how do you kids pay for this shit?!

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
really... i'm 24.. i've got 2 aes systems and about nine games...

the collections i've seen on here...........

sugar mommas?

trust funds?!

if thers some inside track hook a brother up

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
Either a high-paying job or months of saving up I'm guessing. =/

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
I'm only 25, but with a proper budget, I still managed to buy most of what I want. After two years of collecting, I have AES Metal Slug 1,2,X,3, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Garou, Magical Drop 2, among others, and a healthy savings account.

I actually do have a SugarMamma though. I get clothes, food, booze, and lots of sex. No direct money though.....yet. :cool:

ilazul

Enemy Chaser
trust funds?!

This. But I don't really pull from it, since I've been working since I was 13.

And I'm 24 too.

I collect MVS though, have 3 six slot machines (had a mvu-4, goldie and mini at one point in time), and after I Karnov's Revenge gets here I'll have 35 kits.

The real secret though, is selling your old shit. Sell your old games, collectibles, BS you once "HAD TO HAVE". And I stopped buying new games too, fuck shooters and GTA clones. I just focus on my living room arcade when I have money I'd usually shit down the toilet on games.

And most these collections are bought over time. Not all at once, so while it's a lot of money, it's spread across several years.

Oresama

Rugal's Thug
Most of us done got da jizzob. We be bigger badder better 4 life!!!

After that it comes down to priorities. I COULD have my place be nice and toasty all winter long. I COULD buy a nice house in the suburbs. I COULD buy a pimped out sports car to pimp hos with.

But being 25 and single (non sugar momma wives take too much money out of the cool shit budget) I can use my money where it will do the most good. I live in a townhouse in a not exactly great neighborhood, but after my neighbors saw me practicing kendo in the back yard a few minutes after he-maning arcades in they know not to mess with me.

I CHOOSE to pinch pennies on things like the food budget. Man can live on rice and ramen (not that crap they sell at American grocery stores, I'm talking REAL instant ramen) with the occaisional splurge for the cheap Chinese buffet, or yakiniku after getting a nice bonus. I CHOOSE drive a tinyass Honda Insight with its pimp 73 horsepower to save money on gas and car insurance. It doesn't like hills, but I don't like bills. I CHOOSE to put on two sweaters at home, because the cost of natural gas keeps going up and up, and I don't get any warmer for paying more.

That frees up money for more important things in life. I CHOOSE to take those pinched pennies and jet off to Thailand for a month. I CHOOSE to drop the coin when it counts - I just bought a Domy Theater 33, I'm going to be buying at least 2 Egret IIs, hopefully an Aero City and possibly a box truck to transport them home. I CHOOSE to get by with MP3s of Hayashibara Megumi-sama's voice instead of spending an ever increasing amount of money on attempting to import the real things from Japan as the dollar dies and the yen beats the living hell out of every currency on the planet.

In a world of scarce resources wealth and priorities decide to who they are distributed. This is one of the very basic lessons in economics. Or you could say that is the how the MEDIUM TYMER enjoys a small taste of what it's like to be a BIG TYMER!

Of course, there is an easy way to be become a BIG TYMER without the hassle of that whole getting skills that are worth something in the marketplace hassle. I tell my students (I teach IT professionals how to be better IT professionals) that security isn't what it should be at financial institutions, because they don't have the time to keep up with how quickly hackers evolve. Having worked at JPMorgam Chase and having enough access, as a temporary employee hired for one project, to give myself full access to every account in the company, I stand by that statement. All you've got to do is hack into a bank, initiate a few transfers to a Cayman account, buy SNKP, shut it down, resurrect NGF in its place (bringing the magazine back too!) and reopen Neo Geo Land stocked full with the Neo Candy 100 you'll invent to become the NEO GOD TYMER!

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm definately a low-roller. I built my own MVS, and I scrounged around until I found the games I wanted cheap. Then I stopped collecting. I am currently not looking for any more Neo stuff, just some parts to finish my custom controller. My modest collection of Neo Geo games runs like this: SamSho 1 & 2, Last Blade 1, MSlug 1 & 2, Neo Turf Masters, Puzzle Bobble and KOF '94. I have payed, in my estimate, about $170 on my whole game collection, plus another $70 or so on the consolized MVS project and $40 for a nice custom controller I am working on with all Japanese parts. This I did over the course of 2 years.

Of course, if I wanted to be a BIG TYMER then I wouldn't be going into Neo Geo, that's for sure. I have Neo because it's fun for me and my friends, and because besides my NES it's the only gaming platform I own. I had been contemplating getting a new Xbox or Playstation or something, until I realized I didn't like the new games at all, so I went with Neo Geo MVS. It cost about the same as buying a current gen. gaming rig. No biggie.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Dionlimo.jpg

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
so its been established that most of us actually have jobs... what does everyone do?

i'm a cook... slingin steaks all day long

Vlad

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
I guess it all depends on how much money do you have and what your priorities are

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
8 years ago, I was making about half of what I do now.... I had so much more disposable income because I was mooching off my parents for rent..... Man, I wish I had been smarter with my money back then....

Drakon

New Challenger
I bought a 50$ mvs and built a supergun. MVS games = affordable

Last edited:

ulasamosa

Astra Superstar
I guess it all depends on how much money do you have and what your priorities are

haha I didn't care at all about priorities. When I bought my US Metal Slug 1 AES it cost me 1 missed a car payment, 2 missed credit card payments, cell phone turned off and the girl I was dating at the time.......I still stand by my decision.

powerlink

n00b
Well as a 24yo university student I don't exactly have money just laying around so I have had to collect with some restraint. I managed after waiting about 6 months to find a boxed AES with 2 joysticks for a great price. The 4 AES games I have purchased are NAM 1975, Magician Lord, SS2 JPN, Fatal Fury Special JPN all games which are not to expensive. My plan for games like the Metal Slug series and others that are just for me out of my price range will be to get a MVS-AES Super Converter. I put off collecting Neo Geo until I was done with my other collections as I knew there is a premium with this stuff. I am not surprised either the Neo Geo is a very unique vision for a platform.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I am a pharmacist and I can buy whatever I want now, but I am cheap so I don't usually splurge ( I had buyers remorse for like a whole week after dropping $400 on a ps3). I actually did not pay for the majority of my collection, as I have been collecting since I was 8 or 9 (now 30) and all I ever asked for on my birthday and Christmas and anniversaries and valentines...was video games! As you can see in my sig, I have aquired quite a large collection and I am about to hit the 1000 game mark!

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
Yeah most of us are adults and have jorbs so we can afford 'this shit'.

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yeah most of us are adults and have jorbs so we can afford 'this shit'.

wtf?!

when i say 'kids' i hope everyone knows that i don't think of everyone here as a child.. its merely an expression..

congrats on your 'jorb' there sweet pea...