What's the worst city you've ever lived in or visited?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Anyone here been to Naples, Italy?

I've heard that it's horrible, but I have only been to Northern Italy.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Speaking of: Fresno is Bakersfield with more people and crime and is farther away from Los Angeles and Vegas.

To be entirely honest, the Central Valley could probably put at least a dozen cities on any worst cities list. Taft is probably king in a lot of ways, but Sanger, Exeter and some of those smaller towns are worse off.

Yeah, you're completely right. Fresno is a huge shithole.

Crime is constantly getting worse, even in the small communities surrounding Fresno that were traditionally good places to live.

The only thing good there is the meth.

This would be comforting to me if I liked meth.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Cairo, Egypt.

Think of Los Angeles surviving a horrible, building-breaking earthquake in the midst of a perpetual, never-ending dust bowl. Oh - with Houston TX zoning laws (that's a joke for "There are no zoning laws in Houston.") That was my impression from 2005.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Paris.
I dunno, I just disliked it. Was so over hyped. It takes forever to navigate, its dirty, the people are just awful (I went with an open mind, but fuck they are not nice), and at the end of day I had greatly enjoyed the other cities I visited on my backpacking trip.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've been to some pretty lousy cities but the one that constantly takes the cake for me is Chicago. Chicago offers some pretty amazing things (as well as high expectations of it being a premiere US city destination) but then washes all of that away with insane prices, rude ass people and ridiculous traffic. It is absurd how expensive shit is in Chicago...after having been to many other major US cities, Chicago constantly takes the cake as one of the costliest places I've been...and often for no reason. Gas, parking, food, hotels...often some of the highest prices I've ever paid anywhere. Couple that to the rude/miserable motherfuckers around every corner and it makes for a place I more than often dread rather than look forward to visiting.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Update: Ft. Pierce/Port St. Lucie, FL--Unless if you're a retiree who's into Spring Training and minor league baseball or like to commute to West Palm Beach and/or Ft. Lauderdale down south, there's no need to live in or near this giant truck stop of a town.

20 Year Member
I'll elaborate a bit on Athens.

Athens is one of the most congested cities I have ever visited. 3/4 of the traffic is small motorized scooters that drive up sidewalks and in between lanes. I can't tell you how many people I saw pissing on the sidewalk. Traffic rage is far and beyond anything i've seen in the US. Athens has by far the worst panhandling problem i've seen anywhere. The metro is basically a huge concentration of panhandlers and gypsies begging for money. At one point during a coffee break at a small cafe on Mitropoleos Street, I was approached 5-7 times by different panhandlers with hands extended saying "Parakalo? Parakalo?".

By default, Taxi drivers will turn off their meters and attempt to charge you a flat 20-30 Euros for a short ride within town. Not terribly uncommon in some places, but still annoying. However, the people were fairly friendly in general.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
LOL, if Toronto is the worst city you've ever visited you've had a pretty nice travel life.

I was about to say the same thing. Toronto can be a bit dull, I guess, but that's it.

Cairo, Egypt.

I'll second this. I'm glad I went there for the sights, but the city itself was horrible. Absolutely filthy, shitty food, the worst traffic I've ever seen in my life (literally)... I could go on. I feel bad for the Egyptians -- Cairo is pretty awful.

Paris.
I dunno, I just disliked it. Was so over hyped. It takes forever to navigate, its dirty, the people are just awful (I went with an open mind, but fuck they are not nice), and at the end of day I had greatly enjoyed the other cities I visited on my backpacking trip.

You're really going to say that Paris is the worst city you've ever visited? The very worst? Come on man. There's overhyped, and there's terrible. I think Paris might be the former for you, but the latter? Somehow I doubt it.

And for the record, there are way more dickish people out there than the Parisians. Waaay worse.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I forgot to add: I've been there a couple times, and I've always thought that Edmonton is pretty shitty. For some reason, I really just don't like it there at all. That's more of a personal bias, though.

Curt

apostate
Oakland.

Lies

on topic=

Hayward & Palo Alto, CA
-it's where the soul dies

Hayward sucks, but Palo Alto is fucking gorgeous. I would kill to live there next to Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg... EAST Palo Alto on the other hand, thats another story.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I was about to say the same thing. Toronto can be a bit dull, I guess, but that's it.

I'll second this. I'm glad I went there for the sights, but the city itself was horrible. Absolutely filthy, shitty food, the worst traffic I've ever seen in my life (literally)... I could go on. I feel bad for the Egyptians -- Cairo is pretty awful.

You're really going to say that Paris is the worst city you've ever visited? The very worst? Come on man. There's overhyped, and there's terrible. I think Paris might be the former for you, but the latter? Somehow I doubt it.

And for the record, there are way more dickish people out there than the Parisians. Waaay worse.

In terms of major cities? The only one that could TRULY top it was Peoria Illinois. Now that was just a fucking turd of a land.

Beyond that, yea, I really disliked Paris

20 Year Member
Never been to Paris, but I've heard similar thoughts from people who have visited. They can have it.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Never been to Paris, but I've heard similar thoughts from people who have visited. They can have it.

I think if I had someone to show me the ins and outs I'd like it more, but without that insider knowledge I went to the hotspots of Paris which are just touristy disasters.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I still work in Chicago.. but Milwaukee is awesome in comparison. cheap, fun, good people, bar dice... etc.
One of the reasons I left Chi-Town was the higher prices. However, moving from DC to Chicago saw a huge price drop for me as well.

I played a few venues in Atlanta and found it to be pretty gross. Memphis didn't impress me either and just seemed shady.
You know.. Detroit proper isn't so bad anymore. but Flint and Sagnasty are still god awful.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I still work in Chicago.. but Milwaukee is awesome in comparison. cheap, fun, good people, bar dice... etc.
One of the reasons I left Chi-Town was the higher prices. However, moving from DC to Chicago saw a huge price drop for me as well.

I played a few venues in Atlanta and found it to be pretty gross. Memphis didn't impress me either and just seemed shady.
You know.. Detroit proper isn't so bad anymore. but Flint and Sagnasty are still god awful.

Chicago is not bad in prices compared to NYC, LA, London, or any major cities like that. Yea, compared to the suburbs its pretty damn pricey, but its an awesome place to be. I always seem to find something new everytime I visit.

20 Year Member
Atanta isn't that bad. It all depends on where you go. There is a large population of homeless people in and around the city, and I have been approached and threatened in the past.

Some of the North Atlanta suburbs are nice: Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta, Buford.

Places to avoid (mostly at night) are: College Park, East Point, Forest Park, Midtown.

Generally, you want to avoid the South and SouthWestern regions of the metro area. I typically avoid downtown if possible.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Europe south of the Alps, this isn't just about one single city, or even one single country in particular either.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Chicago is not bad in prices compared to NYC, LA, London, or any major cities like that. Yea, compared to the suburbs its pretty damn pricey, but its an awesome place to be. I always seem to find something new everytime I visit.

Having been to both Chicago and LA...I'd wager Chicago is more expensive. Now NYC, I haven't been there yet.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
gary indiana, east st louis il, and newark nj.

just awful situations there with no redeeming qualities.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
In terms of major cities? The only one that could TRULY top it was Peoria Illinois. Now that was just a fucking turd of a land.

Beyond that, yea, I really disliked Paris

Ha!

I live right across the river from Peoria...if Peoria is Chicago's toilet...then I live in Peoria's toilet...