The Comic Book Thread

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Getting Batman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Blue Beetle, Green lantern Corps, and Nightwing

There's more but those are Marvel and Image

I did have high hopes for Red Hood & The Outlaws but from what a friend tells me about how Starfire is in the book with Roy basically being two steps away from being "Roy The Cable Guy" I'm really worried about it now

Last edited:
I haven't read comics in years but I just picked up the Stephen King Dark Tower graphic novels in hardback. It collects the story in a 2 hardback box, like 600 pages in total. I've been trying to finish reading the books, and I'm working on #5 of 7 right now.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I've read Wonder Woman, and I really liked it a lot. Actually, I think this is one of the better relaunches for sure. The character has been pretty stagnant lately, and this is a nice jolt of life.

Azzarello said it was going to be a sort of horror book, which sounded crazy to me, but now that I've read it it's definitely got a horror meets Greek mythology vibe. Very cool.

I'm also a Cliff Chiang fan, so I'm loving it. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by it.

I also liked Catwoman -- I almost hate to admit it, since I'm not a big Judd Winick fan, but holy shit, did he bring the sexy back to Catwoman or what. Pretty good read.

I thought Red Hood and the Outlaws was cool too. It's nice to see Jason Todd getting over his stupid obsession with Batman. I liked the new direction with Starfire, too. I've been an Arsenal fan for a long time, and I was pretty mad when they killed his kid and just generally made him a fuckup again. So seeming him back in the saddle (with a bow again, thank god) is very welcome for me. Thumbs up.

I got like 6 other DC titles too, but I'll talk about 'em later. I will say that I didn't think any of them were bad, though. So far the relaunch has been pretty awesome, I think.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Read Red Hood & The Outlaws, everything was great except what they've done with Starfire who is basically just the resident nympho of the book. Really not sure if I'm going to continue past issue two. Also found it odd they're tip toeing around Jason's time as "evil"since once upon a time that is still canon he made it his mission to be obsessed with proving Bruce wrong and being known as THE best Robin, hell even the last arc of Batman & Robin was about that

Really worried about Teen Titans now

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
What does everyone think of the new Ultimates books? And why is Reed Richards evil now?

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I collect early Conan comics, Im trying to get 1-100 before I start collecting Savag Sword. Yes the 70s ones ,
I'd do it the other way around. Savage Sword was far superior to the regular comic, imo. Yes, they were black and white, but the stories were longer and more epic, the art (at least as long as people like John Buscema or Ernie Chan or Alfredo Alcala were doing it) was more lush (not to mention, larger), and the Savage Sword comics were a lot more graphic in general, which fits the character and material. They could get away with a lot more in Savage Sword of Conan, because they sold it as a magazine rather than a comic book, so it didn't have to adhere to the Comics Code at all.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
What does everyone think of the new Ultimates books? And why is Reed Richards evil now?

Besides Millar's run on Ultimates and Ultimates 3( mainly for Joe Mad's art ) I never bothered with the Ultimate Universe until Esad Ribic joined the art team for the new Ultimates and Miles Morales. I think I'm going to skip Ultimate X-Men

My understanding on Reed is that after Ultimatum his view on the world changed to basically Dr. Doom's point of view

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My understanding on Reed is that after Ultimatum his view on the world changed to basically Dr. Doom's point of view
This is the most interesting thing about the Ultimate Universe, imo. There was a great Word Balloon interview with Bendis where he explained Ultimate Reed's arc and how his origin from the beginning of Ultimate FF was actually kind of a villain's origin all along, and when you look at the events from that character's perspective and without the built-in assumption that a Reed Richards has to be a hero by default, you can kind of see it.

I wish I remembered which interview it was, because it was interesting (although all the Bendis Word Balloon interviews are always worth listening to, regardless of your opinion of his work). It might have been in the set from May-June 2010. If it's not in those, it might be the set from February-March 2011.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
This is the most interesting thing about the Ultimate Universe, imo. There was a great Word Balloon interview with Bendis where he explained Ultimate Reed's arc and how his origin from the beginning of Ultimate FF was actually kind of a villain's origin all along, and when you look at the events from that character's perspective and without the built-in assumption that a Reed Richards has to be a hero by default, you can kind of see it.

I wish I remembered which interview it was, because it was interesting (although all the Bendis Word Balloon interviews are always worth listening to, regardless of your opinion of his work). It might have been in the set from May-June 2010. If it's not in those, it might be the set from February-March 2011.

Richards as a villain really intrigues me and I love that he's the main baddie in the Ultimates. I just started to subscribe to the word ballon podcast, thanks for telling me about this STK, I'll see if I can find it

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I like that Ultimate Reed is basically a distillation of the "Council" of Reeds from various universes in the 616 from Fantastic Four and FF. I agree with you guys that he has the potential to be a much greater villain than hero, especially in the same vein as Doom. His utter respect of science fits the perspective of "I know what's best for everything and everyone".

Concerning Ultimates, so far so good for the newest volume in my opinion. That said, the first volume is the only one that I really liked up to this point. Joe Mad's art on V3 was great, but the characters and writing were just atrocious.

My favorite Ultimate books have been Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Iron Man. I liked what I saw in the relaunch debut of USM, but I want to see where they take the character before I hunker down and put it on my pull. Maybe after the first arc.

HeartlessNinny

Every time I think about the Ultimate universe and wonder if I should get back into it, I remember that every book costs $4 for some stupid reason. And what really kills me is that Marvel screamed bloody murder when DC went to 20 pages an issue, but now a lot of Marvel books are cutting pages too. The last issue of Cap, for example, was 20 pages. And it was four bucks.

Given that I'm really liking what DC is doing, I have a hard time with the idea of giving Marvel my cash. One ought to vote with one's wallet, after all. (I'll still buy X Factor as long as Peter David's on it though.)

HeartlessNinny

Read Red Hood & The Outlaws, everything was great except what they've done with Starfire who is basically just the resident nympho of the book. Really not sure if I'm going to continue past issue two. Also found it odd they're tip toeing around Jason's time as "evil"since once upon a time that is still canon he made it his mission to be obsessed with proving Bruce wrong and being known as THE best Robin, hell even the last arc of Batman & Robin was about that

Really worried about Teen Titans now

I really disagree with you here. Starfire wasn't just a nympho, she genuinely seemed alien to me. I've always hated how she used to basically just be a human with orange skin (and no sense of shame), and now she really seems like she comes from another world. I admit it was kind of gratuitous, but I'd rather have something be gratuitous and interesting than restrained and boring.

I didn't really think there was any tip-toeing, either. It seems they're gonna delve into Jason Todd's past pretty soon. And he did run around shooting guys in the face for half the issue, which is not something DC heroes generally do.

Either way I thought it was an interesting first issue, and I'm happy to give it a chance. But hey, if it's not your bag, who am I to tell you otherwise. You're a nutcase who thinks Geoff Johns sucks anyway. :)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm the same way with Marvel and their $4. I get halfway interested in something, remember it's $4, and say fuck it nevermind. Especially if I think about the times I've heard someone from Marvel defending and rationalizing the price hike. Then I really say fuck it.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I really disagree with you here. Starfire wasn't just a nympho, she genuinely seemed alien to me. I've always hated how she used to basically just be a human with orange skin (and no sense of shame), and now she really seems like she comes from another world. I admit it was kind of gratuitous, but I'd rather have something be gratuitous and interesting than restrained and boring.

We'll agree to disagree, as a fan of Starfire that was a horrible thing to see. Before I found her to have a personality, with that she had none

I didn't really think there was any tip-toeing, either. It seems they're gonna delve into Jason Todd's past pretty soon. And he did run around shooting guys in the face for half the issue, which is not something DC heroes generally do.

He went from all out trying to kill every other Robin to even buying out one of Bruce's dummy corporations to then in this issue turn around and say "Gotham is crazy as are THOSE guys", unless Jason has a new weed addiction that is the fasted turn around for a life goal I've ever seen or maybe not since he still has a bat insignia on his chest

Either way I thought it was an interesting first issue, and I'm happy to give it a chance. But hey, if it's not your bag, who am I to tell you otherwise.

Scott better knock my socks off or do something to make up for the Starfire incident with issue #2, I stood by him on his X-Men run

You're a nutcase who thinks Geoff Johns sucks anyway. :)

I like Rob Liefeld ;)

HeartlessNinny

We'll agree to disagree, as a fan of Starfire that was a horrible thing to see. Before I found her to have a personality, with that she had none

See, I think you're way off. She didn't lack a personality at all, she's just very much 'of the moment'. Besides, it's one issue, and they were mostly setting up the Roy/Jason thing. I know people drop titles after one issue all the time, but it's a bit unfair to say, "Hey, they didn't cram 10 years of character work into four pages! Fuck this book!" if you ask me.

He went from all out trying to kill every other Robin to even buying out one of Bruce's dummy corporations to then in this issue turn around and say "Gotham is crazy as are THOSE guys", unless Jason has a new weed addiction that is the fasted turn around for a life goal I've ever seen or maybe not since he still has a bat insignia on his chest

Okay, well, first off, this is a relaunch. There are differences in a lot of characters. You can't really complain if things aren't exactly the same as before. Second, the whole Jason vs Batman thing was getting really old, really fast. It was a flawed concept to begin with, since Jason is never going to beat Batman at his own game.

If the whole book was about him obsessing over Batman and being, in effect, a Batman villain, I don't think it would have any kind of legs at all. The idea of Jason actually getting out there and doing his own thing is interesting. Rehashing the same old conflicts isn't.

Scott better knock my socks off or do something to make up for the Starfire incident with issue #2, I stood by him on his X-Men run

Sounds like your expectations are so high that they can't possibly be met.

I like Rob Liefeld ;)

Utter madness. If I live to be a million years old, I will never ever understand why people like that guy. I just don't get it at all. But hey, to each their own I guess.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
See, I think you're way off. She didn't lack a personality at all, she's just very much 'of the moment'. Besides, it's one issue, and they were mostly setting up the Roy/Jason thing. I know people drop titles after one issue all the time, but it's a bit unfair to say, "Hey, they didn't cram 10 years of character work into four pages! Fuck this book!" if you ask me.

Wasn't much of a moment when Roy is just asking her questions and she just brushes him off and asks if they're going to fuck or not. There's probably a million ways that Lobdell could have been handled that better then making it look like a skinemax scene

Okay, well, first off, this is a relaunch. There are differences in a lot of characters. You can't really complain if things aren't exactly the same as before. Second, the whole Jason vs Batman thing was getting really old, really fast. It was a flawed concept to begin with, since Jason is never going to beat Batman at his own game.

If the whole book was about him obsessing over Batman and being, in effect, a Batman villain, I don't think it would have any kind of legs at all. The idea of Jason actually getting out there and doing his own thing is interesting. Rehashing the same old conflicts isn't.

True, by his second appearance in Batman & Robin his schtick was old( amongst other things about that story ) and I'm all for him moving on which was one of the draws this book had for me when it was announced. Instead it's another example of DC not committing to this relaunch/reboot by having their cake and eating it too

Sounds like your expectations are so high that they can't possibly be met.

Nope was just expecting him to do what he does best and I got mediocre stuff, I had high expectations for Synder's Batman and those were met, same with Nightwing and that was the book I was worried about the most

Utter madness. If I live to be a million years old, I will never ever understand why people like that guy. I just don't get it at all. But hey, to each their own I guess.

That's exactly how I feel about Johns, I get why people don't like Bendis, Liefeld and especially Loeb, But with Johns I don't see what's to like as I've seen him do more harm then good

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Wonder Woman was fantastic.

RE: Rob Liefeld

I can't stand Liefeld's art, myself. It pushes me off of books, to be honest. I'll red Hawk & Dove if/when he leaves.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Wonder Woman was fantastic.

I keep hearing that and I semi regret not putting that on my pull as I think my shop might be sold out. I've never been a Wonder Woman fan( even though both Azz and Chang are two of my fav creators ) and neither has one of my friends but when he said the same thing you just said well might have to get it digitally.

RE: Rob Liefeld

I can't stand Liefeld's art, myself. It pushes me off of books, to be honest. I'll red Hawk & Dove if/when he leaves.

He gives me the sense that if he can do it so can I from his writing to art, the man made me want to get as good as my fav artist

Holy shit did I just admit to being inspired by Rob Liefeld!?!?! Does this mean I'm going to get banned and I have to turn in my geek card!?!?!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I keep hearing that and I semi regret not putting that on my pull as I think my shop might be sold out. I've never been a Wonder Woman fan( even though both Azz and Chang are two of my fav creators ) and neither has one of my friends but when he said the same thing you just said well might have to get it digitally.

I've never been a fan of WW either, but mostly because there are very few interpretations of the character that haven't failed me. When I see her on the JLU cartoon or in any of the current DCU animated stuff, I always think 'Why can't she be that cool in the comics?'

I always feel sorry for her in the comics.

Just like I feel Sub-Mariner is Marvel's most criminally wasted character, given his history and importance in that universe (Lee, Thomas and Byrne are the only writers that ever really knew what to do with him, IMO), WW is DC's most tragically mishandled character.

And it's not about the swords and the amazon warrior stuff. It's not about being a badass or being one of a few people that can hit Superman hard enough that he'd feel it. Capturing the essence of Wonder Woman, what makes the character endure and be one of DC's iconic three characters (yes, I think she rates higher than GL or Flash when you look at the entire DCU mythology,) has been tricky for a lot of creators over the years. And I'm not really sure why. Seems like the template is there-the portrayal of the character in her animated special, or in the Batman/Superman animated movie where hey take on Darkseid (forget the name) are spot on.

He gives me the sense that if he can do it so can I from his writing to art, the man made me want to get as good as my fav artist

It wouldn't be that hard, honestly. Just trace a bunch of Frank Miller and Katsuhiro Otomo art and draw people without ankles and shriveled, pruny faces. And give the women hourglass bodies and giant breasts so that you can distract readers from noticing how bad you are.

Holy shit did I just admit to being inspired by Rob Liefeld!?!?! Does this mean I'm going to get banned and I have to turn in my geek card!?!?!

I don't think so. Just find a better artist to inspire you:D

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I've never been a fan of WW either, but mostly because there are very few interpretations of the character that haven't failed me. When I see her on the JLU cartoon or in any of the current DCU animated stuff, I always think 'Why can't she be that cool in the comics?'

I always feel sorry for her in the comics.

Just like I feel Sub-Mariner is Marvel's most criminally wasted character, given his history and importance in that universe (Lee, Thomas and Byrne are the only writers that ever really knew what to do with him, IMO), WW is DC's most tragically mishandled character.

And it's not about the swords and the amazon warrior stuff. It's not about being a badass or being one of a few people that can hit Superman hard enough that he'd feel it. Capturing the essence of Wonder Woman, what makes the character endure and be one of DC's iconic three characters (yes, I think she rates higher than GL or Flash when you look at the entire DCU mythology,) has been tricky for a lot of creators over the years. And I'm not really sure why. Seems like the template is there-the portrayal of the character in her animated special, or in the Batman/Superman animated movie where hey take on Darkseid (forget the name) are spot on.

Spot on especially with Namor

It wouldn't be that hard, honestly. Just trace a bunch of Frank Miller and Katsuhiro Otomo art and draw people without ankles and shriveled, pruny faces. And give the women hourglass bodies and giant breasts so that you can distract readers from noticing how bad you are.

I did use to trace all of Otomo's designs for buildings and vehicles

I don't think so. Just find a better artist to inspire you:D

Thankfully that list is pretty long:lolz:

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Justice League Dark is the third book I've been really wanting, here's a preview

I hear that. The preview looks good, and Magic/Space-centric books have largely been my favorites to come out of The Big Two (Shadowpact, Dr. 13: Architecture and Morality and Reign In Hell in DC's case) in the last 5 years or so. Plus, it has Shade The Changing Man (a personal favorite character), so that was a sealed deal in my case. I can't wait to pick it up next week!

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Can anyone recommend a good online comic shop other than My Comic Shop and Mile High? Im looking for Scott Snyders Detective Comics run and not having much luck.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Can anyone recommend a good online comic shop other than My Comic Shop and Mile High? Im looking for Scott Snyders Detective Comics run and not having much luck.

Honestly, at this point, I'd wait a bit and just pick it up in the collected editions.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Mirror-Scott-Snyder/dp/140123206X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316893189&sr=1-1

The first hardcover is under $20, and has at least the first 6 or 7 issues, which makes the hardcover cheaper than the individual issues anyway.