Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I rarely watch movies these days, but went ahead and saw The Warriors for the first time after beating the game a few months back. I love the cinematography and soundtrack, even if the story itself feels stilted and doesn't really take off too much into character development territory.

The Warriors is perfect for what it is, which is a tight 90 minute action thriller. Such films have almost become a lost art.

No further story or character development is necessary. To suggest otherwise is almost sacrilegious. The Warriors is a classic of the genre.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
That's on my "to-do" for sure...

Meanwhile...my daughter and I finished Friday the 13th Part IV last night...chugging along.

Parts 1 -4 are great but man....I did not like Part V. Haven't seen the later ones but after V, not sure I want to.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Parts 1 -4 are great but man....I did not like Part V. Haven't seen the later ones but after V, not sure I want to.

If you enjoyed the first four, you'll probably like VI/Jason Lives. It's the beginning of Kane Hodder's run and is one of the better written Friday films. VII isn't very good and had a shoestring budget (even by the standards of these movies) but it's a fun break from the formula (Jason vs. a telekinetic). VIII is baaaad. Corny as shit and the deaths suck. Jason Goes to Hell (IX) is also terrible but because it's barely a Friday movie. Jason X has its moments but it feels like a Sci-Fi original movie. The remake is okay but thoroughly unnecessary.

I guess what I'm trying to say is watch them all... there isn't much else to do right now. But definitely watch 6.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You left out Freddy vs Jason

Horror humor film with some pretty good moments.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I didn't like 6 because it seemed like a step backwards. I liked the idea of Tommy becoming the new killer, and I wish they had gone forward with that.

Also, Kane Hodder sucks as Jason. Way too emotive. I really think the only reason he was ever popular as Jason was because of the way he embraced and engaged the fandom, which was kind of unusual in the pre-social media days. But his approach to the character is part of the franchise's decline.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I got a guilty pleasure soft spot for jason vs freddy and jason x, i seriously find them hysterical in parts i mean laugh out loud funny.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I got a guilty pleasure soft spot for jason vs freddy and jason x, i seriously find them hysterical in parts i mean laugh out loud funny.

Jason VS Freddy was one of those movies meant to be seen late at night in a packed theater with people unafraid to yell out during certain parts (something like someone saying, "awww HELL NAW" and everyone laughing). It was so good. There's really no other way to see it. Shit, take me back to 2003 for that again.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Gotta agree lonesage would've been a blast watching them in a packed cinema with like minded people.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
If we're talking slashers, I've always been partial to Scream. The first film is possibly my favorite in the genre. Scream 2 is also a good sequel, but not as good as the original.

Scream 3 wasn't very good. Scream 4 was pretty decent.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I went to see Scream when I was in Amsterdam in '96. Place was full and the beer was flowing. Fucking great time, that was.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Scream is a good movie but its meta bullshit tanked the horror genre for years.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Hamilton

Didnt have money for tickets and I hate dressing up, and truth be told, I'm not a hiphop/rap fan, although I *am* a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda, so I checked it out. That shit was awesome. I wish I could say I was an American History buff, but I flunked outta that shit hard. Or at least squeaked by on a 69.9. Anyway, the music was fantastic, nice dispersal of humor and breaking the 4th wall, and King George was the absolute shit. If you've got D+ and 3 hours to kill on a Saturday night, check it out.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I gotta say I am enjoying HBO Max. Turns out they have all the original Superman movies. Just watched the first, which is still awesome, but will make my way through all of them.

Wish I realized I was paying for this crap all along. Lots of other goodies too. Next, I think I’ll watch Spies Like Us.

I noticed they have Dr. Sleep. Kind of want to watch it, but I dunno...I was too chicken shit to play the Resident Evil 2 remake...I don’t know if I can take it. I’ve become soft and weak in my old age...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Dr Sleep is awesome
Scream is awesome.
It's true that the meta stuff was lame but it did give way to very decent films. I know what you did last summer, the first one, was pretty brilliant for what it was. And more recently Happy Deathday is really entertaining and you can see the heritage (though I think it owes as much to Final destination (which itself is a lot of fun)

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I watched the first 10 minutes and got spooked. I’ll try again tomorrow.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
In the meantime, start searching the house for your balls.

I ended up watching The Goonies instead - but I found myself muting the tv every time that fat kid Chunk opened his mouth. Every thing bothers me.

So this is what it’s like to get old...

:(

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If you enjoyed the first four, you'll probably like VI/Jason Lives. It's the beginning of Kane Hodder's run and is one of the better written Friday films. VII isn't very good and had a shoestring budget (even by the standards of these movies) but it's a fun break from the formula (Jason vs. a telekinetic). VIII is baaaad. Corny as shit and the deaths suck. Jason Goes to Hell (IX) is also terrible but because it's barely a Friday movie. Jason X has its moments but it feels like a Sci-Fi original movie. The remake is okay but thoroughly unnecessary.

I guess what I'm trying to say is watch them all... there isn't much else to do right now. But definitely watch 6.

We're through 6 at the moment...and yes, 6 was solid. 5 was really limp, that's for sure.

My only beef is that in 5/6, the gore is really turned down a notch. Lots of assumed violence where he's choking someone out, or it cuts before the gore would kick in.

I'm not really looking forward to 7 and 8. I've seen 8, it's terrible. I think we can watch Freddie vs Jason for free, we can't watch Jason Goes to Hell without a fee and it's not really worth it. X never interested me. I really wish I could get the Nightmare on Elm street movies for free. I may land up getting a box set if I can find one at a reasonable price. They're dumb too, but much better than the 13th films.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The coroner eating Jason's heart in Jason Goes to Hell is still one of the most disgusting things I've seen on cinema, I couldn't eat chicken mcnuggets for a while after that. I saw it in the theater I'm half-certain...I was a month or two before turning 7 when it came out. Huh

I'd like to watch New Nightmare again.

My personal favorite - as a kid - was Pet Sematary II.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
In the meantime, start searching the house for your balls.

So I found my balls and ended up watching Dr. Sleep. It really wasn’t very scary at all - I just hated looking at that shower lady...nasty stuff. At least in the Shining we got to see her before she got all disgusting. Big disappointment there, Soured the whole experience.

I give the movie 2 F’s down.

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
Big horror fan here, grew up on all the classics. I recently subscribed to Amazon Prime and they have a channel called Shudder that I immediately jumped on, it is all horror movies.

I saw the Sleepaway Camp movies when I was like 3/4 years old, so, I barely remembered them. Watched the first two as they are on Shudder, first one is better. Part 2 has some of the worst acting ever, but, gore was great.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Big horror fan here, grew up on all the classics. I recently subscribed to Amazon Prime and they have a channel called Shudder that I immediately jumped on, it is all horror movies.

I saw the Sleepaway Camp movies when I was like 3/4 years old, so, I barely remembered them. Watched the first two as they are on Shudder, first one is better. Part 2 has some of the worst acting ever, but, gore was great.

Sleepaway Camp rules.