Final Burn Alpha for PSP

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
For those that don't read the shmups boards, indstr brought this to everyones attention over there. Apparently, some people are working on porting FBA over to the PSP and just recently dropped the first release of it: FBA4PSP - NeoGeo, CPS1, CPS2 Emulator for PSP

Now, we've already got flawless emus for CPS1/2 and Neo Geo, but this one is emulating Cave and PGM stuff. So we're talking Dangun Feveron, ESP ra.de., (Do)DonPachi, Guwange, etc. The only thing I could get working were 1945k III (rip-off of Psikyo's Strikers III), DonPachi, and Sonic Wings / Aero Fighters. No sound yet, but it looks to be full speed.

So, a promising first release. Hopefully there will be further development on this one.

SSS

neo retired
I got Donpachi working, not sure why the others aren't. According to the gamelist they should be supported

Last edited:

subcons

I've got it loaded up and can see guwange on the list, but I can't get it to load.

Yeah, it's not going to. I think the list in the package pertains to the actual FBA for PC. This is a port, and version 0.1 mind you, so most of those games aren't going to work yet. I tried loading everything that wasn't CPS or Neo (because that would just be redundant when we already have an emulator for those) and could only get those three games above to work.

EDIT: You ninja edited... still the same response though.

SSS

neo retired
oh well, looks promising. From the looks of DonPachi it looks like the cave driver runs buttery smooth.

BIG

sony fanboy
haven't been tinkering with my psp for quite sometime now. looks rather promising.

does it work with slim, or is it phat-only?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
NICE. Hopefully this will be up to snuff in the next year or so...

Until then its the GP2X. Just got done playing some DoDonpachi, Esprade, and Progear on it while waiting at the car wash. Runs absolutely beautifully with sound.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
About fucking time. I was expecting this much sooner and it could have been done with the existing CPS/NEO emu but the damn fucks never tried. I guess it may soon be time to once again dust my PSP fatty and smoke me some shooters.

subcons

does it work with slim, or is it phat-only?

At this point, it actually works better with the slim because it has more memory. It's supposedly running ESPrade without sound. I have a phat, so I couldn't check that particular game out.

BIG

sony fanboy
At this point, it actually works better with the slim because it has more memory. It's supposedly running ESPrade without sound. I have a phat, so I couldn't check that particular game out.

Finally got around to trying it.
'Rade, ddp, and donpachi work great.
Very impressed with this emu so far.
Hopefully they will add sound with the next update.
Did any of you manage to get guwange running?

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
I installed this the other day, just to play Dodonpachi however I can't seem to get the game to run.

The Emu fires up and I navigate to the ROM selection screen, I see the DODONPACH.zip file, but I can't click on it.

I am just using a regular MAME ROM, do I have to convert it or something?

:(

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I installed this the other day, just to play Dodonpachi however I can't seem to get the game to run.

The Emu fires up and I navigate to the ROM selection screen, I see the DODONPACH.zip file, but I can't click on it.

I am just using a regular MAME ROM, do I have to convert it or something?

:(

I have the same problem.

subcons

I have the same problem.

Are you guys using phats? If so, you'll have no luck. Only Donpachi will work right now due to memory limitations. Works fine if you have a slim however.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Are you guys using phats? If so, you'll have no luck. Only Donpachi will work right now due to memory limitations. Works fine if you have a slim however.

AAaarghh that's why.

I do have a slim, but it has a recent firmware so I would imagine that it will never work as it needs older hacked firmware(s)?

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple

Nope, I'm using a slim and still can't get it to work.

subcons

Nope, I'm using a slim and still can't get it to work.

Try a different ROM maybe? I have a phat as well, so I don't know. Seems people using slims have no problem getting it up and running though.

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Try a different ROM maybe? I have a phat as well, so I don't know. Seems people using slims have no problem getting it up and running though.

I've been trying different roms but still can't get esprade or dodonpachi to work. Does the emulator automatically know it's being used on a slim, or do I have to do something so it looks for the extra ram?

subcons

I've been trying different roms but still can't get esprade or dodonpachi to work. Does the emulator automatically know it's being used on a slim, or do I have to do something so it looks for the extra ram?

Nah, there shouldn't be anything you have to do. It'll just know there's enough memory to run it. I don't know man. I'd say just wait for another release really. Not worth the trouble at this point. It's neat that the games are running, but they don't even have sound yet.

subcons

goddamnit.
where's the update?

Ha.

These things generally move slow. Just forget about it for now and I'm sure it'll come along eventually.

adrenalinq

n00b
Yeah, well, I got phat one :( I read chineese guy's blog and he told that caching for Phat one is impossible... Aghhhh!!! Thanks a lot Sony! Take your crap back!

subcons

Yeah, well, I got phat one :( I read chineese guy's blog and he told that caching for Phat one is impossible... Aghhhh!!! Thanks a lot Sony! Take your crap back!

I don't see why making a cache file would be impossible. It's just up to the devs of the emulator if they want to create a way for us to make cache files. That's what you need to do for the larger CPS2 and Neo roms and they work fine.

Just give it some time and see if they make some progress with this emulator. It'll come.

SSS

neo retired
good evening kids, while searching for an update to this promising emu I found this file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/134183989/fba.rar.html

somewhat confusing as it still carries the same X.XX designation as the mid july release. however games are now working with SOUND. a few more cave shooters are now playable.

I've tested working: Donpachi, DoDonPachi, Esprade and Fever SOS. guwange still will not load, at least however the emulator doesn't crash now.

Still glitchy, there is no forced 60 fps, the cave shooters will go into turbo mode if you don't turn down the cpu clock. 300 mhz seems to be about the best for right now.

Last edited: