 16-bit overlay but that portion would just freeze. My other four games works fine with no issues, it's just this game. The Sega CD and Genesis functionality works fine.

Is my module faulty or maybe the lens dirty? Has anyone here experience this issue before?

The Laseractive games that I've tested and work fine are: Ghost Rush, Pyramid Patrol, Hyperion, & Triad Stone.

Sounds like your Sega PAC is shitting the bed. I also have a Sega PAC having some issues. My suggestion is try a soft new tooth brush and some 91+% Rubbing Alcohol and cleaning the contacts from the back of the PAC. If that doesnt fix it, you will need to repair the PAC. I however am no expert on fixing them. I have done quite a bit of work on my dying Sega PAC and it hasnt fixed anything. My suggestion is to try out a like new Sega PAC with the game before anything else. I doubt it is the disc unless it is heavily scratched, warped, or is full of laser rot.

I believe it is the Sega PAC slowly saying "bye bye"

Fakk2

If you think that boss is hard wait till you see the boss on Stage 7 with the swinging pendulums. Stage 2 Boss is cake in comparison.

Fakk2

FUCK! I'll try the cleaning the end tonight. Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah no problem. Its sad to see so many Sega PACs and Turbo PACs dying these days along with the consoles. :(

Also I decided to make a video for you on Pyramid Patrol. It may help you beat Stage 2. You already know my youtube channel. ;) Should be up by midnight PST.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Achieved a collection milestone recently! Finally got Time Gal for $920, I never thought I'd be able to obtain this thing for under $1000, I guess recession made the prices less insane, now I have all unique/distinct LaserActive games. Big thanks to Neo Bomberman for helping complete the transaction.

toshi_mzn-img600x600-1265327357a4pkxh23791.jpg

toshi_mzn-img600x600-1265327358yv8xag23791.jpg

I'm still looking for the following Japanese games, feel free to PM me if you spot one on eBay or Yahoo Japan:

MegaLD-

Blue Chicago Blues (I have US MegaLD and Jp LD-Rom2 versions)
Pretty Illusion
Pretty Illusion II
Road Blaster
Triadstone

LD-Rom2-

Goku (just found out it was also published for LD-Rom2, indeed VERY RARE)
Melon Brains

I kicked myself for either selling or passing up some of those games missed above, thinking they'd be easy to find again, but a few years ago I needed the money and had to resell a lot of the games in the package to minimize the cost of collecting.

note: I have stored my pics at AtariAge, once Yahoo Japan takes down the pics, you can view it here.

Last edited:
I bought this system based on the hype it gets but is just retarded, it´s just a conversation piece, exclusive games suck so badly it´s embarrasing the amount of money you forked to play that crap.

You are way better served with a high end LD player and genesis / pc engine equipment.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have two of these. Been looking for the Nec pac for a long time, but they are just going for way too much and are always being sold with the system. Also wanted the road prosecutor ld game, but thats almost impossible to find and its super expensive.

Just like Metal said, It really isn't all that, just something cool to have.

Xavier

20 Year Member
Achieved a collection milestone recently! Finally got Time Gal for $920, I never thought I'd be able to obtain this thing for under $1000, I guess recession made the prices less insane, now I have all unique/distinct LaserActive games. Big thanks to Neo Bomberman for helping complete the transaction.

I'm still looking for the following Japanese games, feel free to PM me if you spot one on eBay or Yahoo Japan:

MegaLD-

Blue Chicago Blues (I have US MegaLD and Jp LD-Rom2 versions)
Don Quixote
Pretty Illusion
Pretty Illusion II
Road Blaster
Triadstone

LD-Rom2-

Goku (unconfirmed)
Melon Brains

I kicked myself for either selling or passing up some of those games missed above, thinking they'd be easy to find again, but a few years ago I needed the money and had to resell a lot of the games in the package to minimize the cost of collecting.

Really I always thought it was a $400 game tops but I havent followed it to closely. I thought you allready had this game.
I saw Vajra 2 on Ebay a couple days ago for $265, offered the guy $215 shipped for it but it sold yesterday. A few weeks ago theres was an American Goku and Road Prosecutor and I bid $90 and $200 for them and was outbid. THats fine.

Hey can you post up some info on the 3d Australia disc?
What kind of game is Goku?

A nice Ebay laserdisc video game find I did get though.

I just need two more games to have the complete palcom collection, Rolling Blaster and Aushes Arunumilla.
For the laseractive I really want Vajra 2. Id buy Goku, Time Gal and Road Prosecutor if the price was right. But i could be looking for awhile.

Last edited:

Xavier

20 Year Member
I bought this system based on the hype it gets but is just retarded, it´s just a conversation piece, exclusive games suck so badly it´s embarrasing the amount of money you forked to play that crap.

You are way better served with a high end LD player and genesis / pc engine equipment.

Dont hate, congratulate!

Last edited:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Excellent score vincewy, yahoo japan?

Metallizer, I tend to disagree, yes some of the exclusives are lame, but the games available on other systems are best on LA!

Metallizer, I tend to disagree, yes some of the exclusives are lame, but the games available on other systems are best on LA!

I guess that makes this machine a glorified Philips' CD-i but I was never a fan of interactive movies, which is the lowest form of gaming that ever existed.

That´s not what dragged me into this system btw, it was a decade ago based on the false claim that it had enhanced audio capabilities via toslink, so I could play mega drive / pc engine games with high fidelity audio. I was pissed when I found that didn´t work.